The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Gave chain Turner a overhaul  (Read 2597 times)

Offline redbeard

• Senior Member x2
    • whidbeysawmill.com
Gave chain Turner a overhaul
« on: March 20, 2017, 12:15:35 am »
My B-30 aka (TK B-20) 11 years of heavy logs finally was about to fail.

The tube has worn through and has a twist in it.
Time to reinforce and straighten

Cut out the worn area that chain wore through and added some 3/4"  plate

After getting original tube straight we added 3/8" x 4" plate to sides and new sprocket shafts and grease bushings. And Now we have a industrial chain Turner once again

www.whidbeysawmill.com   06 B-20 Timberking 30hp gas.  Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill    86 F-700 boom truck    JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharpener & Setter

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
Re: Gave chain Turner a overhaul
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:27:34 am »

I had to do the same thing a few years back, looks good.. After breaking the original no 60 chain too many times, I bought 10' of 60H chain for around $30 then welded U shaped pieces of metal every 5th link.  The 60h runs for years without any troubles plus I got 2 chains out of that 10'.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline Clover

• I'm newish
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:20:40 am »
Nice job on that turner. I've got a claw turner that I've built but there are times when I'm working alone and need that third hand hold the log. I'm starting to collect parts for a chain turner and your pictures have helped a lot.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:00:29 am »

Chain turners work great and should be easy to build..  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline killamplanes

• one man band
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 11:16:20 am »
Feel free to give me ur shipping address, I will you send u mine. (Lol). I'm due for second rebuild. Good job..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Offline killamplanes

• one man band
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:18:39 am »
The drive sprocket end is like putting a puzzle together. I never like puzzles >:(
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Online Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 05:41:52 pm »

The curve part of a can't hook on the end of a cable works real good
for that.
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline coppolajc10

• Full Member x2
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 06:06:57 pm »
Nice job redbeard!

Offline Clover

• I'm newish
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 10:57:14 pm »
I think we need to start a chain turner subject. One with pictures of turners, from being built to installed, with everything in between
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Offline FloridaMike

• I'm new!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:31:52 pm »
Great rebuild!  Pics are a great resource!  Good idea on the chain turner page Clover. 

I'm in the early stages of designing and building my two.  I am thinking of running a common 1.5" shaft to turn the bottom sprockets and serve as the pivot point for both chain turners, driven by one high torque hyd. motor (direct driven from one of the ends of the common 8' shaft).  There would be independent hyd. cylinders to raise and lower each arm separately.  I plan to run #80 chain with #80 SK-1 Attachment Connecting Links installed every 5 to 6 links, with welded solid stock bridging the uprights.

Is there any reason the above setup wouldn't work well?  Maybe someone is already building a similar set up.   
Mike

Offline Clover

• I'm newish
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:12 pm »
Floridamike #80 chain is pretty heavy duty stuff. What about 60 or 60H? Am I understanding your post that the turners would be 8' apart? What would the requirement for that be?
I have a claw turner that can lift a house but sometimes I need an extra hand beside it to turn or hold the log for final positioning. Two turners close together could do the same thing as what I'm looking for. Although both chain would need to be independent of each other.

Offline FloridaMike

• I'm new!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 11:55:27 pm »
I'm thinking two turner arms would be better for longer logs.  At 8' apart, any point on a 24' log would be within 8' of a turner.  The arms would move up or down independently of each other, so one or both could be used as an additional holder/clamp.  Only the rotation of the chain's would be siamesed together. 
Mike

Online Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 01:55:10 am »
What about Agg chain for hay elevators ?
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 06:01:46 am »

60h lasts way better than 60.  If building one I'd go with the 80 but 60h would work.  Steve

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 06:44:28 am »
Nice job on the rebuild redbeard.  Looks good as new.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 07:25:50 am »

The curve part of a can't hook on the end of a cable works real good
for that.

After being spoiled be a chain turner, no way.  Steve

Offline JB Griffin

• sawn 1.2 million bdft and counting on Baker sawmil
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 07:48:10 pm »
If I was building one I would use 100 or 120 with lugs welded to every 3rd or 5th link.  And I might just do that to replace the joke that woodmizer calls a turner along with the hyd. feed upgrade and 6-10 gpm pump and pony motor, vertical backstops and on and on.
2000 LT40HYDD33-RA, '70's era 2500, '96 F-250 7.3 PSD 4x4, 350 Husky, CS-590 Echo

1.2 million bdft sawn with a Baker mill and counting.

Online Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 08:44:06 pm »
You don't need to be welding lugs on your chain.
There is many different kind of lugs that can be bought
that hook right on the chain.  Sample....

I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill

Offline Clover

• I'm newish
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 09:34:37 pm »
Kbeitz with that link you would have to use a chain breaker and break the chain every 4 or 5 links and add that in. You can buy the whole chain already made up with those links. But if you went with an 80 or bigger link you could weld right to it and probably a lot cheaper. I was thinking of welding schedule 80 pipe cut about 3/4" thick and cut again into a C shape.

Offline FloridaMike

• I'm new!
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 11:52:20 pm »
Cost is the biggest factor in going above #80 chain size.  You can rebuild a #80 turner 4 or 5 times over for the cost of the #100/120 components.  I do think you can weld lugs directly to #80 or larger chain side plates, but I'm guessing solid square lugs will work better than half round pipe lugs.

For my low volume mill, I am going to roll the dice with a #80 chain/sprocket size.
Mike