The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Bourbon barrel aged maple syrup  (Read 2791 times)

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
Bourbon barrel aged maple syrup
« on: July 27, 2017, 10:14:19 am »
After selling my pure New York State maple syrup via the Forestry Forum for a few years, I've branched out to a new product. My first batch of bourbon barrel aged maple syrup will be ready soon. It is made by using a recently emptied bourbon barrel and packing hot maple syrup in it. Then after a few months the syrup draws some bourbon flavor from the charred oak in the barrel, while picking up only a trace of alcohol but always under 2%.
The first batch will be ready in early to mid August and will be ready for shipping soon after. The price is going to be $12.00 for a 200ml bottle (6.76 fl. oz.), plus shipping. As always, the FF will receive 5% of all sales from this listing, when ordering be sure to mention the Forestry Forum. I only ship within the lower 48 states at this time. See my web site: www.daveandjoanssugarhouse.com to place an order, or send me a P.M. thru the FF.
Supples will be limited, when all 3 current batches are ready, I'll only have about 400 bottles to sell.
I also still sell my pure NYS maple syrup too, prices are on the website.
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
Re: Bourbon barrel aged maple syrup
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 09:02:03 am »
I have now bottled my 1st batch of bourbon barrel aged maple syrup and I must say WOW. When I decided to try aging maple syrup in recently emptied oak barrels I had never even tasted any, but I had read plenty plus a friend had done it for 3 seasons with great results.
I've had great comments from everyone who has tried it too.
The taste seems to be a perfect blend between maple and bourbon with as the label states "less than 2% alcohol". I can see the 3 batches I made will not be my last.
Now available, Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup in 6.76 Fl. Oz. (200ml) glass bottles at $12.00 each. Sorry no discounts for multiple purchases and I fully expect to sell out. In fact I have very little left just from local sales of my first batch, and the second batch is being bottled early next week. My last batch for this year won't be ready until late Oct or November.
To order, email:   dklish@earthlink.net or go to    www.daveandjoanssugarhouse.com   Fill out the contact form on the last page and I'll reply from there.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:37:14 am »
beenthere, your shipment goes out today. Thanks for your order.
Dave

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:18:01 am »
beenthere, it looks like your order should arrive today, USPS. When you use it, you need to realize you only need to use a little to get the full flavor, about half of what you would usually use if you put pure maple syrup on anything. The Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup has the perfect marriage of great maple taste and bourbon taste, all with little or no alcohol content.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 06:57:30 pm »
that stuff is great my wifes uncle made it so I had to buy a bottle of it  digin_2 food6

Offline PA_Walnut

• Full Member x2
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 07:32:09 am »
Maple, what a brilliant idea. I'll be ordering some. (big fan of single-barrel bourbon...haven't found a problem yet that it won't solve...)  ;D

Last Fall I was running my vertical smoker at 7AM and decided a shot of bourbon in my eggnog was a neat idea while I made bacon and eggs over my open fire. (no I normally never drink the AM). Seemed really nice.

Kids got up and started fighting with each other, poured another. Wife got up and started fussing about things. Went straight to a double on the rocks. Tuned-up by 10:00 was pretty fun!

Point of all this being: having your maple syrup on my hotcakes will be a FINE addition to this them. Put my down for a gallon please.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 07:49:58 am »
GREAT JUMPING DOGGIES!   running-doggy  Lay back two for me and I'll get to the order form tomorrow.  @Weekend_Sawyer will verify my love of all things bourbon.

By the way, welcome to the forum PA_Walnut!  We live within five miles of the Lancaster County border.   :)
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline PA_Walnut

• Full Member x2
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 08:01:45 am »
Yes, all things bourbon is a good thing...

Fixes: business whoas and worries, misbehaved children and pets, unruly neighbors, neglectful spouses, machinery troubles, bad weather, insomnia, and all things in-laws.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 08:08:55 am »
Maple, what a brilliant idea. I'll be ordering some. (big fan of single-barrel bourbon...haven't found a problem yet that it won't solve...)  ;D

Last Fall I was running my vertical smoker at 7AM and decided a shot of bourbon in my eggnog was a neat idea while I made bacon and eggs over my open fire. (no I normally never drink the AM). Seemed really nice.

Kids got up and started fighting with each other, poured another. Wife got up and started fussing about things. Went straight to a double on the rocks. Tuned-up by 10:00 was pretty fun!"

Hold on a minute, I'd be more than glad to ship a gallon to you but let's do the math first. Without counting shipping yet do you realize what bourbon barrel aged maple syrup is going to cost? At the present time, I only pack it in 200 ml bottles and I'm not likely to add sizes this year, might in 2-3 years if demand is there. 200ml sells for $12 a bottle. That's 6.76 Fl Oz. 128 oz to a gal/6.76= 18.9349... bottles, shall we round up to 20. 20x$12= $240 + shipping. I can do it but that's a lot for a gallon of maple syrup. (precisely why I made it in the first place, but most sales have been 1-4 bottles up til now, and so far only 1 sale (2 bottles) has been shipped (to a FF member), the rest are all local sales either from my house, sugar house or the one location I have it other than those, a local vendor called "The Eclectic Chic". If you indeed really want that much, PM me and I'll get started figuring how I can pack and ship that much so it won't be likely to get broken in transit.

