The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

[/tr][/table]
extinct

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2006, 10:11:15 pm »

Took the picture a while back of these birds. If I remember right they were about 3ft tall.  I don't remember what kind of birds they were; can anyone tell me what they are. smiley_headscratch
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2006, 10:20:45 pm »
Emu - from Aussie. They are related to an ostrich I think, but only about 1/2 the size.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2006, 10:32:38 pm »
Thanks Ianab, I took the picture 37 years ago just outside Sydney. No wonder I don't remember what they were.  ;) When my kids saw the picture they wanted to know what kind of bird they were, now I can be knowledgeable and tell them. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Online Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2006, 10:33:54 pm »
My neighbor, cousin's husband, was going to make his fortune raising Emus ::)  Didn't work out ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2006, 06:05:26 am »
My neighbor, cousin's husband, was going to make his fortune raising Emus ::)  Didn't work out ;) ;D

Same thing was going to happen here. I don't know who talks these people into these 'adventures' ;D :D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2006, 11:27:42 pm »
Donna and I spent Christmas (2005) with her father and sisters in Okeechobee, Florida.  He lives on the east bank of the Kissimmee River, not too far from where it empties into Lake Okeechobee.  There are a pair of Sandhill Cranes that have been coming to his front door for the past 3 years for a handout of a couple of handfuls of corn.  It's fun watching them.  They eat about 10 feet from his front door.  We can go outside and they don't spook unless we get too close. They keep an eye on us and if we get into their comfort zone, you can see them getting nervous and they'll walk off to the neighbor's yard.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2006, 05:31:30 pm »
Guess these be under 'birds' that showed up under the white oak tree this afternoon. 7 good size Toms and were so close to the window I could stand a few feet away and get their picture. (Not as cute as the one Buzz posted).

Then shortly after, nine jakes showed up and their reflection caught their attention, and they kept pecking at the window glass. I was afraid they would break it, so opened the window after some pics to shoo them away. They left in a hurry. The flash didn't bother them a bit.  ::) ???

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2006, 10:40:34 pm »
I've had cardinals do that at the window in the shop, a turkey would get your attention rapping on the glass!

We and the mason's were talking at lunch the other day that none of us had seen a turkey around the jobsite. Sure enough, I rolled in Friday morning and 16 were in the yard. After hunting them I do think they are part telepathic  :D.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2006, 01:48:21 pm »
Everybodies buddy in the north woods. Chick-a-dee a dee a dee :)

If I go to the woods without seeing these guys, there's gotta be something wrong and probably not a good sign of things to come.  ::)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2006, 06:45:05 pm »
There has been a campaign going on here in Michigan for some time to make the chickadee the State Bird since it stays here all year long and is a friendly one and indicator species as you stated.
~Ron

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2006, 09:14:18 pm »
I live in the city and really miss those little guys. When they start singing I know it is spring 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2006, 09:42:48 pm »
What makes my head spin is that when I hear all the birds singing at night in the Spring before they settle down for the night and realise that the ones I'm hearing are only a tiny fraction of the population in this valley. No matter where I was to go,I'd hear them singing,even if I hopped in the truck and drove like a mad man for 20 miles,when I stopped and listened,I'd hear those birds.

Bless em  8)

eg  tregar  meste  på  Tulla, for  ho  var  krulla  i  ulla.

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2006, 11:27:46 pm »
Sure they weren't just in your head Paul ??? ::)

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2006, 11:39:59 pm »
Yeah,and sometimes a Bird will mock me  ;)

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2006, 11:45:54 pm »
 :D :D :D
People always say "a little bird told me", well I only know a handfull of little birds that can talk, so I figure we are in the same boat! ;) ;D

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2006, 11:50:51 pm »
Like I said,bless em eh  ;)

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2006, 11:53:20 pm »
Um, yeah something like that! ;)

Anyone seeing Robins yet?

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 271966 times)

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2005, 01:50:32 pm »
Do cardinals expect a certain kind of bird feeder...say maybe a tray feeder ??? They were walking around on the deck looking for seeds and not landing on either perch type feeder.

They would cock thier heads sideways and look at shells. They look so cheerful and festive ;D

There is a small woodpecker that comes and eats seeds every day.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2005, 02:43:54 pm »
I use an ordinary clear plastic tube feeder that has a tray at the bottom for cardinals, and feed only safflower seed. The birds I don't want will not eat the safflower seed, and birds I do want will eat it.  Squirrels don't eat safflower either.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2006, 09:44:40 pm »
Cruising along I-295 this afternoon,  My wife and I saw these Woodstorks standing together on the side of the road at the ditch.  I dont know if this is the same flock that I saw on the road back home but it seems that the numbers are equivelant  and they were within 10 miles of my last sighting.

We turned around at the next exit and went back, turning around at yet another exit to get as close as we could to them.  I got the camera out and stuck it out of the window.  They were way off on the Interstate right of way, next to the ditch, so I was already behind the eight ball.

AS we inched along the emergency area on the side of the road, they marched, hesitatingly, away from us just like herding cattle.  It wasn't long before they flew.  This is all I got. 

One of these days I am going to get a camera with a long lense and get real intimate with these rascals.   Being as rare as they are, it makes me feel good to see them hanging around.  The downside is that the pine plantations they were living in is fast becoming dense, residential housing.  I can just picture some of the Urbanites taking potshots at them with a 22. [/left]