The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 272073 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #840 on: May 26, 2011, 04:00:56 am »
You know a man should always carry a camera in car. I was eating lunch today in the car on a narrow plantation road and watching the spruce grouse come out on the edge of the trees by the road and pick around looking for bugs I assume, no berries yet. The softwood forests up here are full of those things. This looked to be a male with the red eye brows. I also thought I heard some vocals as well when I was crawling through the bushes. However, no camera for the grouse.  I doubt you could get a good photo of him in the shadows because they blend in so well. ;)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #841 on: May 26, 2011, 01:22:00 pm »
Today I was running a safety trail down through an old plantation to the block I was marking yesterday and low and behold I walk upon a spruce hen and 6 brown eggs in the nest. I practically stepped on her and she just walked about 5 feet away and sat still. I moved onward without disturbing her further. This was about 400 meters away from the male spruce grouse yesterday. They seem to like the older plantations and older softwood thinnings. The nest was under a 5 foot black spruce in a little opening where there was a spring.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #842 on: May 26, 2011, 03:08:00 pm »
I did the same thing with a hen pheasant yesterday while I was fixing fence, didn't see the nest but she wouldn't go far so there had to be one right there.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #843 on: May 26, 2011, 06:36:15 pm »
:D :D :D If you want to see humming birds in your face, just wear a red hard hat and a florescent yellow rain suit. I had to wave my arms at 3 of them buzzards the last couple of days. :D :D Plus I wear a set of screened goggles and half expect a beak with probing tong to enter. :D

Dirty Harry

Offline miking

• Full Member x2
« Reply #844 on: May 27, 2011, 06:13:04 pm »
Saw my first summer tanager of the year today and had numerous looks at yellowbreasted chat, common yellowthroat, indigo buntings, and brief looks at a solitary vireo and a magnolia warbler.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
« Reply #845 on: May 27, 2011, 09:42:38 pm »
We've had an odd sequence of birds arriving this year, probably because of the late wet spring.  Gold finches already but no tanagers yet.  Varied thrushes much later then normal here.

But have a couple of baby robins just out our porch getting fed today for the first time.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Donít attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline chain

« Reply #846 on: May 28, 2011, 09:37:29 am »
Could the END be near? So far, twice this spring, a turkey vulture comes to sit around our farmstead! A month ago a vulture lit in one of our dead catalpa trees.....the trees have grown here for at least eighty years, suppose the drouth killed them last summer and vultures were never seen in this part of  Missouri until the last two years. :o

But this morning, a vulture was perched upon top of our big barn. Some of the tin hs been torn off from the winds this spring and thought maybe the old buzzard was looking for a nesting or roosting site. Positive thinking..at its best!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #847 on: May 28, 2011, 09:51:00 am »
Turkey vultures aren't native up here neither but I've already seen 2 this spring. They are new arrivals to this region and were not seen 6 years ago. I don't know how they compete with the crows and ravens. They are our native scavengers, as well as the eagles.

I'm surprised I have not seen Phoebes yet. I do see a few barn swallows more often so they once again growing in population. There used to be hundreds and the hydro wires would be lined with them on migrations coming and going.

There are so many different warblers in the woods I can't even begin to identify them. Most you can't even see, just here. Like being in a bird zoo. I saw quite bunch of northern parulas in the maples and birches in the yard last week. They seemed to be around the flowers, I suspect where the bugs were after nectar. Noisy little birds.

Dirty Harry

Offline chain

« Reply #848 on: May 28, 2011, 10:16:12 am »
No doubt the Mississippi river flooding has altered some migration patterns of birds. I've stood in years past in the timbered river bottoms and witnessed hundreds if not thousands of migrating warblers of mixed species, along with several others only stopping briefly to rest to grab a insect, and move on. But this year many warblers have yet to appear and suspect they altered their routes somewhat as some flood waters were at least sixteen feet over the bottoms, covering many small trees and shrubs. This flood devastating to turkeys and deer.

Offline miking

• Full Member x2
« Reply #849 on: May 28, 2011, 06:15:35 pm »
Can be several reasons for low warbler numbers, not the least of which is habitat loss for both breeding and overwintering birds.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #850 on: June 02, 2011, 02:53:07 pm »
Nesting update...

3 of the 6 chicks from the shop crane nest made it and went out on their own.

Here are the chicks from the cedar shack...

I think I see 5 little beaks in there? :D  They are quiet as a mouse and didn't make a move when I snapped the pic.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #851 on: June 02, 2011, 04:31:14 pm »
That dish is pretty full. :D

Today off to work I came across two male grouse in the road. They are not all the shy in the deep woods and I had to toot to get them to run off into the bush. Saw another moose today to.  There is a wet area along the highway (well many of them) I always watch for them at this spot. I've seen 3 at a time there before. ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline miking

• Full Member x2
« Reply #852 on: June 05, 2011, 10:04:23 pm »
Looks like the migration has passed here. No new sightings in a week and resident birds are rearing young. Even the woods are quiet except for some robins and cardinals. Look forward to the nighthawk show every night though!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #853 on: June 06, 2011, 05:37:21 am »
Thursday I could here the nighthawks, but not their flying display. This was in the deep woods not near home. There were lots of flies for'm.

Dirty Harry

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #854 on: June 07, 2011, 08:23:17 am »
The cedar shack clan has flown the coup!  It looks like they all made it out , too. 8) 

My son is happy because now he can get back in there for his continuing research on the amount weight that can be  added into this tiny little building - one pocketful at a time. ::) :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #855 on: June 07, 2011, 04:21:00 pm »
Spooked a ruffed grouse from his log, heard a red breasted grosbeak or two, countless wood thrush, and tiny warblers of all kinds I couldn't begin to name. Robins all along the dirt roads.

Oh, what the heck: two moose, doe and fawn together all on roads.  Frogs down in a beaver pond. ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #856 on: June 07, 2011, 05:06:00 pm »
and a partridge in a pear treeeee    smiley_singsongnote02
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #857 on: June 07, 2011, 05:24:31 pm »
All in a days work. :D

Dirty Harry

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #858 on: June 08, 2011, 12:54:24 am »
Sure helps to make the days work worthwhile doesn't it?   :)

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #859 on: June 08, 2011, 07:07:48 pm »
Had a visit from a Peacoock when I started the grill tonight.
He liked the sliver of smoked sausage I offered him and that was my first mistake.
Our dog run him up the tree shortly after I had to scoot him away from the food because he was ready to grab it.

Lane Circle Mill