Offline PA_Walnut

• Full Member x2
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 08:16:13 am »
OK. Didn't realize. I'll get some of your standard smaller bottles to try. I have a couple of smaller bourbon barrels that I've used to make my own bourbon. (have some working right now).

Maybe I'll get some syrup and experiment with making my own.  ;D
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 11:42:55 am »
What size barrels do you use? Are they Oak, charred inside? If yes, you can make your own. You need to take a recently emptied barrel, drain it completely, then fill it with maple syrup. The syrup must be at 190-195 F. The barrel must also be filled, not partially. Then store the barrel in a cool place but not necessarily refrigerated (mine are stored at about 65-70 in the sugarhouse. I spray mine with clean water twice a day as I rotate the barrel. I made a frame sort of like a moving dolly with the casters up to support the barrel. After a week rotating the barrel, I connected a drip irrigation mist system on a timer which sprays a mist over the barrels 2x daily by a times valve. Once that started the barrels were then turned 2x a week. On a 5 gal bbl it takes 3-4 months, a 10 gal takes 6-7 months and a 15 gal barrel takes 10-11 months. If your barrel is bigger it takes longer, because you have more syrup as compared to the amount of wood surface, but I don't have those numbers. Good luck.
Most any grade maple syrup can be used, but with the lighter grades you will not get any or at least not much maple flavor coming thru. Others have found that the darkest grades do the best.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 07:59:33 pm »
OK. Didn't realize. I'll get some of your standard smaller bottles to try. I have a couple of smaller bourbon barrels that I've used to make my own bourbon. (have some working right now).

Maybe I'll get some syrup and experiment with making my own.  ;D
  Whereabouts in Lancaster Co are you? I may need to come over and "inspect your bourbon" just to make sure its safe.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline PA_Walnut

• Full Member x2
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 06:44:01 am »
LOL! My bourbon gets inspected regularly (sometimes daily!)  :D
I'm in the southwest part of the county--opposite of you. If you make a jaunt over this way look me up.

Haven't honed my skills to distilling...yet. I purchase corn whiskey and take the "white dog" and age in my own oak barrels.
I'm sawing some white oak and adding making my own barrel to my goals list. Apparently white oak demand is very high right now due to the increase favor in bourbon.

Had made a business plan to make barrels of bourbon to stash for 10-15 years as my retirement plan. The Man made it less than desirable as those gangsters have too many rules, taxes, and licenses needed. Last thing I need is them up in my grill any more.  go_away
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 08:39:59 am »
As you refer to "those gangsters", as long as I sell over 50% of my syrup retail I have few regulations, other than what my state Ag. and Markets has had for years (things like clean equipment, potable wash water, SS equipment and such), just the income taxes. If less than 50% was retail sales I'd be subject to a whole bunch of extra regs ( laws passed because of terrorism issues).
Those laws are based on the number of employees and the % of retail vs. wholesale plus bulk sales. My employees is zero (1 part time partner) and my retail far exceeds my non retail sales.
Even the bourbon barrel aged maple syrup is not taxed special because it always has less than 2% alcohol.

Offline PA_Walnut

• Full Member x2
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 09:20:32 am »
Yes, the iron triangle hasn't figured out the taxation on your market...yet. They'll get there. Give'em time.

Here in PA, the state run liquor control board propagates that "it's good for the consumer, since it keeps prices down."
How a poorly managed monopoly, staffed with overpaid union employees without commitment who get a large pension regardless of performance, exceeds the proven capitalism model run by private enterprise is "good for the customer" is beyond me.

It's the typical political model of talking like a preacher, and acting like a ganster: "It's all for the children or roads and bridges."
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 02:31:44 pm »
I hear you.

Offline ppine

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 11:20:02 am »
Great idea.  Maple syrup is one of God's gifts to mankind.
Any forester worth his salt has been using the stuff all his life.
Forester

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 09:04:23 pm »
and bourbon is even older than maple syrup, the new idea is to age pure maple syrup in recently emptied bourbon barrels for the perfect marriage of the two flavors.

Offline PA_Walnut

• Full Member x2
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 07:00:22 am »
Bourbon is the miracle elixir! Fixes most any whoa!
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 07:32:00 am »
Another shipment going out today, 4 bottles to one FF member, but he's sharing with 3 others. Enjoy!
I still have a good supply, but will likely run out in 3-4 months, then it will be summer of 2018 before I have more. Plan ahead!