The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Do any of you offer Kiln Service  (Read 632 times)

Offline vfauto

• Full Member x2
  • TimberKing 2000
Do any of you offer Kiln Service
« on: September 27, 2017, 02:09:00 pm »
My Solar kiln is nearing completion and I am looking to recoup the investment that was way more than I anticipated.Do any of you dry other people's lumber or rent out your kiln? If so how do you charge and what is your involvement?
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Offline oakiemac

• Senior Member x2
  • God bless the U.S.A!
    • Hickoryandoak
Re: Do any of you offer Kiln Service
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:34:17 pm »
I custom kiln dry for other people. They bring the lumber here and I sticker it then let it air dry for about 3 months then put in kiln for roughly 2 weeks. Right now I charge $.35/bf but I'll be changing that to about .45 here soon.
I never dry anything green, too long in kiln and too much risk of screwing it up
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Offline BLink

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 03:49:37 pm »
I am considering building a kiln and have a lot of questions.

I hadn't thought of air drying it first. Maybe it is not too early to advertise since I can sticker it and get it air drying now.

Does anyone bring you lumber that is already stickered?
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

Offline Stuart Caruk

• Full Member x2
  • Woodmizer Stationary timber processing
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:02:52 am »
There's a place in Portland B&B lumber... that will dry your lumber in a steam kiln. They can do up to 60,000 BF at a shot, but..... you have to send it to them already stickered/ Turns out that they can't hire help to sticker the boards as it's too much work, and they can barely keep up with their own products.

I'd love to have a kiln service closer to me.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker, Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 10:36:11 pm »
We provide drying services to others. I would never “rent out” one of my kilns though.

Price depends on species, thickness and mc%. If we air dry first, that is still factored into the price since their lumber is taking up room in my drying barn.

Prices may be as low as .20 per bd ft for 3day finish off and sterilization run on reclaimed 4/4 (2k bd ft min), to $3.50 bd ft for 12/4 green oak slabs. We now charge $1.00 bd ft for green 4/4 and 5/4 oak with a 150 bd ft min.

Fast drying species such as pine and poplar are cheaper, but still over .50 bd ft. We encourage the customer to sticker but will do this task for an extra charge.

We are not going to try to compete on price with a large conventional kiln. We will make sure though that the Lumber is properly dried and sterilized.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.