The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 271957 times)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #340 on: May 26, 2007, 11:20:07 am »
DonK
Have those bluebird eggs hatched yet? 

I took this picture of the hatchlings in my bluebird house. I don't think they are bluebirds, but will keep a close eye out as they grow. Not much 'mother' activity that I have noticed. Usually the bluebird parents are very active when there are young in their nest box. Another clue I don't think they are bluebirds.

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Don K

• Senior Member x2
  • wanna lick some wood??
« Reply #341 on: May 26, 2007, 01:16:38 pm »
Beenthere, Me and Stew peeked in there yesterday and one of the five eggs had hatched probably just that morning. Little bitty pink naked thang. I imagine the rest will be hatched by this afternoon. I will check and get a pic if I can remember this evening when I get home from work. I kinda feel like a granddaddy :D :D ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Offline Don K

• Senior Member x2
  • wanna lick some wood??
« Reply #342 on: May 26, 2007, 08:07:52 pm »
Ok, here is what I found when I peeked in the box.

4 out of 5 eggs have hatched . I am hoping for 100%. I whistled lightly and they popped up like a jack-in-the-box. :D

I'll add pics as they grow.    Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #343 on: May 26, 2007, 08:44:44 pm »
DonK,

That is how my dogs look about 6:00 p.m. every day :D.  Those are cool little birds.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Don K

• Senior Member x2
  • wanna lick some wood??
« Reply #344 on: May 26, 2007, 08:49:36 pm »
What's funny is about 25 yds away are two big brushpiles for burning(if we ever get any rain) and the last four birds that hatched out are staying close to home perched up there. If I can get some more boxes up for next year I might have a population explosion. ;D

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
« Reply #345 on: May 28, 2007, 03:01:54 pm »
Linda had a high speed, close encounter with a large bird the other night.  She was on the way to work about 10:30pm when a large, light colored bird swooped down over the highway and collided with the windshield.  It left a large crack in the glass and mangled the radio antenna pretty badly.  We think it was probably an owl, since it was at night.  Gotta call the insurance company tomorrow. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Patty

• In Memoriam
« Reply #346 on: May 28, 2007, 03:27:31 pm »
Our little humming birds are back in full force. They are enjoying the nectar from our south flower garden. It is cool because we can see this flowerbed from inside the house. The little guys are there every morning and evening. We noticed more out on the clover patches near the dam. I think we may ahave a few nesting in the area this year.  8) 
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #347 on: May 28, 2007, 03:33:10 pm »
Glad she wasn't hurt, DanG. If you have comprehensive, Florida's insurance law allows replacement without a deductible.

I've never seen a hummingbird nest before.  It always amazed me that they migrated to South America.  Which, brings to mind the eco-argument that everyone should replace their SUV with a Mini.   That's what the hummingbirds do.  Drive to South America on a 50cc engine on a bicycle.  :D
extinct

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #348 on: June 01, 2007, 01:00:30 pm »
Cerulean Warbler

This small blue songbird is threatened by the fragmentation of the forests here, where they breed, and in the Andes Mountains where they winter.

I found out about them while looking for a particular birdcall that I hear alot, both where I live and at my woodlot. Turns out that this bird is the one making all the noise  I hope to actually see one, someday !

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/CEWAP/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerulean_Warbler

http://www.abcbirds.org/international/cerw.htm
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #349 on: June 01, 2007, 01:28:23 pm »
There are so many warbler species I can't begin to keep half of them straight in my mind. There was a flock of yellow rumped warbler here for a few days, then they migrated onward to the north to nest in softwood forest. Don't see a one now. I know they do a number on the insects, they were feeding like crazy here for a few days.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #350 on: June 01, 2007, 02:24:16 pm »
I've changed my mind about the identity of the bird. The recording I found first sounded JUST like what I hear but this website > http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/305/_/Black-throated_Blue_Warbler.aspx
Has a different voice for the Cerulean Warbler.

The voice they have for the Black throated blue Warbler seems more like what I hear and it's more correct  range-wise also. The big difference is that the birds I hear have 5 notes in thier song like the Cerulean, where that link plays a six note song ???

Ya. SD There sure is alot of different kinds of warblers !!!!

Offline Patty

• In Memoriam
« Reply #351 on: June 01, 2007, 02:27:19 pm »
Joan, you mentioned that you saw an indigo bunting. Try to listen to their song, it is beautiful. Indigo buntings like to nest in tall weeds. When we first moved to the country we had tall weeds everywhere  ::) . Those little guys would just sing and sing in the mornings. It was a pleasant way to wake up every morning, listening to their songs.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2007, 02:45:29 pm »
I enjoy hearing birds in the morning, also, Patty .

The websites I've found with bird songs haven't been entirely right, so far. ( or my hearing/memory is bad ... a possibility :D ) I'll try again to find the indigo bunting song ;D

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
« Reply #353 on: June 01, 2007, 10:31:21 pm »
I grew up in Montana and my favorite then was the meadow lark, they use to sit on the fence posts around the farm and sing.  The last two years I've had red wing blackbirds at the feeder, (surprised since we're up the hillside and in the trees,) and their my current favorite.

We spent last weekend out in Eastern Washington and NE Oregon.  Sunday morning on the highway watched a red tailed hawk climb up out of the sagebrush, (up a couple of hundred feet and climbing when I first saw him,) with a pretty good sized snake dangling below him.  Is it true they can take rattlesnakes without being hurt?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Donít attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #354 on: June 02, 2007, 05:19:27 am »
Nice to live by a little cat tail marsh and here the black birds and many other vocal birds, but when your up on a ridge surrounded by yard trees you have a lot of other birds equally as pleasant to listen to.  ;) Oh and no biting bugs, until after dark.  ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #355 on: June 02, 2007, 04:45:53 pm »
This little guy got trapped inside the garage today. He couldn't seem to figure out how to get back out.

We finally had to put a flat of salvia starts on the floor in front of the door to lure him out.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #356 on: June 02, 2007, 06:07:45 pm »
Looks like he/she was holding out for food :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Jeff

• Lead Administrator and Founder
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #357 on: June 02, 2007, 08:22:20 pm »
speaking of food.. Look at the drumsticks on our sand turkeys. ;D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #358 on: June 02, 2007, 09:03:54 pm »
Those are some beautiful cranes.  Were they on your property in the UP?

Offline Jeff

• Lead Administrator and Founder
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #359 on: June 02, 2007, 11:19:10 pm »
These two were on my sisters, but I have had as many as three pair at one time on mine this past weekend. When I didnt have the camera handy  :-\   We have large populations up there. You can hear them all the time.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.