The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 272042 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #760 on: April 04, 2011, 09:11:55 pm »
And when he grabs something, he will stand his ground.  I am within 5 feet of this guy with a pocket camera.

He probably had a mouse, but his eyes said "go away".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline miking

• Full Member x2
« Reply #761 on: April 04, 2011, 10:26:50 pm »
Our duck migration is just about over. There are still some shovelers and blue-wing teal here, but before long we'll only have the resident mallards and wood ducks about. Duck migration just happens too fast!
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Offline chain

« Reply #762 on: April 05, 2011, 05:44:01 am »
Our duck migration is just about over. There are still some shovelers and blue-wing teal here, but before long we'll only have the resident mallards and wood ducks about. Duck migration just happens too fast!

Missouri Audubon Society is reporting a first-ever nesting record of a pair of, "Black-Bellied Whistling Ducks" in Lafayette county, Mo. last year. This species is native to Central and South America; however, is also being reported in Arkansas, Louisiana, Kansas, and is under review in Illinois.

The ducks took up housekeeping in a woodduck nesting box.

Offline miking

• Full Member x2
« Reply #763 on: April 08, 2011, 08:49:55 am »
I have head before that they were moving north but not for a while so thanks for the update. I hope to make a trip to south Texas this fall and hopefully see some there as I have never seen one. I did see tons of shovelers yesterday and a decent number of blue wing teal so there are still some ducks around as well as a bazillion coots. South of Havana the ditches along the highway are still flooded and the ducks and coots (aka mudhen, moorhen, water chicken) are in them and it's funny to see the coots picking in the grass right next to the asphalt and yes, some do get clobbered by traffic from time to time but no ducks and it makes me wonder if the ducks ever say 'Why did the water chicken cross the road?'  ::)
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Offline Burlkraft

• Senior Member x2
  • Plant Based Diet Since 7/10/07 I'm gonna be 6 soon
« Reply #764 on: April 08, 2011, 10:04:28 am »
The migration was early here too.

We had big numbers of teal and woodies.

It's about over here too, but it was a good one.

I can remember when woodies were scarce and I had only seen a couple of canvas backs in 10 years.

Plenty of each were around this year  8) 8)
I'm not as good as I use ta be, but if ya wanna give it a go, I'm game.

Tis always darkest beore the light

Offline clww

• Senior Member x2
  • Oh yeah? Watch this!
« Reply #765 on: April 09, 2011, 06:24:42 pm »
I was working on an oak tree project today in a customer's back yard. I was 75 feet up, so a great view of all the surrounding back yards. I watched a pair of mallards fly by and go into a yard about 3 yards over. The female flew up from the ground into a tree and perched on a limb. They were quaking at each other the whole time. She stayed up there for about 5 minutes before she rejoined the drake back on the ground.
 I read somewhere a few days ago about someone else seeing a duck in a tree. A first for me, minus wood ducks nesting.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60" Husky 372XP
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver for Millis Transfer

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #766 on: April 09, 2011, 07:09:49 pm »
I walked out the front door, and a yard full of robins is normal for spring time. I look under the front yard spruce and notice a kestrel dragging on something I assume was a bird it caught. I never got a good look at it's prey but the yard also has blackbirds of 5 kinds and chickadees, so it could be any of'm. Glad to see my first kestrel of the year was able to find his dinner. ;D

The robins are thick this year, I mean a lot.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #767 on: April 13, 2011, 09:40:53 pm »
A baby Sandhill Crane and the Parents have been hanging out.

Momma feeding the baby some worms. :)
Lane Circle Mill

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #768 on: April 14, 2011, 04:39:20 am »
Getting an early start.  ;D Nice.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #769 on: April 14, 2011, 08:13:43 am »
You could rent those guys out for lawn aeration.  :D

The little guy is sure cute, never seen pictures like this before. Thanks!

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #770 on: April 14, 2011, 04:47:15 pm »
I wonder how they work on carpenter bees  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #771 on: April 14, 2011, 07:38:54 pm »
Or Termites?
If a Bird is breed to eat Fireants sign me up for a couple. ::)
Lane Circle Mill

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #772 on: April 14, 2011, 07:54:54 pm »
Well, if the birds won't get'n, freeze the buggers. Go north. ;) :D

Feels like I need a fire right now. brrr. :D

Dirty Harry

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #773 on: April 16, 2011, 07:04:39 pm »
Klamath National Forest listed as one of nationís premier bird watching sites

A recent article in the U.S. National Forest Campground Guide has listed Klamath NF as one of the nationís premier places for bird watching. The Klamath-Siskiyou bioregion is noted for having a diversity of geology and vegetation.  The area overlaps the Cascade, Sierra Nevada and coast ranges with plant communities representing each of these zones.  In celebration of International Migratory Bird Day, the forest will sponsor a bird watching field trip Saturday, May 7, at the Shasta Valley Wildlife Area.  Local biologist and bird experts will lead the trip, which is open to the public.

The Chief's Newletter
~Ron

Offline miking

• Full Member x2
« Reply #774 on: April 29, 2011, 08:26:19 pm »
Saw a pair of peregrine falcons yesterday over downtown Peoria. They have been regular visitors in recent years hanging around the taller buildings and bridges where they seem to make a good living eating pigeons, and about 5 years ago some tenant put up a nest box which has not been used yet. Anyway, yesterday I saw them flying seemingly in unison as in some kind of courtship flight, so maybe this is the year we'll get some nesting? That'd be cool!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #775 on: April 29, 2011, 08:34:19 pm »
Tree swallows arrived here this week, still early for barn swallows up here.

Dirty Harry

Offline miking

• Full Member x2
« Reply #776 on: April 29, 2011, 09:05:11 pm »
I've seen trees and barns already and pretty sure I saw rough winged when I was looking at the peregrines. We've had a cold snap here until today and I think a lot of the migrants are stalled south of here. I've heard a few parula warblers and seen hermit thrush and brown thrashers, but that's about it.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #777 on: April 29, 2011, 09:18:27 pm »
Saw 2 pair of Tree Swallows on Tuesday and today we saw a pair of Rose Breasted Gross Beaks.

I think all we lack is the Hummers, Brown Thrashers, Barn Swallows.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #778 on: April 29, 2011, 10:52:41 pm »
My pair of House Finches are busily building a nest in the hanging fern.  It's a yearly ritual for them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #779 on: April 30, 2011, 05:36:21 am »
I think we have a million robins this year, they are thick. That's why the kestrels are getting populated a bit to, they hunt in the yard. Lots of flickers around and juncos. I think the juncos stay here anyway, but there was none around the house this winter. I don't feed. Haven't heard the thrashers here neither. They only come to a small sliver of land in NB along the Maine border. Have not seen the phebes yet, that's unusual but it only warmed up this week. Been cold. Only a couple wheel barrels of snow left on the back side of the house (north), be gone today. Still a big drift on the line and blown in a breeze way off the field to the old garden.

Dirty Harry