The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Sleep apnea  (Read 1573 times)

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
Re: Sleep apnea
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 08:38:19 am »
About 7 yrs with mine now.
Dont especially like it but better than dying in my sleep and keeping my wife awake with snoring..
My mask , nose and mouth, has a propensity to leak and wake me up sometimes.
I have facial hair but the leak occurs where no hair exists.
I am going to look into a portable unit for my use at my off grid camp.
Tried 2 deep cycle batteries and  converter, but they didnt last.
Oral appliance from my dentist runs from 700 to 1500 and not covered by ins.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 10:30:36 am »
Any tips on cleaning the tubes and mask?
I soak in dish detergent, rinse them let drip dry.
Saw a ad on TV yesterday for some kind of machine that is supposed to clean them.

I bought a used spare off craigs list for Tenn so I don't have to keep dragging one back and forth. Mine was set at 7 by the dr. but the used one was at 6. Quick internet search and I was able to bump the new/used one up to 7.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Online LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 10:55:55 am »
Vinegar was the recommended cleaner in the paperwork that came with mine. Just be sure to let it dry completely. it will take your breath away if you don't.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 12:30:02 pm »
Hoses too?
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Online LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 02:37:28 pm »
Yep, hose and mask. Vinegar is an antiseptic. Check on line for better deals on supplies. There is a place out of Houston that is fairly reasonable. I found I could never get more than about 3 months out of a mask seal. Strated leaking too much after that. The recommendation is to change them once a month.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline florida

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 05:05:20 pm »
Raider Bill

I rinse my hose and mask out every morning with hot water. Once a week or so I wash the mask real well with antiseptic hand soap.  My first mask lasted a year but my pulmonologists hair stood on end when I told him that. He told me the reason they send you all those supplies is so you use clean ones! I use a new mask about every 60 days and a new hose every 5 or 6 months.
General contractor and carpenter for 40 years.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 03:54:51 pm »
the tech that set mine up said that remember the reservoir is like a big petri dish and needs to be cleaned weekly..
 I clean mine once a week with dawn and very hot water as well as the tube and mask..
Let the tube drip dry.
I get a new set of mask and tube every 6 months and a new harness if needed. (insurance pays)
I saw that ad too Bill and have wondered about it.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Still got all muh fingers
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 06:39:33 pm »
I have a cpap machine. We call it the "Snork". I went with the nostril thing as opposed to the mask. Harder to get used to but less bacteria according to snork doctor. I use only distilled water in mine. Makes for less slime...
Its not the "years in your life" but the 'life in your years" that matters...Abe Lincoln

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 09:34:37 pm »
I've been using a CPAP for around 10 years, mostly for my wife's sake because I snore LOUD!! I don't feel a whole lot different whether I wear it or not, I don't think. I rarely get enough sleep so i'm always tired, anyways ::) I'm also around 275 pounds, should probably be at 230 or so (I'm 6'5"), it's kind of tough when I sit in a cab all day. But, I'm getting to the age (42) where I need to start taking my health more seriously. My Dad had his first heart attack when he was 47, his side is Native American and they have a lot of heart issues. They went from eating wild rice and venison (or starving) for thousands of years, the modern diet is pretty tough on them with cholesterol and lots of diabetes. My doctor wants to get me on cholesterol meds, I've been hesitant but it may be time. I can be very stubborn, I don't want my family to have to bury me before my time because of it.

If you can control your numbers with diet and exercise, you will be much better off. Medications are a double edged sword. They can keep you from dying suddenly, but they can also keep you just alive enough to keep paying for the meds. That's not much of a life.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 10:34:15 pm »
I have a cpap machine. We call it the "Snork". I went with the nostril thing as opposed to the mask. Harder to get used to but less bacteria according to snork doctor. I use only distilled water in mine. Makes for less slime...

I didn't want to mess with a humidifier on my unit.  For the first week or two, I would blow my nose in the morning and produce a little blood.  Then all was good.  Only other time was when I went on a visit to AZ - the drier air there caused me to get a couple morning bloody noses.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.