The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Pulling the trigger on a new processor this week.  (Read 1914 times)

Offline 1270d

• Senior Member x2
Re: Pulling the trigger on a new processor this week.
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 08:21:41 am »
We bought a 4000 bells this spring.   Ordered it with the attached conveyor, circle saw and no cab.   I wish we hadn't bothered with the attached conveyor and went with a stand-alone.   Just because of the way it tows and it's kind of short for piling. 

It is a nice machine for sure.  Best part is, I haven't had to sharpen one single chain!

how many FULL cords have you run through it at this point??

Haven't done much with it yet.   About 50 full cord so far.   

Online Randy88

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 10:33:38 pm »
Cabs are a must and over time I doubt you'll regret adding it from the start.       

Offline labradorguy

• I stand for our Anthem
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 08:04:40 am »
I have come around to agree with that. There is the safety factor to consider. And when you think about being out of the wind, rain, blowing sawdust.... It will be money well spent.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 11:26:42 pm »
 I recently bought a 6000 bells, originally we where going to have one modified and built without a cab, wouldn't want to be around it without the cab. Brent is real decent, I've had some questions and called up and everyone has been great. Watch the proximity switch pieces on the splitter, they loosen up and keep a small screwdriver handy in case you double click the splitter and she stays ran out. I've got the grizzly on the 32" and it gets out quite a bit of bark and fines. 

The Simonds tool is 140 ? And teeth are 8 bucks each, I've heard guys claim ridiculous amounts of time on teeth, I'm running fairly clean wood and changed a few at 275hrs.

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 05:50:16 pm »
I talked to the owner of bells (Brent?) at the bunyan show this fall and he seemed like a great guy. I asked him why his machines were the best. he answered in great detail and was real informative. I am sold on his machines now I just need to come up with the cash...  ;D  all machines are good and bad. it really all comes down to customer service and it SEEMS like a good company. blockbuster is a great company too but I'm not sure how rugged their machines are?
john

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 11:11:39 pm »
 I know a FF member who has had great service from a larger blockbuster, I wasn't buying another barsaw machine unless it was 3/4 pitch.
 Here's the only thing on the entire machine that I hate, I'm more annoyed that I've got to take belting and carriage bolts and drill holes in a new elevator. This is going to happen 2-3x a day, sometimes you can back it out, the conveyor will run in reverse. Lots of fun climbing up the elevator 1/2 full of wood to knock the piece out. Gap is to wide on the end and a thin piece gets in and jams everything up, stalls elevator.

Offline labradorguy

• I stand for our Anthem
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 02:05:36 pm »
The Simonds tool is 140 ? And teeth are 8 bucks each, I've heard guys claim ridiculous amounts of time on teeth, I'm running fairly clean wood and changed a few at 275hrs.

So are you saying you like the sharpening tool or just swapping teeth out?

Offline 1270d

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 09:10:06 am »
I know a FF member who has had great service from a larger blockbuster, I wasn't buying another barsaw machine unless it was 3/4 pitch.
 Here's the only thing on the entire machine that I hate, I'm more annoyed that I've got to take belting and carriage bolts and drill holes in a new elevator. This is going to happen 2-3x a day, sometimes you can back it out, the conveyor will run in reverse. Lots of fun climbing up the elevator 1/2 full of wood to knock the piece out. Gap is to wide on the end and a thin piece gets in and jams everything up, stalls elevator.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

We've got the smaller elevator and one of the cross links broke off from that type of thing happening.   Only 50 some hours on it.

Online Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 03:45:37 pm »
I've got close to 5,500 hours on my 14-12 Block Buster.  It's just a little guy but it's performed exceptionally well.  I'm talking with them about a 14-12 Plus right now :) :) :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Brandon1986

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2017, 04:42:22 pm »
Sounds nice.. I have a 48" circle cord king that I really like, it was a nice upgrade from a bar type much smaller blockbuster.. I have run both with and without a cab even down to -20* up here in AK.. Frankly I prefer to go without a cab.. we have a lot of twisted wood up here so I have to bounce out of the cab and readjust it fairly regularly.. it was nice with the block buster to just step away from the controls and fix the problem... Just one mans opinion..

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 09:43:19 pm »

So are you saying you like the sharpening tool or just swapping teeth out?
Just swap teeth. My time around a circle saw is limited, kind of new to me on a slasher, had 2 piece on our big mill. Yeah knock the rivet out, slide a tooth in and go. Supposedly I can get new teeth put on these shanks?

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 09:45:38 pm »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

We've got the smaller elevator and one of the cross links broke off from that type of thing happening.   Only 50 some hours on it.
Yeah I'm not impressed, did it 3 times the other day on 5 cord. I will say that elevator has guys, in 16-20" wood it's almost down to a crawl with how fast it spits wood out.

Offline labradorguy

• I stand for our Anthem
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 10:32:51 am »
It's ready to roll. :)

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 01:05:04 pm »
Like the pictures.  ;)  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline labradorguy

• I stand for our Anthem
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 07:12:22 pm »
Thanks. It looks pretty solid. Anxious to put it to work. :)