The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 271905 times)

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #540 on: July 18, 2008, 10:08:25 am »
Thanks for the warbler ID, SD  ;D Another interesting species ! ... The only member of the family Mniotilta and the only bird, besides nuthatches , that walks in any direction on the trunk of a tree in search of insects.

He is gone from the box, now. Hope he's OK
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #541 on: October 07, 2008, 09:31:29 am »
Juncos on the back lawn today. Friendly little buddies.  ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #542 on: October 30, 2008, 09:20:52 pm »
This is a Heron from a couple weeks back after we got a bunch of Rain.  He was pickin' off the minnows big time. :)
The coconut Palms around the pond where under water.

Lane Circle Mill

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #543 on: October 31, 2008, 06:26:24 am »
We have a lot of heron up here to, beautiful birds. The creek usually has 3 or 4 early in the mornings wading and fishing before fall migration. I have a couple that hang out near my woodlot, hopping from beaver pond to beaver pond.  :) I have been keen on sighting bitterns the last couple of years. Talked to one fellow hunting and he was perplexed at the noise those bitterns make. He had to look it up and the sound on an Encyclopedia of birds.

Recently, a forestry company was convicted of destroying heron nests while building road. The fine wasn't all that stiff, $50,000 and a donation to a conservation group. That's pretty much an annual wage of a company forester.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #544 on: November 09, 2008, 08:34:26 am »
We having been trying to identify this feller who was hanging out for a few hours last week.
Appears to come from the Pigeon family but not in any of our book pages.  Any ideas? ???

Lane Circle Mill

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #545 on: November 09, 2008, 04:39:34 pm »
white crowned pigeon , patagioenas leucocephala  ?

Found it in  National Geographic Field Guide to Birds of NA.

Dirty Harry

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #546 on: November 09, 2008, 04:46:31 pm »
I'm thinking he may have been someones pet allthough there wasn't a band on his leg.
My wife got within 2 feet of it and thinks she may have been able to pet it. (she didn't)  He was on this gate with the dog barking at his feet and the cat pushing and stretching himself at the bottom of the gate. :D
Lane Circle Mill

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #547 on: December 05, 2008, 06:44:53 am »
Iíve read over in the food section of this delicious meal that Jeff fixed with grouse.  I figured I would like to try a grouse and yesterday I spotted one. 

Iím going back today with my grouse gun to bag me one.  I called Arkansas Game and Fish to purchase a grouse tag but they told me I donít need one cause Arkansas donít have any....whata they know. ???  Stuffed grouse on the way. :)
Larry

Nine out of ten trees recommend wood for your building project.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #548 on: December 05, 2008, 07:02:43 am »
 :D :D

That's one of them road runner "grouse" ain't it Larry? ;)

Dirty Harry

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #549 on: December 05, 2008, 07:18:44 am »
Whatsa roadrunner taste like? ;D  Are you sure thats not an Arkansas grouse? :D

Larry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #550 on: December 05, 2008, 11:21:15 am »
Not unless grouse started taken a liken to snakes. ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #551 on: January 03, 2009, 06:59:45 pm »
While fishing this morning I found a place where the stripers had penned up a huge school of shad in the back end of a hollar.  The stripers would rip through the shad school at there pleasure...and shad parts would float to the top.  The eagles had also learned of this feeding orgy...they were standing by to clean up the pieces.  Donít want good shad parts going to waste. ;D

Just a side note...bout three years ago there were a pair of eagles that nested here.  They found they really like southern hospitality and are now official, full time Arkansas residents. :) :)

Larry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #552 on: January 04, 2009, 07:40:54 am »
I try to tell some people that although bald eagles eat fish, they don't catch them live. They pick up the carrion and rob the osprey. I fished on a salmon river here years ago and I watched the osprey do all the hard work and those white headed buzzards would come and steal their salmon catch from them. An eagle isn't build for fishing. I've seen osprey that could barely lift their catch and some would have to drop the fish. On the river there was a shallow place, a bar, we would see the fish moving over this shallow place and there is where the osprey fished. The water was always going down in the evening and up in the morning because of the dam during low demand in the evenings. Even out west they only eat those dead fish after they spawn, the bears catch live fish and won't touch a dead one.

Dirty Harry

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #553 on: January 04, 2009, 12:33:33 pm »
SD
Guess you've not seen the vids of the bald eagle catching live fish, still kicking as it flys away with it.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #554 on: January 05, 2009, 08:33:31 am »
Here's a video of a bald eagle fishing:

Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #555 on: January 05, 2009, 10:54:09 am »
I can't see it on dial-up Roxy, but is the bird wading or did he actually dive into deep water for a catch? Not snatch a sick one off the surface that was dying? No, we have lots of bald eagles here and I've never seen an eagle dive for a fish, not even on TV. I will see them wade in shallows and catch weak or dead fish and steal others on shore or take dead beached fish. I guess there is a fine line in fishing terms, pun intended. ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline ttbass1969

• Member*
« Reply #556 on: January 05, 2009, 11:35:07 am »
Evening Grosbecks, and the Red Finches are my favorite.

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #557 on: January 05, 2009, 11:37:55 am »
The eagle in the video is fishing in a pond, and it hoovers and then dives into the water for the fish.  It then sits in the water (just like a duck would) and takes off to a tree with the fish. 
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #558 on: January 05, 2009, 02:47:22 pm »
Curiosity got the better of me. I took the hour it takes to download those videos on dial-up. The eagle surely was fishing, but in shallow water on a muddy shole. The guy on the video said he was "sitting in water on the mud". That would be the only way he could take off from water. They usually have to swim if caught in deep water and sometimes drown. But, non-the-less he was fishing. The other guy's voice said "the fish have to be pretty small in there". Great video Rox.  :)

Dirty Harry

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #559 on: January 06, 2009, 04:25:47 pm »
Eagles catch mullet from deeper water here.  They have more luck in the salt water because of the schooling habits of the fish.  Mullet will form rafts of thousands of individuals and run in the current close to the surface.  Eagles will swoop down and grab one by sinking the talons of one, or sometimes both, feet through the fish.  The problems occur when the fish is too big and the bird can't get his talons unlocked.  The fish will drag the bird into the water and some eagles lose their lives there.  Usually the fish is lifted from the water or dragged along the surface to the shore, where the Eagle dispatches it post haste.  :)
extinct