The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: WoodMaster 718 Planer up for sale  (Read 1272 times)

Offline 2StateTrigger

• Location: Currently N.Tampa but looking at acreage in CO near Pagosa Springs
  • I'm new!
WoodMaster 718 Planer up for sale
« on: October 22, 2017, 11:09:39 pm »
I have read and agree to the rules regarding posting items for sale on FF.

WoodMaster 718 Planer/Molder.....18-inch Molder/Planer with 5HP, 220V, 30-amp.,1-Phase, TEFC cutterhead motor, push button Magnetic Switch with thermal overload protection, Variable-Speed 110V, feed system Gearmotor (allows 70 to over 1,000 cuts-per-inch), set of high-speed steel Planer Knives mounted in precision-balanced, 3-knife cutterhead (head can also be used to mount molding knives), set of Steel Infeed and Outfeed Tables (extends bed length to 42-9/16"), Heavy-Gauge Steel Dust Chute With 4" Port, Super-Slick Polypropylene Bedboard With Guide Rails. This is a ZERO time machine. All work was performed by the 718's big brother, the 725. Asking $3000

If interested in any of this equipment interested individuals should email seller ASAP. This is a 1st Come, 1st Served sale. CASH in hand for the planer. 

SCAMMERS beware, I will not accept any other form of payments. You will be wasting your time by trying to scam me, so lets cut to the chase and skip by me cause I wont fall for your immature scams.

Serious inquiries only please. I wont waste your time so all that I ask is that you dont waste mine. Fair enough?

Best Regards to All

Jeff

Molon Labe

Offline rjwoelk

• countrysidefirewood
Re: WoodMaster 718 Planer up for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:00:37 am »
I have been eyeing those machines for years. I just would like to talk to some one that has used them extensivley for molding, flooring the whole works. We will be building 2 log homes in the next 5 years and would do all the mill work. What made the desision to keep the 725 over the 718. I have read were folks will have up to 3 when doing production. Has any one gone from log to sawmill to molding , flooring.  What was your production loss, say xboard ft of logs to x board ft of finished product.  Cost and time to run xboard ft.
Sorry you are too far away from me. I seldem get down that way with loads.
Have a great day Bob
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 10:33:27 am »
I've got a 712 and just bought a 718 I stumbled on this past weekend.  (I'm still setting up my woodshop one used machine at a time.   ;D)  Others on here have a lot more hours on them than I do though. 

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,92381.msg1422056.html#msg1422056
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,88892.msg1365611.html#msg1365611

Loss will depend on widths and quality you want as well as the quality of the logs.  Trying to get clear flooring from low quality logs will require a lot of defecting and waste.  Rustic grade from low quality, not so bad.  Sticking to no more than 3 widths seems to work with installation and recovery percentage. 

Don't forget kiln drying.

For building two houses, I think the machine would pay for itself.  It won't take a big bite out of the wood, but they are versatile and will do a lot, just not at commercial machine rates (but not commercial machine prices either).
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline MbfVA

• I'm new but the shine is fading...
    • Tanglewood Ordinary Country Restaurant
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 12:25:07 pm »
 For rustic, please make the case for planing versus simply putting the flooring down in its rough milled state and depending on the sanding process.
www.ordinary.com (really); Jim
Always learning & questioning authority
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo w/ 5' slabber
Dougherty RS3000 Tree Saw
Liebherr 621C, Bobcat A300, 430
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Polaris 4 seater, JD old gator
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...
Did I mention, a very small bank account?

Offline 2StateTrigger

• Location: Currently N.Tampa but looking at acreage in CO near Pagosa Springs
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 01:04:40 am »
What made the desision to keep the 725 over the 718.  Has any one gone from log to sawmill to molding , flooring. 
Have a great day Bob

Bob, I purchased both the 718 and the 725 at the same time when I started to set up shop.  I've used the 725 on all of the T&G boards for the pine paneling for my father's sunroom.  I will try to get some pics posted here in the next week or so. 

I decided to keep the 725 over the 718 since the 725 has more capacity (width) hence the sale of the 718. 

If you're serious about purchasing one of these (regardless if it's mine that you purchase) you can always find someone to help transport it by way of using the transportation forum here at FF....or you can find someone using the "UShip" website where you post items that you're needing shipped and shipping/freight companies bid for the business.  Just a thought if you havent considered it....

Best of Luck to you,

Jeff
Molon Labe

Offline rjwoelk

• countrysidefirewood
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 02:12:01 am »
Thanks Jeff for the information.  I am really looking at the 725. I suppose under production more than one machine would save resetting to do different things. Still working on that. Would need a kiln to go with the moldings,  no end in sight, 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 09:15:29 am »
The 725 has some upgrades over the 718, more than just width. Fer instance, 4 feed rollers vs 2 on the 718. 2 on the infeed and 2 on the outfeed.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline rjwoelk

• countrysidefirewood
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 12:35:34 pm »
For rustic, please make the case for planing versus simply putting the flooring down in its rough milled state and depending on the sanding process.

I would say that planing them keeps the majority of the dust chips etc in the shop not all over the house. 

Offline rjwoelk

• countrysidefirewood
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 12:39:36 pm »
Thanks piney.
I think that it is just a better up grade all around. Now if our Canadian dollar gets back to par I will jump on it.

Offline pine

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 02:17:52 pm »
2State Trigger

Question
In the third from the last photo there is a device that is to the right of the feed roller rheostat mounted on the frame.  I don't have that on my 718.  What is that?

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 02:31:05 pm »
2State Trigger

Question
In the third from the last photo there is a device that is to the right of the feed roller rheostat mounted on the frame.  I don't have that on my 718.  What is that?
Added on drum switch to reverse the leads going to the feed motor.. which is a dc motor..Reverses the feed rollers... If you haven't seen the need for that, you will  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline pine

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 02:39:32 pm »
Trust me I have seen the need for it and wish I had it, several times over.  I had heard of folks that had done it but had not seen one or heard how they did it.  Since this specific 718 has zero time I guess he modified it without ever using it. 

I would guess this is not a manufacture modification and thus since you knew what it was immediately it must be a common part number that you and they used to do it.  Please let me know what the part number is. I will get the part and make the mod.  I can't read the part number in the picture.  Thanks

Offline SlowJoeCrow

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 09:43:35 am »
The 725 has some upgrades over the 718, more than just width. Fer instance, 4 feed rollers vs 2 on the 718. 2 on the infeed and 2 on the outfeed.

I think they might have changed this on newer 725's... my 725 bought new this year only has two feed rollers.

Offline uler3161

• Full Member x2
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 11:22:13 am »
Here's a link to the reversing switch: http://woodmastertools.com/NS/accessdetail.cfm?PID=41
1989 LT40HD, 12ft extension, WoodMaster 718, Fordson Major Diesel, Champ CB40 Forklift

Dan