The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Coon, possum, horse?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Josef

• Full Member x2
  • just horsin' around
    • Jokar's Hilltop Farm
Re: Coon, possum, horse?
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2017, 01:13:37 pm »
On my wife's first trip to France with me on a work trip she decided to visit a local street market and shop for dinner, her comment about the experience was that all the butchered rabbits were hung with their hind feet still attached, the vendor said it was a hold over from WWII when it was not uncommon to sell cats as rabbits, not possible if the feet are still there.

I've eaten most anything that is served around the world but some of the most memorable were probably sea urchins served fresh in the shell, picking them out of the shell with chopsticks was an experience, kind of like trying to pick up animated spaghetti. Drunken shrimp where they are served in a liquor bath, they drown in the alcohol and are cooked at table side. I remember at one dinner in Singapore when the young lady seated next to me asked if my rice had "eyes" too, on closer inspection it turns out the rice was peppered with newly hatched fish fry, eyes and all. And dog on a stick in Korea at 3 am from a street vendor (maybe alcohol was involved....). Horse is pretty good, a little known fact about Friesian horses is that the biggest market for them, until us crazy americans discovered them with the movie Ladyhawk, was as table fare.

Have had good bear and very bad bear. Ate way too much venison early on so now don't really care for it, would rather a good cut of beef. Wife loves lamb, have to leave the house when she cooks it but will eat it under duress. Seems most gator I've eaten was over cooked and tough. Draw the line at possum and coon, but most other wild game or seafood is open for tasting. Love raw oysters and clams, cooking them just ruins them. Mountain oysters on the other hand need to be cooked and are quite good. Have had rat, tasted just like squirrel, but tougher, not something I'll try again. Various snakes, the bigger the better as table fare. Being in an industry that kept me in foreign countries definitely expanded my palette. And owl does taste just like chicken. Got lots of kin in WV, dinners were always an adventure.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2017, 01:38:26 pm »
Other than I'd definitely pass on the rat, coons, opossum, I'd pretty much try anything else you mentioned if only once  :).  I go to mountain oyster feeds every once in awhile (yes we have those around here), even though I might be the one to "deliver" the meat for them, when cooked right they're good, snake is one I'd like to try, around here it'd be rattlesnake from West of us. I think it boils down to (no pun intended) what our ancestors had to do to survive, hard times call for hard measures, old saying.  I'd still would prefer a nice T-bone though  :D.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2017, 08:15:49 pm »
The rattlesnakes around here are musky smelling.  You can smell the musk when you bring the fork to your mouth.  I have ate my last one.  Life is short. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2017, 08:07:47 am »
 I lived in Beijing China back in the mid 80's.
We had a lot of "Mystery Meat" meals.

The 2 things I had that I don't care if I ever have again are
sea cucumber, which is some type of large worm that lives in the ocean
and tripe, didn't like the smell, didn't like the taste.

I was raised on venison and still love it. Venison has to be handled correctly from shot to table.

Love elk, moose, buffalo. Haven't had nearly enough of these.

We ate a racoon once. It wasn't bad but I don't need it.

We eat rattle snake at least once a year. Our rattlers in WV are quite tasty.

Wild turkey is another favorite of mine. I'll take it over store bought any day.
Again has to be handled properly from shot to table.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!