The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 272098 times)

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #1040 on: February 21, 2012, 05:06:29 pm »
Our mild weather here in Ohio this winter theres something wierd going on. In past years on late winter days when you would get a break in the weather you would see and hear robins singing. Here it's almost the end of Feb. with a very mild winter and I heard one robin. Sure hope they don't know something we don't  :D.
Bill

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
« Reply #1041 on: February 21, 2012, 05:21:26 pm »
I don't know.  I have yet to see or hear a robin, but the doves are all paired up.  The bluebirds never left and the juncos are still here.  I am in "bird go-figure" mode, because I have never seen a winter, or a lack of winter, like this.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1042 on: February 21, 2012, 05:37:24 pm »
The robins have been here in NB all winter, they are just down in southern New Brunswick like Sussex and St John. They were in Fredericton in January I know. None up here since around Christmas. I won't see any until April, maybe end of March, but a big maybe.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Riggs

• Everybody dies, not everyone lives!
« Reply #1043 on: February 21, 2012, 05:49:14 pm »
We had Robins here several weeks ago, but I haven't seen them lately. I'm with Autocar, I hope they don't know something we don't. ???
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #1044 on: February 22, 2012, 10:08:04 am »
I just saw 2 bald eagles on the ice yesterday. Took me a few seconds to figure out what they was. I don't see many around here. Still no birds coming to the feeder for bird seeds. The wood peckers are working on the suet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #1045 on: March 17, 2012, 09:45:07 pm »
I saw an Amazon King Fisher today, although they are not supposed to be north of Texas.  There is no mistaking the size, head crest and beak.  It was mostly gray and white, and when it flew, there were white stripes on the underside of the wings.  It was near a creek in a wooded area. 
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1046 on: March 23, 2012, 08:40:51 am »
Yesterday morning I  looked outside my kitchen window and next to the LP tank was a bird I thought was extinct in these parts....a female quail. The last one I saw was 8 years ago. Sure hope she's able to nest successfully!

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #1047 on: March 23, 2012, 09:35:27 am »
I miss hearing their "bob white" call.  I often wonder if they would reestablish if I bought and released a couple of dozen birds.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
« Reply #1048 on: March 23, 2012, 06:24:46 pm »
While driving on curvy Route 1 along the California coast yesterday,  I came around one of many "blind" turns in the road and startled a Golden Eagle.  He was feeding on something right next to the pavement.  He launched upward, barely clearing my windshield.  Quite a sight!  If my window had been rolled down I could have touched his tail feathers!  What a view of a beautiful predator!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1049 on: March 23, 2012, 10:18:53 pm »
Mother says she sees golden eagles here once in awhile. Mostly along the river. I never seem to see them.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
« Reply #1050 on: March 24, 2012, 04:29:16 pm »
SD -

Our Ontario cabin is on the same lake as a Queen's university biologic station.  They've got some very informed naturalists there.  They tell me that Golden Eagles are uncommonly seen in that area, and the sightings usually occur during the winter months.  I have never seen one in eastern Canada either but I'm not there during hard water time!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1051 on: March 24, 2012, 05:13:36 pm »
According to my map we have a tiny isolated wintering population here along the Maine/New Brunswick border in the St John River Valley. And a small pocket up on the tip of the Gaspe, Quebec that is year round. Most of the eastern range is far northern Ontario, Quebec and Labrador.

Dirty Harry

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • PC Specialties
« Reply #1052 on: March 30, 2012, 05:10:15 pm »
Pine Creek, which runs through the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon runs through our front yard. We see a lot of Bald Eagles but we are pretty far downstream from the canyon. They usually show up down here late in the summer. More fish down here when the creek is shallow up stream, I guess. Anyway, we saw one in the front yard the other day. Very unusual.

One time while camped in the canyon, I walked down to check the canoes early one morning. I saw a Bald Eagle sitting in a tree across the creek. I watched him while I drank my coffee. All of a sudden he jumped off the branch, flew in front of me and hit the creek with a loud splash. He missed his fish. When he got a couple feet in the air again, he shook like a dog. I never imagined.

Another time, we had climbed a steep mountainside. We climbed out on a big rock that overlooked the creek. All of a sudden there was a Bald Eagle in our face. He came in lower than the rock and swooped up to land where we were sitting. He spread his wings to apply the air brakes. That was awesome.

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • PC Specialties
One strange bird
« Reply #1053 on: April 20, 2012, 11:08:31 am »
Check out the chainsaw at the end. Fascinating but kind of sad that a saw is part of his vocabulary.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1054 on: April 20, 2012, 12:20:15 pm »
I got the strange feeling the chainsaw sound was dubbed in for the "enviro" effect. ;)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • PC Specialties
« Reply #1055 on: April 20, 2012, 12:49:26 pm »
You can't be serious. Would David Attenborough cheat? I think not!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1056 on: April 20, 2012, 07:05:32 pm »
I have to watch the barn door this time of year to keep it closed because the birds will get in and get trapped up stair and head to the windows to get out but can't. The other day heard a phoebe in there chirping and sure enough up in one of the windows. But I drove the bugger out.

Dirty Harry

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #1057 on: April 20, 2012, 09:47:20 pm »
David Attenborough is one of my favorite Naturalists.

Every time that I see this thread, I smile and think about Bro. Noble.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1058 on: April 21, 2012, 10:05:17 am »
We have a large population of bluebirds at our place this year, seems they've shown up earlier than before too. Patty's little bluebird house has a nesting pair in it which is a first too. They have to be one of my favorite birds.  :)

Me too Danny, seems to be a fitting tribute to a great guy.

Offline Phorester

• Forester
  • Can't have a healthy forest without cutting trees.
    • About Forestry Forum Host
« Reply #1059 on: April 21, 2012, 07:03:07 pm »

Owls Take No Prisoners

About.Forestry.Com forum host. Ya'll come: http://forestry.about.com/mpboards.htm