The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Colorado Elk 2017  (Read 6444 times)

Offline bucknwfl

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: Colorado Elk 2017
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 01:32:04 pm »
Getting ready for a trip and organizing the gear is almost as much fun as the trip. Mr. Lynn i hope you have a great time. Wish i was heading West too

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 01:56:07 pm »
I am having a bit of trouble with the Polaris 425 Xpedition and now I am looking for a problem in the front drive, maybe a CV joint?
"A problem in the front end" was an understatement.  I have two new front axles e/w CV joints ordered.  I guess that 15 years is long enough to expect without any repairs/replacements. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 08:36:39 pm »
Lynn, when one opens up a old ATV, one will always find all kinds of work. I have a old bayou 220 that the last time I used was about 4 years ago. It's a 1990. Bought it new way back then. In all those years, only a couple batteries, tires and one front bearing was replaced. Got it put to the side for my grandson. ;D

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 06:31:47 pm »
I am having a bit of trouble with the Polaris 425 Xpedition and now I am looking for a problem in the front drive, maybe a CV joint?
"A problem in the front end" was an understatement.  I have two new front axles e/w CV joints ordered.
The good news was that it did not need but one new axle/CV joint to the tune of $201.00.  The 4Wheeler says that it is ready to go.

I am riding the bike 10 miles every day that I can and topping that off with walking, squats, & stretches.  We are not but ~2 weeks away from leaving.   move_it

I do not plan to saw but one more job and it is a one day 70 mile road trip.  I told a caller "November" this morning and he was OK with that.

EDIT:  I rode 12 miles tonight.   thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline francismilker

• Udderly happy!
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 09:57:04 pm »
My son and I have plans to someday go on the Colorado Elk hunt.  It's something we've never done and maybe some day can put together the time and schedules to make it happen. 

I wish you the safest travels and tons of fun and pray for a very awesome trip for you.  May the Lord bless you and yours MM!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 08:51:56 am »
We leave two weeks from tomorrow so are on a countdown schedule now.  (leaving on the 17th)  I plan to make my final trip to the "shooting range" today and gather a few more items from the Cabin.  I keep thinking that I am forgetting something but that is normal.   smiley_dizzy  I do have a sorta checkoff list.

My last planned sawing is a 70 mile one way road trip on the 13th.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 06:05:53 pm »
Both rifles are zero'ed at 250 yards and holding nice tight groups inside of a 3" square; 30-06 with Nosler Custom 165 gr Accubonds and .280 with Federal Premium 150 gr Nosler Partitions.  I would not hesitate to take either.

Offline newoodguy78

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 05:18:32 am »
Good choice with the .280. Not many guys around here are familiar with it but it's my personal favorite. It's been the demise of many deer and one moose. I'll be watching this thread close as I've been out to Colorado twice in pursuit of elk and came home empty handed both times. Best of luck to you and safe travels.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 07:39:35 am »
Just remember "Elk don't know how many feet a horse have". 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 09:00:51 am »
But furst ya gots ta have uh hoss.   :D

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 09:55:31 am »
Just head there via Nebraska, I'll hook you up  ;D.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 10:33:18 am »
I grew up with cattle and horses but those days are long since gone.  Actually my last real experience with horses was my first Elk hunt in Wyoming in 1973.  We rode in early and I killed a bull a bit over 10 miles from the trailhead.  We halved the animal, split it down the backbone and loaded a half on each horse skin side down with a quarter on each side.  The hoofs/stirrups were tied together beneath the horses belly.  We cut a slit in the hide for the saddle horn.  Needles to say, we walked out leading the horses.  My horse walked faster than me and kept stepping on my boot heels successfully pulling them off and destroying my boots.  It was a looong day.

That was my first Elk hunt 44 years ago and this will be my last to actually hunt.  My last, but Marty should draw an Elk license next year.  In between there have been many hunts which included Elk, Mule Deer, and Antelope.  Some trips I had no license and only guided.  I even "worked" for an Outfitter and got paid to guide some paying Elk hunters.   Some trips I was the Camp Cook.  I was always successful with Deer and Antelope, but not with Elk, but even with no actual kill, there never was a less than enjoyable trip.  I have caught many Trout and done a fair amount of Grouse shooting.  I say shooting because I plinked them out of the trees. 

There have been some setbacks like a broken axle in Vernon, TX. where we had to leave the RV and continue on in the Bronco.  A busted air bag in Denton, TX. that had to be replaced on the road.  Axle bearings that had to be replaced in Pueblo, CO.  Yup, and also a couple of speeding tickets....in TX !!!  :o   

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 11:32:07 am »
Setbacks then maybe, now good memories  ;).

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Staples Forestry
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 12:05:29 pm »
MM, sounds like you might want to stay clear of Texas!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 02:14:17 pm »
Texas is tough on outsiders especially if you are on a bike. In 93 I rode the Shovelhead to San Diego for a Raiders game. Interstate 10 all the way though Texas seemed to take weeks. Minding my own business I still manged to get pulled over a few times. No tickets but a hassle.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Staples Forestry
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 06:40:53 pm »
For the uninitiated, it is further from Orange to El Paso, then from Jacksonville to Orange.  It is a long and lonely drive from Fredericksburg to El Passo.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 09:47:46 pm »
If I remember correctly the East mile marker on Interstate 10 is 880.  That's a looong way to the West border. 

I have had the sun to rise and set on me in Texas many times.  I actually quit counting at 45 and that was several years ago.   :-\

Offline ToddsPoint

• Full Member x2
  • Stockmaker and Carver
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2017, 05:24:37 am »
My brother lived in Houston and told me on a trip from Houston to LA over half the trip is in Texas.  I didn't believe him until I checked.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2017, 02:21:21 pm »
I am gradually but steadily gathering and putting stuff in traveling order.  Among other things, last week the trailer got an axle flip, greasing, and today it got two brand new shoes.  I will start loading it out today.

We leave one week from tomorrow!  It's 23 right now in Fairplay and they got quite a bit of snow this morning.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2017, 02:47:08 pm »
I am gradually but steadily gathering and putting stuff in traveling order.  Among other things, last week the trailer got an axle flip, greasing, and today it got two brand new shoes.  I will start loading it out today.

We leave one week from tomorrow!  It's 23 right now in Fairplay and they got quite a bit of snow this morning.
What's a axle flip?
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.