The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Central boiler 1400 air channels  (Read 1869 times)

Offline overclocking

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: Central boiler 1400 air channels
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2017, 08:37:06 AM »
Well it's been a few more weeks and all is well. I'm pulling 24 hour burns since the channel install. The gasification channel still seems low, but it's idling at 190 almost all the time and when it needs heat it seems to stay right around the set point. I would say the channels are working pretty good so far. I removed them last weekend and they came right out and went back in just fine once I located the bolts under the build up. Overall I seem to have made a great improvement to the original design. 

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2017, 10:39:12 AM »
Been a few weeks for me now. Plates are great, no warping to date. My boiler (sound of me knocking on wood over here) seems to be working better than ever. My heat is good, I'm getting good burn and I seem to be using a lot less wood so far. Time will tell....

Offline overclocking

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2018, 07:42:41 PM »
Just another update. Turns out the angle iron I put on the plates as a means of stopping it from warping serves more than one purpose. It keeps the wood away from blocking the channels, makes the "sap" run away from the holes and acts like a rail for me to run the coal rake up and down to kick the coals away from the bottom channels.

I let the coal bed get way too high last week and all the bottom holes got filled with ash and coals. I was dreading pulling the plates off because it was so cold out. So I opened the back panel and removed the upper solenoid and clamped my leaf blower in it and revved it up. When I walked back around front after the dust settle I was completely astonished to see the channels were 100% cleaned out and back to full flow! Turned out to be a ten minute channel cleaning.

So at this point I am going to have to call this back yard fab job a huge success. Its been running the best it has ran since I installed it and the removable plate certainly are exceeding my expectations.

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2018, 08:15:45 AM »
Excellent! So you put your angles on the firebox side? I put mine inside the channel. I had one end pull away slightly, not warped but I must have hit my slide bolt at some point. Creosote is getting in there slightly but it hasn't caused an issue to this point. I haven't wanted to shut it down to put it back on correctly due to this cold weather. I'm very happy so far with my repair!

Offline Roger2561

• Love the outdoors
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »
overclocking, DeerMeadowFarm - Thanks for posting the updates following this cold snap we experienced.  I've been waiting to hear from you guys to see how they are doing for you.  This gives me ideas to try next summer when I fix mine.  Roger