The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Bar and chain  (Read 901 times)

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
Re: Bar and chain
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 09:33:09 am »
I think we had one of the earlier R. Dad took it back to the dealer it's diesel engine was giving problems.
Thanks to Google today I find the earlier crankshaft mains in the block had to be upgraded.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 11:13:02 am »
Sorry everyone I have to derail this thread one very last time.
While we're on the subject of old John Deere gas tractors ( BTW John Deere is a major player with Stihl Inc. )

I found this comical 7 minute video of a good ole girl from Kansas named Christy "Lone Eagle" McCormick hand starting her 501 cubic inch John Deere D tractor.
She is a commercial airline pilot with over 3000 hours under her belt.
Watch this whole short video, it's priceless entertainment.  :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 07:20:34 pm »
Good test for uniform bar wear: Remove it and set it on a flat surface so it balances in the same position as an upright saw. If it won't balance. It's done. People have told me they've ground/filed theirs back into balance but i haven't seen it done, seems like machinist work. If it will balance, the tilt or the gaps between the flat surface and bar will show you the amount of wear and location. Keep em oily. Keep flipping em over. Keep filing em.

Actually, it's pretty simple to deburr a bar and true up the rails. I've seen it done on a belt sander with a table to rest the bar on to keep it square with the belt. A less expensive tool is a "Bar Rail Dresser": Just a file and a holder that keep the file square to the bar (or flush with the side if you rotate it 90˚). Just a few swipes and you can true up the rails and another few to deburr the sides. Here's a link to a search on Amazon for Chainsaw Bar Rail Dresser

I thought mine was sold by Pferd, but in looking at the pictures on Amazon, it looks identical to the one sold under the Husqvarna name. It works well. However, there is a limit to how many times you can do this. Eventually you take enough off the rails that the drive links bottom out in the grooves.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow