The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Ft. Myers Florida  (Read 580 times)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
Ft. Myers Florida
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:54:58 pm »
Haven't been back to the Southwest coast of Florida since my wife passed away in 2010.  My son was 6 at the time and remembers this odd house we stayed in for 2 weeks on Manasota Key.  He's been wanting to go back now for the last year or so.  I just booked flights to hit Florida and then lower N.Y. for a wedding in August.  After that, I was going through VBRO looking at condos, cottages and houses to rent on Sanibel Island.  We've stayed there twice and twice on Manasota Key.  So I spot the first place we stayed on Sanibel.  Rent is going for $109 a night now for a studio made from half a cottage.  So so reviews - the place is clean but very tiny.  The place has two buildings so 4 studios of various sizes.  The most expensive was like $139.

I rented a place a few miles away that is right on the beach mid-island where the beaches are nicer.  Then I go on Expedia to rent a car.  I flip through all of them and find a pretty good deal and book it.  After I'm done, Expedia pops up and says here are some special deals on places to stay.  What do I see?  Three of the 4 studios mentioned above with a red warning on each listing - LAST ONE LEFT (duh, there is only one of each) and a "special" price of $260/night each for two of them and $300 on the third! 

If I hadn't already researched car rental prices, I would be doubting that Expedia got me a decent price on the car rental I reserved!  They have a little note - Lowest Price Guarantee! What a scam!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline florida

Re: Ft. Myers Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:23:00 am »
John,

Just noticed your post. I'm in Fort Myers and out on Sanibel several times a week. Give me a shout while you're there and I'll buy you and your son lunch.
General contractor and carpenter for 40 years.

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:02:49 pm »
I have been to Sanibel Island many times but always stayed on the main land.  A few times we were in a motor home and towed a jeep . It was usually February after Daytona 500. Good times very relaxing.
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 12:39:53 am »
John,

Just noticed your post. I'm in Fort Myers and out on Sanibel several times a week. Give me a shout while you're there and I'll buy you and your son lunch.
That'd be nice.  We are going to be there for the first 7 days of August.

My daughter (26) and her boyfriend (Sam) are coming along, too.  Both my kids get sea sick so Sam and I plan to head out for some snapper or something one morning.  So you fish?  You could join us on a party boat.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.