The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: LT40 Mods...Phase I complete (pics)  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
Re: LT40 Mods...Phase I complete (pics)
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2017, 05:58:23 pm »
You do some first-class fab word D6c.  What are you using to cut out the parts?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline Crossroads

• I'm new!
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2017, 11:16:06 pm »
Looking good!

Offline D6c

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2017, 08:57:48 am »
You do some first-class fab word D6c.  What are you using to cut out the parts?

I have a some equipment in the corner of my shop...lathe, bridgeport, drill press, vertical saw, & surface grinder.  It's been king of nice to do a little machine work on this project.  I don't get a chance to keep my skills up like I used to and it's amazing how rusty you get after a while.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 06:51:02 am »
Heads up thinking there on the roller placement.I've been sawing a lot of 8' logs and the front toe roller doesn't catch the log.
D6c has that covered by mounting both of his toe boards on the inside.  The rest of us have to remember to always load short (8') logs "butt to the front".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline D6c

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 05:13:49 pm »
I'm down to figuring out how I want to modify the side supports....lengthening the arms and adding rollers.
With raising the bed 2" the supports are a little short at about 7 1/4" above the rails.

How tall is WM building them these days?  Any thoughts on how tall I should make them?
I made a couple of slip-in extensions a while back that added 6" so if I use them they'd be around 12 1/4"

Since the supports are square tubing, I was thinking of adding a single roller on the top instead of the 2-roller arrangement I seen WM using.  Any reason why one roller won't work?

Here's what I had in mind.....

I've got all the linkage for the side supports and toe boards put together.

In case it looks like everything has gone exactly to plan...it didn't.  I made a error in measuring the center to center length of the side support cylinder.  Had it about an inch shorter than it actually is, which made the mounting bracket too long.
Not a disaster.....just had to cut an inch or so out of the middle of the bracket and weld it back together.

Squirt a little paint on it and it'll never show.....

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2017, 06:57:41 pm »
They are 11" above the bed to the tip.  Longer would be better but I'm sure you're aware that the ones on your mill aren't built as stout as newer mills, so that should be a consideration when going long.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline D6c

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2017, 07:54:40 pm »
They are 11" above the bed to the tip.  Longer would be better but I'm sure you're aware that the ones on your mill aren't built as stout as newer mills, so that should be a consideration when going long.

Thanks....I'll probably stick to about that height.  The adjustment brackets aren't real strong and I may end up having to build heavier ones if I can't keep it in adjustment.
Spent half the afternoon adjusting the side supports.  Kind of a tedious job getting them all straight & square.  Had to weld up the end of one of the pipes to get it to line up with the others.  It had been cut a little short on the end that mounts to the main frame tube.

The pipes that the side supports pivot on look to be just sch. 40 pipe and aren't very round.  It always caused a problem with getting the tension set right.  Too loose in one spot & too tight in another.
I put the supports in the mill and "bored" the outside of the pipe to make them truly round on the end.  MUCH better now....nice even tension all the way up & down.   :)

Online Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2017, 08:33:33 pm »
On my mill, with the sawhead height scale set on 11" the blade will "just" clear the uprights
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL