The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: any fisherman here?  (Read 3871 times)

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
Re: any fisherman here?
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2017, 08:09:10 am »
The past two mornings we have awoken to pretty intense thunder storms which convinced us to stay in. 

I got up at 3 and at 7 it was still storming.
Friday, we were able to get out. We netted some bait, headed to a wreck about 15 miles offshore to try to catch some sardines for more bait-did not get many but we trolled some plugs for a few minutes and caught a couple if kingfish. We wanted to catch grouper and snapper so we headed to some spots that we used to fish years ago that are about 26 miles off of the coast.

The fishing was a little slow at times but we saw several loggerhead turtles and a green turtle. There was not a puff of breeze and the Gulf was calm. We did end up catching several yellowtail and Lane Snapper, a limit of Red Grouper and a few others. I got broken off a couple of times by big grouper while using 100 lb test and JMoore pulled a shark that was about 10' long up beside the boat. 

Last night our families ate blackened snapper and fried snapper.
Caveman

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2017, 04:04:38 am »
NJ Fisherman caught 926 lb Mako Shark Friday night . Story is in www.usatoday.com . It's also shark week on discovery channel .
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Online tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2017, 04:37:34 pm »
I fished makos in the mid 80's with some success.... Here are some old pics of me when my hair was a different color. Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2017, 03:11:54 pm »
   Friends from NC unexpectedly called on Friday and said they were coming for the weekend. I thought they were just going to overnight so I figured maybe they’d like a catfish trip so I put about 40 limblines out using creek chubs and minnows from the creek in front of my house. I checked for bait to make sure bass and crappie had not knocked off my bait at dusk. I had one small (1/2 lb) bass on one hook so I took him off and hooked him in the tail and put him back on for bait. The next hook had a 10 lb channel cat and I had a 5 lb channel a couple lines up. I took Abbie, my 9 y/o granddaughter, out Saturday for a special WV antlerless youth hunt. She had a nice doe 5-6 yards away but I had left the scope on 9 power and she could not find her and she got away. We came home and went to check our lines. The half lb bass had been replaced by a 16 lb flathead. We had 8 fish that totaled about 44 lbs. We went back in late afternoon and baited with the minnows I had and we caught 13-14 little bream and put them on for bait. We went back this morning and took up the lines. The first hook had a 17 lb flathead. We had 7 more catfish including a 19-1/2 and a 10 lb flathead and the rest were smaller channels and flathead. One line seemed to be missing till I spotted the pink flagging in the water. When we got close I spotted a big mink, the biggest I have ever seen, running the river bank and I showed him to Grayson my partner/weekend guest. We found where the line was tied but could not see the line till I saw it ran up on the bank and I spotted a 3-4 lb channel cat. I pulled him to us. He was still alive but you could see where the mink had started to chew on his chin. Another 30 minutes and the mink would have finished his sushi breakfast. First time I ever know of a mink trying to steal my fish. All total the catch was about 66 lbs and for the 2 nights around 125 lbs.  We had a flathead belly for lunch and Grayson and Tonya took all the fillets back with them this afternoon. Had a great weekend and a good catch of fish especially since it was totally unplanned and unexpected.

Me and Grayson holding a 17 & 19.5 lb catfish and 6 more up to 10 lbs in the net.

Checking the weight on a flathead.

Checking another flathead's weight.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2017, 03:58:56 pm »
Y'all have some fine eating in store.  Nothing beats fried catfish.   :)
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2017, 07:58:42 pm »
Roxie,

Yes. Becky brought out a big bowl and collected the belly fillets off the first flathead catfish we skinned and by the time we got finished cleaning and filleting the rest then getting a quick shower and change of clothes she and Tonya had a fine lunch of fresh fried catfish, cole slaw, baked beans and grits waiting for us. We had a blast this weekend with friends and our granddaughters and good eating to wind it up.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"