The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 271920 times)

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #320 on: May 07, 2007, 08:53:24 pm »
Alot of activity here this morning with this egyptian goose quacking a 5 alarm alert. Dare is Trouble in da pond. :D

Here comes Backup. :D

These 4 River Otters came fishing without a permit. ;D

Great Blue Herons aren't Afraid of Otters. They like to harass them and steal the otters fish. This Heron was waiting for the fresh fish. And then in hot pursuit when otter ran to neighbors pond.

And the last Pic.  An otter having enough of the Goose yacking and chasing off.

Lane Circle Mill

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2007, 09:08:46 pm »
Them blue herons are funny looking flying.Thier wing go up and down so slow.I saw one taking off from a tree while driving down the road.I almost went off the road watching it.This one had to crunch way down and than leap off the branch.First it was 4 feet tall,than it was a foot tall.Looked real odd,but it worked for him.Saw one fly right up the road here once.Was about 6 feet off the ground.Good thing it's a dead end dirt road.Nice pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Don K

• Senior Member x2
  • wanna lick some wood??
« Reply #322 on: May 11, 2007, 09:34:08 pm »
The bluebirds have rebuilt the nest I removed from the box last week and have laid a new batch of eggs. This will be the second hatching this year. I will post pics of the babies when they hatch. I hope for three broods this year from this pair. :)   
Don

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #323 on: May 19, 2007, 05:47:09 pm »
Here's a neat wetland bird.  ;D

American bittern in some wetland near my woodlot.  :)

Bye bye buddy.  ;D

Sounds

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #324 on: May 19, 2007, 09:09:03 pm »
Hoot

Hoot Hoot
Larry

Nine out of ten trees recommend wood for your building project.

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #325 on: May 20, 2007, 09:40:04 pm »
These two geese came walking through my yard last week. They were heading due south to escape the cold weather we had last week. It has warmed up today, so I expect to see them on their way back north soon.
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Well the geese couldn't make up their mind whether to head south or north, so they just stayed around and started a family.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Offline Don K

• Senior Member x2
  • wanna lick some wood??
« Reply #326 on: May 20, 2007, 10:01:40 pm »
I went and checked on my bluebirds when I got home from Sawlex today. There are now 5 eggs instead of the 3 in my photo. I don't know how they will fit in there if all them hatch. :o
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #327 on: May 24, 2007, 10:17:56 am »
I REALLY wish I had a picture !!! I finally saw a bird that I always wanted to see. An Indigo Bunting ! The books say they are around the Eastern US in the summer but I'd never seen one. They are a beautiful dark blue  8) I was so excited that I bought a lottery ticket :D but seeing the bird was more fun ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #328 on: May 24, 2007, 12:17:02 pm »
We occasionally see Indigos around our place.  They certainly are beautiful and a treat to see.
Check off another bird on your lifetime list!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #329 on: May 24, 2007, 01:44:42 pm »
I looked out the window this morning and there was an Indigo Bunting fighting with his reflection on my truck mirror.  :D

They are quite common on our farm but I always stop to appreciate their beautiful color.

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #330 on: May 24, 2007, 03:03:26 pm »
Well, maybe y'all could answer a question for me.  We put up a blue bird house this spring.  The bird that is inside is brilliant blue, but is darker than I remember bluebirds, and this bird has more white on it's chest.  Is that an Indigo bunting?  Will they use a bluebird house? 

Inquiring minds need to know.   :)
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #331 on: May 24, 2007, 03:12:49 pm »
To the best of my knowledge (which is always suspect) the male indigo shows no white.  It is a deep blue with small black bands on the wing.  The female is a rather plain brown bird.
The eastern bluebird has some white low on the belly but the breast is more orange to brown.
You may have seen a mountain bluebird which has more white and no brown.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #332 on: May 24, 2007, 06:18:52 pm »
The males Indigo Buntings I've seen have no white on their breast and the females are as Robert said. I think you have a bluebird Roxie, they can have some light patches on their breast around here but not white. You are quite a ways east of me so the local ones may be different than ours.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #333 on: May 24, 2007, 06:25:31 pm »
I keep my eye out for the scarlet tanager. I usually only see one nesting pair, and some summers none at all.

I have not seen the Baltimore oriel in 10 years up here, and the barn swallow was nearly wiped out here in 1996 from a very cold May. Used to be hundreds here on the wires and now maybe 2 or 3 pair.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #334 on: May 24, 2007, 07:18:06 pm »
I wish I had a telephoto lens, it would make things so much easier.  I just got the binoculars out and what I assume is he, is sitting on the top of the birdhouse.  The color of this bird is Lapis Blue or an electric Royal Blue.  He has a completely white breast and abdomen all the way up to his throat and cheeks.  Their is a black mask around the eyes and the rest of the bird is this atonishing color of deep blue.  I've seen blue birds, but this doesn't look like any blue bird that is common around here.  There isn't a speck of orange or red or brown on this fella.  There is a female inside sitting the nest and I can see her poke her head outside.  She also has a white throat and cheeks, but the rest of her coloring is difficult to discern. 

The only bluebird I'm familiar with is the Eastern Bluebird.  This is not an Eastern Bluebird. I've never seen a Mountain Bluebird, Onewithwood.  Does this description fit?  This birds only colors are blue, white and some black.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #335 on: May 24, 2007, 08:20:42 pm »
Roxie, are you sure it's not a tree swallow?

Dirty Harry

Offline bitternut

« Reply #336 on: May 24, 2007, 09:58:17 pm »
Roxie I think Donkey has pegged your nesting bird. I get lots of tree swallows in my blue bird boxes. Thats why I always place two boxes within about ten feet of each other. I get tree swallows in one of them and a pair of blue birds in the other. The swallows will not allow another pair of swallows near their nest box but will allow the blue birds.

Check the box to see if the nest has feathers in it and white eggs. If it does its a tree swallow for sure. Nice birds to have around as well as the blue birds.

I have indigo buntings at my feeder. They will take black oil sunflower seeds and niger seeds. They don't stay long like some of the other birds.

I also get orioles at my hummingbird feeders. I get baltimores and orchard orioles. I have a couple of larger feeders that I remove the bee guards to make it easier for them to feed. Orioles also go quite readily to suet.

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #337 on: May 25, 2007, 12:34:47 am »
SwampDonkey wins the prize!   8)  It is indeed a Tree Swallow, and I've never seen one before.  How cool is that?   :)

Tom sent me a link that lets ya look these critters up by color and I found a picture and sure nuff, it's a Tree Swallow.

Bitternut, you sure know your birds! 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #338 on: May 25, 2007, 05:36:21 pm »
I've only seen a Indigo Bunting  once in my area.Not all that common around here.I had to get the bird book out to find out what it was.The Baltimore Orioles are back.But they won't stay long here,maybe a couple weeks.We put out the oranges for them.We bought a special feeder for them.That was a waste of money.Where my wife use to live they stay down there all summer long and so does the Cardinals.She only lived about Ĺ an hour from here.That's the only thing she misses when I bought her out in the country.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
« Reply #339 on: May 25, 2007, 10:42:12 pm »
Our first Western Tanagers are back this week.  Little bit early.  They usually return about the time the salmon berries start to ripen.  Probably the most colorful bird we have here in the NW.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Donít attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.