The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Mushrooms!  (Read 390 times)

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

Mushrooms!
« on: August 19, 2017, 09:04:11 am »
 I was visiting some relatives down the road from us and we got on the topic of mushrooms since we have been getting some rain and mild weather and they mentioned a mushroom they seen while checking fences. We went back there and checked it out and I first thought it was a young "hen of the woods" (maitake) but being a much lighter color we figured out it probably was what I believe to be a "Cauliflower mushroom". It was growing at the base of an oak tree.

We also found a few Chanterelles and a patch of small Oyster mushrooms on a dead stump. I'm going to check on the Oysters in a day or two and see if they mature. We went ahead and sampled the Cauliflower mushroom, it was worth picking. Tasted good sauted in butter along with the Chanterelles.

I'll post up more pics of mushrooms I find. If anyone else hunts and eats wild mushrooms, feel free to post up what you find.

And anyone else reading this, make sure you 100% positively ID an edible mushroom with a reputable source before consuming. There are poisonous look-alikes of many edible mushrooms. I only eat the ones that I know for sure won't make me sick  ;)

-Sawmill- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
-Saws- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque, 455 Rancher X-Torque, Stihl 024AV
-Wood haulers- Kioti DK45 w/FEL, '92 Dodge Cummins with bale/dump bed, '07 Honda Rancher 420

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

Re: Mushrooms!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 11:48:24 am »
 I found a nice patch of oyster mushrooms today but they were a little too far gone. I did find a few in condition later.

-Sawmill- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
-Wood haulers- Kioti DK45 w/FEL, '92 Dodge Cummins with bale/dump bed, '07 Honda Rancher 420

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 01:43:34 pm »
 Here's what I believe to be a "Bearded Tooth" mushroom (or a close relative in the Hericium family) I found starting in a pile of old firewood today. Im going to be keeping an eye on it, it will make a good meal once it matures  :). I like these  sliced and sauted in butter. They're good eaten sauted by themselves or added to spaghetti. They like to be cooked slow over low heat or they tend get a little tough.

Offline DPatton

• Full Member x2
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 03:31:49 pm »
A couple morel pics from this past spring.

Where I'm from are highly sought after for a few weeks every spring.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 05:44:07 pm »
 Nice morel pics. We like the morels here too, something we always look forward to every spring  ;D

Offline DPatton

• Full Member x2
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 10:22:02 pm »
Unfortunately i have only ever experienced the morels for picking and consuming of wild mushrooms. I know that I have several more varieties that are edible in my area but have never learned to safely and positively identify other varieties. Maybe its time I do some studying  :P so I can safely try a late summer / fall variety this season.