The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Killing trees with herbicides?  (Read 1701 times)

Online TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
Re: Killing trees with herbicides?
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 08:32:56 am »
If cut they could likely grow back from the stump unless there is something there to routinely defoliate the sprouts (sheep/goats). 

Girdling is a chemical free option for many species.  More time consuming though.

I haven't figured out why he wants to kill Black Walnut.   ???  Many people put effort (big and small) in to get BW to grow well. 
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline TreeStandHunter

• ISA Arborist from Michigan
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 12:33:02 pm »
Girdle the tree on an angle and put concentrated glyphosate into the cut and it will kill anything. Girdle it on an angle so that way when you pour in the glyphosate it will sit in the cut and not run down the trunk.
Currently only have a Panther Mill 2, hoping to upgrade to a WM soon!

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 01:20:54 pm »
I can get tordon for 20.00 and change for a quart.  About how many beech trees that are 6 inches or so in diameter willa quart kill.  I downloaded the spec. Sheet but dont see the recipe for hack and squirt like i see people talking about.  Just a ball park figure if you please.   Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 01:46:50 pm »
I'm not trying to be sarcastic or argumentative, but just curious as why not just cut them down?

Because they will resprout - some species will do so repeatedly.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline timberking

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 03:26:54 pm »
Ranger, I thought the hypo-hatchet was rough till I saw a Jim-Gem.  Killed many an acre of good hardwood in S. Ark.  I remember many species had to have connecting cuts to assure mortality.   I am using a 30 year old gallon of Tordon that still does the trick.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 03:30:29 pm »
If you hack and squirt, and if you confine the chemical to the hack (frill), and not slop the chemical on the ground, the chemical will only affect the plant that was hacked and squirted.  There is a possibility that the target plant has root grafted with a plant that you want to keep, and the graft will let the chemical into the plant that you want to save and kill it too, but I have found that that (Tom) is a very infrequent occurrence.  So infrequent that I would not worry about it.  Essentially confine the chemical to the target plant and you will be fine.  If you cut the target plants down, you can spray the outer rim of the cut stump with the chemical, being careful to keep the chemical on the circumference of the cut stump and not slop it all over the ground around it, and you will be OK.  This applies to soil active herbicides like Tordon. 

Herbicides like round-up and garlon are not soil active, so you do not have to be quite as careful.  The good thing about tordon is the it is very highly effective, and with bit of care in application, it will do a great job.  Just confine the chemical to the target hack or the outer edges of a cut stump and you will be OK.  You only need to spray the outer rim of a cut stump because that is where the cambium is, and that is what you want to target, not the wood in the middle of the stump because it will not take up the chemical anyway.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Splaker

• I'm new!
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 06:35:36 pm »
I'm not trying to be sarcastic or argumentative, but just curious as why not just cut them down?

You guys have lilacs or box alders in the US? If you do cut one down and see what you have 3 months later...

I got lilacs coming up through my interlock pavers around my pool driveway, everywhere.. box alders growing along my neighbours fenceline.. don't know what side they are on now.. I am tryign to save thousands of dollars in repairs...

Offline Claybraker

• Mostly New!
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 07:15:23 pm »
I can get tordon for 20.00 and change for a quart.  About how many beech trees that are 6 inches or so in diameter willa quart kill.  I downloaded the spec. Sheet but dont see the recipe for hack and squirt like i see people talking about.  Just a ball park figure if you please.   Banjo
I use a cordless drill, and try for 1 ml for every 2" dbh. probably close to 300 6" trees it helps to transfer it to a quart spray bottle.  The goofy applicator might be ok for treating cut stumps but I don't like it.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 09:27:39 pm »
Claybraker ,Thanks for the reply.   I think you are saying a 6 inch tree would need 3 ml.  Are you putting that 3 ml. in one hole or 3 different holes around the tree.  Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline Claybraker

• Mostly New!
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 10:03:32 pm »
6" tree I make 2 or 3 holes. Sorta depends on my mood. I've got some syringes I use to measure epoxy to get a good idea of just how much is a ml.

Offline Splaker

• I'm new!
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 08:11:40 am »
6" tree I make 2 or 3 holes. Sorta depends on my mood. I've got some syringes I use to measure epoxy to get a good idea of just how much is a ml.

How deep are you drilling into the tree, Claybraker?  Just past the bark and deep enough to hit the cambrian?  Also, why not "hack n squirt"?   

Would still like to hear from folks about my question on the effects of Tordon on the surroung plants and soil and whether plantings can be made after killing a tree in the vicinity of the treated tree.

Thanks

Offline Claybraker

• Mostly New!
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 10:03:30 am »
As shallow as I can to get a pocket that will hold 1 ml.  The problem I had with hack n squirt was getting a full ml where it needs to be without having most of it dribble down the bark.  Never really noticed it kills surrounding vegetation.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Staples Forestry
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 03:13:16 pm »
I ran a herbicide crew for a number of years and never saw any additional plants effected.  If they root graft, all bets off.  We used hypo hatches so the cuts and fluid amounts were uniform.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Splaker

• I'm new!
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 10:08:09 pm »
Hey guys, what temps should this be stored at or does it matter?  i got it in a shed or can put in the garage but both locations get cold... garage can go below freezing in dead of winter and the shed several degrees below...

Offline Claybraker

• Mostly New!
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 11:41:47 am »
Tordon RTU is about 73%  ethylene glycol. That's the "other ingredient" on the label.

Offline Splaker

• I'm new!
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 11:53:54 am »
Tordon RTU is about 73%  ethylene glycol. That's the "other ingredient" on the label.

Pardon my ignorance - does this make it ok to store in cold temps and in places where temps are highly variable ?

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 12:05:48 pm »
good til 10 below probably.