The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Husqvarna 154se?  (Read 962 times)

Offline gman98

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
Husqvarna 154se?
« on: October 21, 2017, 08:56:58 am »
Morning Fella's, I was wondering what insight you guys have on the husqvarna 154se's?  I've got a chance to buy a running one at a pretty good price, and was wondering if they were one of huskies better saws, or junk?

Thanks
Stihl 362 c-m
Husqvarna 562xp

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
Re: Husqvarna 154se?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:44:33 pm »
That was a good saw in it's day, it is getting long in the tooth though. Do you have a Husky dealer or at least a competent saw shop nearby that can help you keep it perking?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 06:49:17 pm »
That's a oldie! I believe it's the predecessor to the 254. Back in the 90s everyone who cut wood in this region had a 254
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline gman98

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 06:59:53 pm »
That's a oldie! I believe it's the predecessor to the 254. Back in the 90s everyone who cut wood in this region had a 254
Seems to me the 50cc saws used to be so much more popular.  I wonder what the change was?
Stihl 362 c-m
Husqvarna 562xp

Offline dogone

• I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 11:09:50 pm »
I have had my 154 from new. Last year I polished the ports and opened up the muffler. Runs real strong. It has not been worked a lot but has been a trouble free saw. Lots of parts around.

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 10:30:46 am »
Seems to me the 50cc saws used to be so much more popular.  I wonder what the change was?

They used to cut and hand pile 4' pulpwood, and a lightweight saw would probably have been ideal for that.  Hard to make a living cutting small diameter stuff with a chainsaw nowadays.  Just a guess.
Chris Elliott

Follow our progress on the Northern Forest Canoe trail summer 2014 here-
 http://chris-and-meghannfct2014.blogspot.com/

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 11:22:12 am »
Bob  has a 154, for some reason even snappier than the successor 254. Simple, great power for the size, still can find part although many are NLA from dealers. That 154, 254, 257 family are favorites of mine. I like them better than the heavier lauded 262 that is based on that chassis. The 262 might make a bit more power but the extra weight and plastic isn't worth the gain to me..:)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, 365/Huztl 52mm build (Cyclops),562xp "HTSS", 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, 440e, Homelite 540, S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, 49sp, 621; Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline gman98

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 11:33:14 am »
Bob  has a 154, for some reason even snappier than the successor 254. Simple, great power for the size, still can find part although many are NLA from dealers. That 154, 254, 257 family are favorites of mine. I like them better than the heavier lauded 262 that is based on that chassis. The 262 might make a bit more power but the extra weight and plastic isn't worth the gain to me..:)
What would you consider to be a good price for a running 154se in relatively good shape with a new bar?

Thanks
Stihl 362 c-m
Husqvarna 562xp

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 12:25:57 pm »

They used to cut and hand pile 4' pulpwood, and a lightweight saw would probably have been ideal for that.  Hard to make a living cutting small diameter stuff with a chainsaw nowadays.  Just a guess.
Processors have pretty well taken over the pulpwood industry. But private woodlot owner's can still get onto the bandwagon with chainsaws.
In my younger years in this area of the Boreal forest(I think you guys in Vermont still call it the "northern forest") I missed out on cutting short pulpwood. We cut it treelength with saws and skidders. Road side cut to length Tanguay slashers did the bucking part.

Today I have no more interest in the forestry production sector. Now it's like farming, biggest operator in the neighborhood with the deepest pockets buys million dollar machines and all his operators are put on hourly rate.

I have found better more profitable work in this Northern forest....cottage country lot clearing and residential tree removal.
My 550XP is now confined to a 13" b/c running a loop of Stihl 33Topic Super chain. Perfect for dissecting our vast black and white spruce, balsam fir. :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 12:33:15 pm »
I am curious why you would run that saw with a short bar. I have never seen a 13" on anything except electrics and small consumer gas saws.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 12:37:55 pm »
That's not smoke in the photo, that's rain.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 12:44:45 pm »
I am curious why you would run that saw with a short bar. I have never seen a 13" on anything except electrics and small consumer gas saws.
Sawguy21, no offense I understand your narrow mindness where you live on the coast of the Pacific northwest.
But in other parts of the world (Boreal forests of the northern hemisphere) pulpwood cutters have efficiently cut small diameter conifer with 13" b/c.

