The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Woodland Pro Chain still good?  (Read 960 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
Re: Woodland Pro Chain still good?
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 06:06:34 am »
I'm still stuck on a house of 7,000 square feet , myself living in slightly over 2,000 .You'd about need a road map to find your way around .The taxes must be about like the national debt .

Offline MNBobcat

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 07:17:58 am »
The first year we burned propane and it cost us $4,000.00 to heat.  I can buy 20 cord of wood for half that and the OWB heats the house, heats the hot water for the house, heats the attached garage on the house (we keep it at 40F all winter) and when I need it I can use a wifi thermostat to remotely turn on heat for my 40 x 80 pole shed!  Ironically, as I type this I have 12 cords being delivered in 15 minutes.  First load.  Will get 1 more load from him.

My wife and I didn't need this big of a house but we bought it planning to have a business.  We have 6 acres (3,000 vines) of grape vines now, we host weddings, we have a B&B and we're going to be building a winery.  For the winery I'll likely be installing geo thermal heat.

I don't know how long I'll burn wood but the boiler has already paid for itself and we like the heat way better than when we're on propane.  Also, we have unlimited hot water as it will make it as fast as it's used.

I'm still stuck on a house of 7,000 square feet , myself living in slightly over 2,000 .You'd about need a road map to find your way around .The taxes must be about like the national debt .

Offline MNBobcat

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 07:31:18 am »
Regarding the woodland chain being hard to file...I don't file chain any more.  I bought a "Super Abrasive CBN 5-3/4" Chainsaw Wheels for 3/8 and .404 Pitch Chains" wheel for my grinder and it does a nice job.

I did find out that the Oregon chart that is published by Oregon has the wrong angle listed for their semi-chisel chain.  The chart listed the top plate angle on DPX chains at 35 degrees and it should be 30.  The full chisel, I believe, are 35 degrees but the semi chisel are 30 degrees.  I see they've removed or at least moved the online chart they had so maybe its been corrected now.

I'll sharpen 2 or 3 chains and then when I go cut I'll swap a chain when it starts getting dull.  I don't go out in the woods any more so I'm always cutting here on my property.  Its easy to go sharpen a chain on the grinder.  I kind of use a tap tap method of grinding where I just bump the wheel lightly against the tooth so that I avoid heat build up.  I get them sharp enough that they pull into the wood so plenty good for me.

Online HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 09:11:38 am »
MNBobcat , how was your grape harvest this year?
Are you doing any ice wine? I remember a while back you were just getting into the business , very fascinating venture in Minnesota.

Actually semi chisel does take a sharper 35 top plate angle.  Chisel takes 30.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline MNBobcat

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 05:22:57 pm »
We got about 7,500 pounds off our first vineyard (900 vines)  The other vineyard isn't producing yet.  We sold all the grapes and aren't yet making wine. Yeah, kind of crazy growing grapes in our climate!!!

My chain came today and it says right on the box that semi chisel has a top plate angle of 30 degrees.

MNBobcat , how was your grape harvest this year?
Are you doing any ice wine? I remember a while back you were just getting into the business , very fascinating venture in Minnesota.

Actually semi chisel does take a sharper 35 top plate angle.  Chisel takes 30.

Online HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 07:37:59 pm »

My chain came today and it says right on the box that semi chisel has a top plate angle of 30 degrees.
You must have a Stihl chain box. Stihl keeps it simple with 30 on all their chains except 10 on their rip chain.
Oregon has their chisel at 25 from 30
Semi chisel DP at 35
Here's my Stihl and Oregon specs on the boxes.

Offline MNBobcat

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 08:30:04 pm »
No, its brand new Oregon chain!  But you proved my point that Oregon is inconsistent on the angles they publish for the top plate for the same kind of chain.

When I have a new chain I put it in the grinder before its ever used and I check the angle of the plate against what my grinder gauge says and then that's the angle I use.

Online HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 10:06:32 pm »
Yeah my roll of Oregon LGX that the boxes that came with it is about 6 years old.
Depending on the angle of the sideplate they put in the top plate can change too.