The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: trees and bees, can it pay to plant cover crops in young forests?  (Read 839 times)

Offline eastcoastbeek

• I'm new!
Re: trees and bees, can it pay to plant cover crops in young forests?
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 09:35:04 am »
OK, so after some more research there are some other good cover crops that deer love as well as the bees. Most of the brassicas have a good bloom and are good deer forage.  In particular, some of the turnips also create deep air columns in the soil break up hardpan and increase water absorption.  I remember from researching earthworms that these air tunnels are surrounded with aerobic bacteria which are more beneficial to soil than anerobic bacteria. 

A lot of the clovers also fit the three big requirements.  They are good deer forage, they bloom at the right times for bees, and the seeds are inexpensive.  Alsike, dutch white, red and sweet clovers fit these requirements.  Sweet clovers are a bit tall for very young stands.

My understanding is that many timber parcels are owned by insurance companies.  So I will start contacting TIMOs and asking if they are willing to work with me if I can show that cover crops will increase their return on investment through nitrogen fixation and increased game forage and tilth.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, by no means is the subject closed. Please continue to offer more advice.

Offline eastcoastbeek

• I'm new!
Re: trees and bees, can it pay to plant cover crops in young forests?
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 09:05:22 pm »
Another thought.  Seeding cover crops between rows of pine will be rough work, with all the downed logs, branches and everything.  It would be easier to broadcast seed on the entire parcel just before the pine gets planted.  Then I could get around the brush easier.