The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 271994 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #1060 on: April 21, 2012, 09:32:46 pm »
Quote from Briscoe Darling on the Andy Griffith Show, "What a owl does is a owl's own business). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Don K

• Senior Member x2
  • wanna lick some wood??
« Reply #1061 on: April 21, 2012, 11:24:38 pm »
I did not get a picture last week but was treated to a once in a lifetime bird sighting. There were 7 wood storks roosting in a big dead pine at my grandaddy's home site. They are quite ugly birds and my neighbor looked them up on the web and say they are rare in our parts. I guess they were migrating through.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1062 on: May 03, 2012, 04:18:54 pm »
Saw a few partridge this week (ruffed grouse) and took a video of a hen crossing the road. Just left her and went a few yard and there was the rooster on the side of the road. In the outback the grouse are not skiddish like near the settlements. More tame than chickens. ;D

I also took a video of a bald eagle sitting in a red spruce. Quite a long ways from a big body of water, but some small rivers near by.

Also saw a northern harrier hawk with a snake for a meal. ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1063 on: May 08, 2012, 04:03:56 pm »
No photos, as the GPS doesn't have a camera.  ;D But while marking off strip lines in thinning I walked right up to two woodcock nests, on separate lines. We have a color of ribbon to mark trails and safety concerns, I marked the nest locations. I would imagine the young leave the nest quite early like grouse do anyway. But those woods were full of woodcock today.  :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Staples Forestry
« Reply #1064 on: May 08, 2012, 04:43:38 pm »
I am with Danny, hard to see Bro Nobles name and not go back and read the thread.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
« Reply #1065 on: May 15, 2012, 08:31:53 am »
   Just wanted to make a small contribution.  This guy showed up while I was having lunch.  He may have owned a skidder with a detroit in another life.

He  was unsure where the sound of the camera was coming from and had a slow moving vechicle sign on the back.

He was definately not happy with a photo op while he was doing his wood work.   :D
logon

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
« Reply #1066 on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:40 am »
In contrast to those nice pics, what confounds me about Flickers is the amount of time this woodpecker spends on the ground.  I know of no other that has this habit.  My cats have taken more than I would like to admit, and I have no way to stop that.  :(   Their feathers on the ground are unmistakable.  Fortunately, there seems to be no shortage of this species in my neck of the woods.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1067 on: May 15, 2012, 10:04:11 am »
At times the flicker seems to be as thick as robins and other times they must be off doing their thing. But robins are like that to. There is a spell that they are mainly in the woods and other times they take to the fields and yards.

Dirty Harry

Offline terry f

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1068 on: May 15, 2012, 03:32:35 pm »
     Flickers get a bad rap around here, they seem to be the only woodpecker that has a taste for houses, but one of my favorite birds. Anything looking to eat bugs all day, can't be all bad.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1069 on: May 18, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »
Speaking of birds, rec'd this today.

Unbelievable craftsmanship!!!!

Singing-Bird Pistols-Very Rare

This is a short video on a pair of almost 200-year old mechanical singing-bird pistols; whether or not you are an antique or fine art aficionado, you'll be glad you took a moment to watch this one-of-a-kind object of pure fancy. I thought I had excessive time on my hands........

http://www.christies.com/features/singing-bird-pistols-en-1422-3.aspx
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1070 on: May 19, 2012, 08:31:49 am »
I wonder how long it took to make them?

Sold for 5.8 million, a little out of my price range.

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
« Reply #1071 on: May 19, 2012, 08:42:05 am »
Should have been a Forestry Forum auction item!  Would have sold for less than the axe!

Pretty cool, though.  Thanks for the post, beenthere.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Cypressstump

• I'm not so new now!
« Reply #1072 on: May 23, 2012, 11:06:45 am »
Down here we don't have as many flickers as I used to see as a kid in the woods. Have a mess of the red headed woodpeckers and as of late the pilated woodpeckers have made a very strong comeback. I have a nesting pair on my property. The young are oblivious to humans, and very curious. They'll fly down on a tree trunk at eye level and check you out sometimes. Very large birds. They will make a complete mess of any unpainted /treated wood that borer bees have laid egss/larvee in. They've torn up some exposed rough cut pine rafter ends on a out building, in search of the larvee. They also will wake the near dead from a sound sleep when hammering on those doggone rafters.... >:(  They must have a continous headache throughout their lifes... :)

Sunday while sitting on my dock having a cold adult beverage watching the boat traffic go by, during a break in traffic, an Osprey came overhead, folded up tight with his wings behind his back, feet extended and dove into the water after a fish. He was successful, and naturally a crow got after him, attempting to rob him of his dinner.

Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Offline terry f

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1073 on: May 23, 2012, 11:59:15 am »
     Like you Cypresstump, I always wondered how those birds heads could take that beating. Those pilated can sure throw some chips.

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • PC Specialties
« Reply #1074 on: May 23, 2012, 02:35:26 pm »
You can say that again. I had a downed tree behind the shop and the Pileated woodpeckers tore it apart. It looked like it was done over with a stump grinder. Woodpeckers are amazing. It's a wonder their heads don't come off. The reason they don't suffer brain damage may be because their brains are small and packed in their skull tightly. They also hit straight on and that avoids twisting the brain. Or so I've read.

Offline Cypressstump

• I'm not so new now!
« Reply #1075 on: May 23, 2012, 03:05:49 pm »
I saw a documentary where woodpeckers were a topic. It was said that they have an extraordinary thick skull and their brain is encased in a substance that is thicker than in  other birds or animals, the stuff acts as a shock absorber Their brain is proportionately smaller to their size than in other creatures, they have a special muscle that absorbs the impact given the fact their brain is located above the centerline of their beak. An like Den mentioned the blows are intentionally straight forward to keep torsional forces minimized. On top of everything else they have a tongue that is barbed to help retrieve insects from their burrows. And they look freaky when you think about it..
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Offline chain

« Reply #1076 on: June 13, 2012, 09:58:16 pm »
Our bluebirds are back and nesting in the yard box. Last year was a first ever for nesting bluebirds here, also in June. Think I've figured out why they are nesting late here is..because we have so many sparrows and starlings that nest earlier and compete with the BBs, but at this late date the other birds have raised their young and flown the coop!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1077 on: June 14, 2012, 04:26:24 am »
The tree swallows here take over any nest box and they are kind of territorial so any other nest box near by gets guarded to. Mom has seen blue birds for the last few years, but no one she has talked to have them in nesting boxes. I guess they much just nest in the thickets instead. We have small birds here that nest into early August. The woods are alive with little birds, some I don't know because you can't see them in the thickets.

Dirty Harry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1078 on: June 14, 2012, 04:35:56 am »
In areas of NS they have found a few bald eagles getting sick or dying from lead poisoning. It is believed to be from lures in fish and lead shot in animals that they consume.

Dirty Harry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #1079 on: June 14, 2012, 07:45:40 am »
Saw a  hummingbird perched on the telephone line. I have a nest on top of 2 boxes of chains for my chainsaw. I have the boxes hung on a nail in the tractor shed. The Pee Wees are just about ready to leave the nest i would think. One of my friends Granddaughter heads right over there every time see comes over. I think Mama got after my dog the other day. I heard a yelp and kinda saw her fly away from her. I had a canadian goose in the field the other day. We hear them down at the pond alot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79