The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Still making benches  (Read 2237 times)

Offline grouch

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm recyclable!
Re: Still making benches
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2017, 07:41:19 am »
That tenon cutter looks like a candidate for the scary tools thread.

Your spade bit won't hang if you stop drilling when the point first comes through and then finish the hole from the other side.
Find something to do that interests you.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2017, 08:03:00 am »
Danny,

Yes it works well. Keep that in mind if you ever happen to make any with serious curve in the wood.

Dave,

Had him 20 years. He was my wife's 20 year anniversary present. He is great at teaching you patience.

Grouch,

It definitely could be a candidate. I keep thinking one of these days I will get a good deal on a big high torque drill press and mount it there. It will nearly break your wrist when it hangs in the wood although the worst danger is the spade bit hanging on those angled cuts in the slabs when they exit the backside.

After I sharpened the blades yesterday I tended to run it on a higher speed than manufacturer recommendations but was real careful to just feather it into the wood so it cut very small chips instead of big curlycues and less binding involved.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2017, 08:31:27 am »
Howard, I admire your benches, and hopefully you will soon have to make more.    8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2017, 09:40:46 am »
Great work and thanks for the step by step!

Could you lay the bench top on a backer board when using the spade bit to keep it from grabbing when it exits the bench?

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2017, 04:00:53 pm »
Sam,

I will try that on the next ones. I have to a degree but not enough. I did find I can sharpen the spade bit and it works better. I bought a 6" file a few minutes ago which should work for my drawknife and spade bits. That ash eats up the edge on the bit pretty fast.

MM,

Let's hope so. I finished 3 more and put all 7 on the mill this morning. Will make a couple more to take with me this weekend. Actually think I will use up one more 14' slab to make 2-5' and one more 4' ash benches. Will look through my cherry and walnut stacks for more there too. Need to cut one more ash log for leg blanks. Likely will cut a 6X6 for crib blocks out of the middle and get some 3" side lumber for legs. May be quarter round but that will be fine. Some customers prefer that over square stock.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2017, 07:15:03 pm »
I use linseed oil on the benches I make that are for exterior use .
You can add extra coats to get the finish you like
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2017, 08:37:14 pm »
Bruno,

The only time I used Linseed oil was on a couple of ash benches and they turned very yellow, almost orange. I am scared to try it on walnut or cherry because I know the Tung oil does a beautiful job bringing out the chocolate color in the walnut and the red in the cherry. The Tung oil also did a good job on the Chestnut oak benches too. Have you tried it on Walnut or cherry and know what it looks like with them?

I made another 4' walnut bench this afternoon from a slab I had in stock. I did most of the initial sanding and used part of the sawdust mixed with wood glue to fill a gap or two around the tenons. It should be ready to finish sanding in the morning. I'll complete sanding and start the first of many coats of tung oil.

I also sawed up about a 13"X8' ash log into 3X3's for more legs so i should have enough bench leg stock to make several dozen more benches. I'll try to make at least 3 more ash benches and maybe another walnut and/or cherry bench from materials I already have on hand. First i need to confirm I can get a spot a the flea market which starts tomorrow. i just want to take a load over and come back Saturday.
Howard Green

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2017, 08:38:59 pm »
Howard, don't stack/display all of your benches at the same time.  Keep a good portion away from sight and then if someone wants to choose, let them.  An abundance of benches indicates that there is no shortage and invites bargain hunters.    :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2017, 08:59:45 pm »
Lynn,

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem here is I am mostly going to be selling off my truck/trailer and need to take enough stock so I don't run out. Right now I have a couple of 4' cherry and may take my project bench with the ant nest I have not had time to fill with epoxy yet. I have several 4' and up to 6' walnut benches and several of each size from 3,4 & 6 foot and may may 2 - 5' unfinished ash benches and one finished 4' ash bench tomorrow. I also have the 3 piece oak set.

I'll leave most on the trailer and set out a decent selection but I can't totally hide the others. I figure I'll also take several rough cherry and pine fireplace mantels. Most of the time these flea market trips are more advertising for swing than selling lumber or benches and such. This one is mostly out of my normal sawing territory and I'd prefer not to commute that far for mobile sawing jobs - although I will if they want to pay the mileage. We will see.
Howard Green