The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 271965 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #560 on: January 06, 2009, 04:58:21 pm »
It's "hard" fishing up here in winter when the rivers and lakes freeze solid, yet the Eagles stay here. I see them all winter along the river.  They eat hare, road kill, cats, dead deer what ever to keep from starving I guess. I can see skimming being a means of fishing like you say Tom. I suspect the older adults with more experience get good at it.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Phorester

• Forester
  • Can't have a healthy forest without cutting trees.
    • About Forestry Forum Host
Lunchtime
« Reply #561 on: January 06, 2009, 07:16:20 pm »
Hawk with his lunch.

As I was driving up to my house one afternoon before Christmas, I saw a big bird fluttering in the driveway.  Then this hawk flew away with a dead bird in his talons.  He flew to the roof of the kid's playfort.  I grabbed my camera and got a few poor shots as I walked toward the playfort snapping pictures trying not to spook him before he flew away.
About.Forestry.Com forum host. Ya'll come: http://forestry.about.com/mpboards.htm

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
Re: Lunchtime
« Reply #562 on: January 06, 2009, 11:53:53 pm »
Interesting that you posted that today. Same happened here, with a Coopers hawk feasting on a flicker..picked most of the feathers off first. Interesting.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #563 on: January 07, 2009, 07:45:33 am »
I have a screen porch under my upper deck. There are a couple of bird feeders on the upper deck.
In the winter, the screen porch is full of firewood and odds and ends.

When I went to feed the woodstove yesterday morning there was a bluejay in a corner of the screen porch banging against the screens. There is a door at each end about 12 feet apart but he was stuck in a corner... He got all excited when I showed up and dug himself into a space between the screening and a half sheet of foam insulation.

Thru the screen he looked kind of flat  :D I let him out with a utility knife. Don't use the screen porch for much but firewood ....
Was nice to see a jay close up !!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
« Reply #564 on: January 07, 2009, 10:23:16 pm »
A link my Sister sent me today:

http://skagiteaglewatchers.wordpress.com/

The Skagit River is about 18 miles north of me.  I fish up in that area a lot.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Donít attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline WildDog

« Reply #565 on: January 08, 2009, 01:31:53 am »
We have 2 large cranes that frequent our waterhole at the house. I got home today and Nicky said, "one Crane was flying and then the tinniest little Hawk hit it in mid air and the cranes wings just crumpled up and he fell straight down fortunately hitting the water.

Nicky said he rested on the rocks for a long while and then disappeared, hopefully not to a fox, as I type this I can can see one crane on a log in the middle of the creek but only the one.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #566 on: January 08, 2009, 12:35:26 pm »
I'd mentioned before about watching a live cam set up on Pete's Pond in Botswana, Africa and sponsored by National Geographic.  There are some interesting birds and wild animals that frequent the pond, and the pond is complete with a Nile croc.
Have been watching the croc kill a terrapin (turtle) and work on consuming it for several days. The croc also killed a large catfish and left the head on the bank. A fish eagle stole the head and dragged it off to eat it. Someone made a video of that bit of thievery if interested. 

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline JackSchaffer

• Ben Meadows
« Reply #567 on: January 10, 2009, 10:32:44 am »
Nice story sprucebunny.  That was fun to read.

Last year I planted a plot of New England asters, and this is the first winter I've been able to keep goldfinches into January.  I doubt that's a coincidence, and would appreciate any feedback!

Also I stopped using millet this year, and all the sparrows have left.
Jack Schaffer
Product Manager
Ben Meadows

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #568 on: January 10, 2009, 10:41:30 am »
Got lots of birds here without even feeding them. Blue jays, pine grosbeaks, chickadee, ravens, red polls, flocks of snow bunting, juncos. If I did start feeding, the blue jays would take over, sometimes 30 at a time. They sack continuously. I see gold finch to, feeding on weeds and burdock bushes mostly.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #569 on: January 12, 2009, 07:16:09 pm »
Noticed a bunch of at least twenty goldfinch today as luck would have it, on my walk from the shop to the house. Hard to tell them from snow bunting from a distance, sound almost the same to. They were feeding on seeds on some tall lamb's quarters stalks.

Dirty Harry

Offline Burlkraft

• Senior Member x2
  • Plant Based Diet Since 7/10/07 I'm gonna be 6 soon
« Reply #570 on: January 20, 2009, 12:19:47 pm »
This little guy has been hunting the brush pile in my yard. We put the Christmas tree in the snow out by it and Jill has been putting suet and popcorn and old bread out there for the birds. He has made this his breakfast hunting ground  ;D  ;D

I'm not as good as I use ta be, but if ya wanna give it a go, I'm game.

Tis always darkest beore the light

Offline WildDog

« Reply #571 on: January 20, 2009, 04:42:42 pm »
We are maddly spraying Balck Berry's at the moment over about 300 acres that I only run cattle on and not the goats. I am worried where all the Finches that nest in these bushes are going to go next season.

The Blue Wrens and Double Bar finches call them home. One neighbour has a 500 acre paddock alongside mine that he hasn't sprayed for many a year but through another neighbour I hear he's going to hit it soon so effectively a lot of habit will be lost for these little guys.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #572 on: January 20, 2009, 05:08:33 pm »
Looks like a merlin. We don't have them here in winter. Kestrel are similar and they were some thick here this summer. They perch on the power lines in fields. I think a nesting pair took refuge in a small stand of woods just up the road last spring. Sure was a noisey bunch and chased the robins a lot this fall in the orchard up there. They circled the place constantly.

Dirty Harry

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #573 on: January 20, 2009, 08:09:32 pm »
My lunch time had a visitor drop in for a bit.  Musta smelled my sammich. :D
Video is 1:08 long of an Immature Egret on the Hood of my car.

Lane Circle Mill

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #574 on: January 21, 2009, 12:07:43 am »
He seems to be enjoying the breeze and the view ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #575 on: January 21, 2009, 05:40:32 am »
You sure have a candid camera there mooseherder. :D

Dirty Harry

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #576 on: January 21, 2009, 06:35:56 am »
You sure have a candid camera there mooseherder. :D

My kids bought me this camera that fits in my front shirt pocket.  I'll carry it with me ready for impending action. :D  It is called Flip Mino.  Really an incredible camera with great sound.
Anybody looking for a camera needs to consider one of these.

http://www.theflip.com/

Lane Circle Mill

Online Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #577 on: January 24, 2009, 11:48:39 am »

We've had quite a few birds come in to our bird feeder to get sunflower seeds but one day last week we were really surprised when the light coming in the window was almost blocked.
We had a Wild Turkey actually land on the window-box bird feeder, only for a minute though.

He didn't like the chicken wire screen we had put over it, so, he left.

Chuck
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #578 on: January 31, 2009, 10:07:02 am »

I looked out our living room window this morning to see a bald eagle and two crows setting in a walnut tree about 50 yards from the house and about eye level.  I got out my camera and snapped a few pictures.  When I zoomed in,  I could no longer see the bird in the view screen so I got the picture off center.

Brooke got a better quality 8mp camera for Christmas but it was set on video mode and by the time I got it back on picture mode,  the eagle flew off.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #579 on: January 31, 2009, 04:50:54 pm »
A flock of waxwings descended upon my crab apple tree for last season's dried up apples. I never thought of the camera, could have taken one easily.

Dirty Harry