Even Peter Holmquist who introduced Husqvarna to the PNW used one before he went west from the prairies.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 01:40:44 pm »
I am not being 'narrow minded' or argumentative, the day I stop learning I'm either dead or not paying attention. I do  understand the short bar in the northern boreal forest. It's the choice of power head I am curious about, it seems like overkill.

Online Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 02:30:32 pm »
I can see a short bar like that working fine for thinning pine plantations (to waste) here in NZ. Trees would be under 10" dia, but the terrain is often steep. The less weight you have to carry up and down the hills, the better.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 04:35:17 pm »
I am not being 'narrow minded' or argumentative, the day I stop learning I'm either dead or not paying attention. I do  understand the short bar in the northern boreal forest. It's the choice of power head I am curious about, it seems like overkill.
Roy, thanks for understanding. I'm still learning too :D
The Scandinavians for decades preferred the 13"-14" b/c for logging in their Boreal forest, I think they also call it the Taiga forest.
They ran these bars on the 40cc 240XP, 024 Stihls and 50 cc 026, 346-550XP would be upper limit for maxium production.
550XP is still a very compact lightweight powerhead definitely not overkill for a 13" b/c.

I posted this  video many times of the world's greatest chainsaw instructor Soren Eriksson.
Here he's demonstrating the Stihl 034 with a 16" b/c doing the 6 point limbing technique.

I read an article about Soren once saying when he was hired by Stihl back in the early 1980's.  He said Stihl told him to leave his 13"-14" bars in Sweden because the  Americans might not take you seriously.
So he ran a 16 on his 034 and a 18 on a 064. :D

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 05:14:34 pm »
That was interesting

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 02:11:33 pm »

That's exactly right! I caught the tail end of the 4' pulping and did quite abit of it for a few years then it got so it paid just as much for tree length so I stopped now there is no market for 4' pulp here. It also seemed when people were doing a lot of 4' the 16" bar was real popular now most everyone I know uses a 18 or 20 on a 60 to 70cc saw

Offline gman98

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 04:17:34 pm »

That's exactly right! I caught the tail end of the 4' pulping and did quite abit of it for a few years then it got so it paid just as much for tree length so I stopped now there is no market for 4' pulp here. It also seemed when people were doing a lot of 4' the 16" bar was real popular now most everyone I know uses a 18 or 20 on a 60 to 70cc saw
I have even heard of the smaller saws in tree length.  While chopping, I have pondered if a 50cc saw would be a good choice because I lug all my equipment, since I don't have a skidder.  Less fuel and a lighter saw over the days time may equal out to be more production in softwood.  Within the next couple of weeks we will begin timer harvest at school and I'm going to test out running one of the universities 50cc saws compared to my 562xp and see which is more productive.
Stihl 362 c-m
Husqvarna 562xp

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 07:48:57 pm »
It very well could be! It's more of a personal thing anyway what works for you may not work for me and vice versa. I personally feel I get more done with a 372 class saw but that's just me. I know a guy who is retired now but up until a few years ago logged full time and he cut just as much as I do and he used 346xps

Offline gman98

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 08:03:31 pm »
It very well could be! It's more of a personal thing anyway what works for you may not work for me and vice versa. I personally feel I get more done with a 372 class saw but that's just me. I know a guy who is retired now but up until a few years ago logged full time and he cut just as much as I do and he used 346xps
I worked with a guy who ran all 550xp's.  He was the least productive of the crew, but I believe that was more due to his work ethic and attitude than saws lol.  I'd like to get one to compare to a 562.
Stihl 362 c-m
Husqvarna 562xp