TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

National Salvage & Service Corporation

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 260826 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #260 on: February 04, 2007, 10:11:05 am »
You know, that looks a lot like the Northern Parula, but neither bird inhabits this far north in the winter. The parula winters in the tropics, and the blue bird winters in the southern US and Mexico. I do know that a few people confuse the two birds. The parula has some white markings around it's eye and darker wings, with yellow-green saddle. And it's plumage is more of a blue-gray, compared to indigo-blue of the blue bird. Parula nests almost exclusively in old growth softwood stands with Spanish moss (south) or old man's beard lichen (north)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #261 on: March 01, 2007, 05:20:06 pm »
I'll try not to do this every year, but a while ago I thought there was some thunder, then upon checking the thumping, found ol Tom waltzing with he's reflection in the window. Took several flash pics, and this is but one.  Notice how the red shirt has shrunk up around the upper neck.............. ;D

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: March 01, 2007, 06:24:51 pm »
Is that Baker Blue face? :D
Lane Circle Mill

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #263 on: March 02, 2007, 10:18:25 am »
Invite him in for Thanksgiving dinner. ;D

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2007, 11:27:21 am »
Yessiree!  Tha's Ol' Tom Turkey.

Tha's what happens when you're born on the 25th of November.   The sun and moon get just right and your reflection changes.  It must be the Lunar eclipse causing it this time.  :D

extinct

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2007, 11:42:26 am »
Reminds me of the episode of Cheers where the bar regulars and Sam were going off to be men at a remote mountain cabin. They got there and realized there are no modern conveniences including refrigeration, so the food was going to spoil. They had no phone to call the camp owner to come get them and they were on there own. A turkey walked by the cabin as one of them are outside gathering wood. Well, you can pretty much guess what happened to Tom. ;D

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #266 on: March 04, 2007, 11:51:50 am »
This old curmudgeon would be a handful.  ....and probably tought too.  :D
extinct

Offline Jeff

• Lead Administrator and Founder
  • Administrator
  • I'm making a list
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2007, 11:13:19 pm »
Today we had a real experience in Tom's swamp. We had an owl let us get up close and personal. I started taking pictures from afar, and before it was over, Mr. Owl was letting me stand right under him with my camera on a stick! I was able to take all kinds of photos and a few shaky videos. I almost hit him with my stick once in accident and he flew to the next tree but even a lower branch. He spent the whole afternoon allowing jtmccallum and I to observe him.  I got him with some super resolution so have some real good photos to print if I wish. When many of the photos were taken the camera was with 6 or 8 feet. Tom sat across the pond with his field glasses observing us observing the owl.  The owl would blink and twist his head, and even fall asleep after a bit. He was a bit shy to begin with but seemed to have zero fear of us after a short time. (the owl, not Tom)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2007, 11:29:44 pm »
I do belive it's a Barred Owl.
How'd it taste ???

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • I'm making a list
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #269 on: March 11, 2007, 11:31:43 pm »
It is, and I imagine they taste a lot like spotted owl.  :)

Offline Onthesauk

• Still learning!
« Reply #270 on: March 11, 2007, 11:33:10 pm »
My nephew has worked all over the world on bird projects.  Many time netting and banding or just base counts on projects.  He tells about being able to walk right up to owls and pick them up, many have virtually no fear of humans.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Donít attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #271 on: March 12, 2007, 07:05:12 am »
There's an old owl around here to. But, he's too shy to get any more than a 1/4 mile to him. I here him in the mornings once in awhile, but he's 1/2 mile or more away when I here him in the woods. I have not idea what species he is and would likely have to look it up unless it was a horned owl or a snowy.

Dirty Harry

Offline Bro. Noble

• In Memoriam
« Reply #272 on: March 12, 2007, 09:52:33 am »
SD,  I can identify two kinds of owls a half mile away ;D  If it's a barred owl, it will always hoot five times and then wait a little while before hooting again.  The other one I can identify is a screech owl :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • I'm making a list
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #273 on: March 12, 2007, 09:57:02 am »

Offline pappy

• Grandfatherhood is good !!
    • Harttwood Rosettes and Plinths
« Reply #274 on: March 14, 2007, 09:45:39 am »
I had to take the wood ashes bucket out to be dumped behind the house... I see some feathers barely showing through the snow.. Whats this a Partridge ?, stick my foot under and flip what ever it was to the surface and loe and be hoe up pops this Great Horned Owl on it's back froze as froze can be...

I'm guessing that it dived into the snow to strike a ruffed grouse or other critter and broke its neck...

I've looked into trying to keep it and have it mounted but that ain't gonna happen!!!  I first spoke with the local Game Warden and he says they send them to a depository for testing to try and find out the cause of death... I suppose with bird flu and all we must be carfull...  Then a friend of mine knows the Fish and Game commissioner and other higher ups. He spoke with the second in charge anyway and told him it's a federal offense to have one in your possession!!!  We were also told the only places that can have them is Fish and Wildlife facilities and schools...

The local Game Warden hasn't picked it up yet (been about 6 weeks now) and I'm trying to find people at either the High School or the college in town that might want it...  I was told it would run around $500 bucks to have it mounted!!!
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #275 on: March 14, 2007, 09:52:53 am »
Too bad about the bird and even more sad that they won't let you mount it for keeps. They couldn't be too concerned if they never showed since 6 weeks ago, reporting it dead.  ::)

Dirty Harry

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #276 on: March 14, 2007, 01:05:33 pm »
We did some studying when we were being entertained by the one here and found that we couldn't even be in possession of a feather of an owl or an eagle without running afoul of the law.
extinct

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: March 18, 2007, 09:32:04 am »
This Red-Bellied Woodpecker was making a racket on the gutter downspout this morning. Went to snag a picture. He left for a moment and came back to the peak.

Lane Circle Mill

Offline Onthesauk

• Still learning!
« Reply #278 on: March 23, 2007, 04:19:27 pm »
We've got a pair of woodpeckers or sap suckers that play on our rooster weather vane on top of the garage each spring.  Always scares me half to death the first couple of times they start banging on it, makes a real racket.

Noticed today that we have a dead tree visable from the kitchen window, broken off about 20 feet from the ground.  Two fresh nesting holes within about 4 feet of the top so we may get to see them nest this year.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Donít attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: March 24, 2007, 09:32:09 am »
We had a couple Hawks here this morning making alot of racket. One of them was in a tree eating another bird. I figured out how to program the Zoom after taking these pics. The quality isn't great cause I enlarged with Xat, then cropped and resized. I could see this guy great with binoculars and not at all with the Digital Camera because the zoom hadn't been programmed yet.

Here is a pic of a smaller hawk by the pond.

Next pics should get better. ;)
Lane Circle Mill