The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 271922 times)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #800 on: May 08, 2011, 09:09:22 pm »
I had one of them nest under the chicken coop eves. No way for me to see in there but I could reach up and put my hand in the nest.Went from empty to eggs,than soft and fuzzy and than empty. I did have fun checking on those critters.Would be real quit when they hatched but as soon as I would touch them,they would come alive and start chipping.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #801 on: May 08, 2011, 09:52:37 pm »
Here are a couple of clips of nests we discovered this weekend...

For those of you that can't upload the video, the first nest has been built in the boys' cedar shack.  Nick went to retrieve a small plastic tray with some rocks in it, but discoverd a bird had built a nest and layed some eggs.

The second video shows a momma bird defending her nest that she built down in the lifting arm of my shop crane.  She has 6 hungry chicks down in there that start chirping when they heresomeone coming near by. :)

Here are a couple of pics...

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #802 on: May 08, 2011, 10:10:38 pm »
Blue spotted eggs could be house finches, but that is a healthy nest.  Maybe you can get a look and see for sure what they are.  Our pair of house finches are busily building their nest in the hanging fern.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #803 on: May 09, 2011, 03:10:17 am »
I get phoebes here, but I have not seen any yet. Not warm enough yet for flies and bugs to be too active.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #804 on: May 09, 2011, 03:30:08 am »
Chris if the nest is hooded, could also be an ovenbird. Not sure if they like buildings, they usually nest near the ground and enter the nest on one side. House finch sounds more realistic though.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
« Reply #805 on: May 09, 2011, 06:57:32 am »
That is one large nest for small birds such as a house finch or ovenbird.  I may be off base, but I am going to guess starling.  They will nest anywhere and bring in huge amounts of debris and stuff.  Look at the nest, there are leaves attached to some of those twigs.  I have had them nest in boxes in my barn before.  Very unusual with that sort of hood or tunnel entrance.

Well, have Nick spy on the nest for us to end this mystery.  Thanks for the pics and videos.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
« Reply #806 on: May 09, 2011, 07:08:21 am »
I may have to retract my starling guess.  Their eggs aren't spotted.  Now I am more curious than ever.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #807 on: May 09, 2011, 07:16:09 am »
I'm going to guess Carolina Wren.

http://www.sialis.org/nestscarolinawren.htm

These eggs are tiny - about the size of a jelly bean.  Not those Jelly Belly things, but the real jelly beans.  We'll keep an eye on it and see.

Maybe she's back there right now....

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
« Reply #808 on: May 09, 2011, 08:29:01 am »
The video made the eggs look larger.  I think that you are right.  I have seen intricate nests for these little buggers before, and in some very unusual places.  Most do not choose open boxes or tupperware, like this one.  They like holes in things, like barn siding or bluebird houses.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #809 on: May 09, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »
Our phoebes have been around for a few weeks now. Traditional nest is above a yard light at the peak under the overhang of the gable end of the shed. Leaves the nest when I get a few feet from the shed door.

Today, three indigo buntings have joined a flock of 25-30 gold finches, along with cardinals, rose-breasted grosbeaks, chickadees, doves, and just in the last few minutes a pileated wood pecker.

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline miking

• Full Member x2
« Reply #810 on: May 09, 2011, 07:11:58 pm »
Heard swainson's  and wood thrush today. Like another poster said, the thrushes are among the best of bird songs.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #811 on: May 10, 2011, 03:41:01 am »
Every morning it's like I'm in a robin rookery or something with the singing before daylight. Another thrush.

We have wood thrush around here, but mostly in the deep woods of mature forest. Never see one in the yard. I can here them most all day with the white-throated sparrow. A lot more shy than a robin.

Dirty Harry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #812 on: May 10, 2011, 06:59:46 am »
The Kill Deer is gone. Only a few pieces of egg is left. I suppose a skunk,fox or whatever got the eggs. Have been looking at it with the binoculars but forgot about it until my friend came over with his both of his granddaughters.She would not get to see these things so down we went,to find it empty. Instead we went to throw rocks into the brook and see what the beaver had chewed off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #813 on: May 10, 2011, 04:29:34 pm »
Might have been hatched and moved off the nest. They will hide in the weeds and grass.  ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #814 on: May 10, 2011, 04:40:46 pm »
I did not think they would be hatched all ready.I was checking on them. Unless they can just about walk when they are hatched. I thought it took a while for them to leave the nest.I probably checked on them 2-3 days ago. Has a ways to go to hide in the weeds and grass. This nest was kinda in the middle of our blueberry field or I should call it blueberry barren. Not much grows there accept for the blueberries. She probably headed for the woods with them if they did hatch.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #815 on: May 10, 2011, 05:02:40 pm »
I think they leave pretty quick, maybe a few hours after hatching. I don't think they are naked like some birds, but more like a duck chick with thick down. I caught the little guys before, they run like road runners.

Dirty Harry

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #816 on: May 11, 2011, 09:23:16 pm »
Chris,

Any nests in those logs  :) ?  Sorry, could not help but notice the very nice logs ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #817 on: May 11, 2011, 10:49:48 pm »
Not sure, Danny.  But I have been watching what I believe to be a starling bringing huge sawyer grubs to her chicks.  They are probably coming from the pile. ::)  There's a little bit of everything in there - from ash to walnut.

Here's a little clip of the progress of the chicks in the shop crane..  :)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #818 on: May 12, 2011, 05:09:47 am »
There was a robin's nest in a spruce tree I tied a strip line ribbon on yesterday. She was making her presence known and wasn't happy. :D

Dirty Harry

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #819 on: May 12, 2011, 07:17:17 am »
Saw my first oriole yesterday, a male and a female checking out nesting sites in our big red elms next to the house. Would of never seen him except his song alerted me to his presence.

One of my favorite song birds.  :)