The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Neighbor problems  (Read 2897 times)

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
Re: Neighbor problems
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 07:25:13 am »

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 07:52:01 am »
Is there anything on the other side of the road it could hit?  Powerlines, fences, etc.  If not it looks pretty straightforward unless the base is rotten.  Looks like it should clear the mailboxes. 

I'm not very familiar with pine, but if this were in my neck of the woods, I wouldn't call anyone either.  Make sure there are multiple clear exit paths (looks like there already are) and don't let anyone behind the tree in line with the direction of the fall. 

Side notes, I would probably drop that lower big lower limb before felling just because it's easier and then it's out of the way (unless it's aimed at the mailboxes).

Also, dead limbs can crack and fly when they impact the ground.  Keep watchers back a bit more than if it were green.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline MbfVA

• I'm new but the shine is fading...
    • Tanglewood Ordinary Country Restaurant
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 08:12:20 am »
 I appreciate all the suggestions.  Coxy's  post reminds me of the executioner's song in the Mikado--There'd only some of them be missed.

Part of my concern about this comes from an accident my brother-in-law had on a farm he managed in eastern Virginia. He only bumped a tree not unlike this one with his tractor and wound up in the hospital with 10 or more broken bones in his left shoulder,  missed his head by a few inches.   Live trees I can almost figure out, but dead ones....
www.ordinary.com (really); Jim
Always learning & questioning authority
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo w/ 5' slabber
Dougherty RS3000 Tree Saw
Liebherr 621C, Bobcat A300, 430
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Polaris 4 seater, JD old gator
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...
Did I mention, a very small bank account?

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 10:23:47 am »
Standing dead definitely progress faster with less notice.  We cut a lot of standing dead trees for firewood as it's already mostly seasoned on the stump.   ;D

If in doubt, we'll tie a chain or rope as high as we can, make an opening cut to "soften it up", vacate, then pull it over with the tractor.  Have a couple lightning struck oaks we need to do this to that have rotten cores for 15' with live wood on one half and nothing on the other half.   ;D

Only time I've ever had a close call was when I was being cocky.  Had a 12-14" oak snag (no limbs left) with a slight lean and probably 25-30' tall in a mixed age stand.  Since I knew exactly where it was going, I thought I would stand right by the stump and watch it fall for once.  (Normally I always vacate as soon as it's going over.)  DanG thing was rotten in the middle half way up, hit a 4" branch in another tree, broke in two, and the top half was coming right at me.  Did not have time to get out of the way.  Had just enough time to kill the saw and but got lucky and only ended up with a big bruise on my ankle and only from the bounce after it hit the ground.  Learned my lesson real well that day on the difference between confident and cocky.    ::)
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 01:20:06 pm »
know the feeling when I was about 19-20 I was working by self (so I thought ) cut a tree and it got snagged in a birch about 10-12in walked over under the snag and cut the birch every thing went fine till I got over to the skidder(we use a fiber glass driveway marker for a measuring stick)and my dad was standing there he hit me in the ars with that piece of fiber glass stick talk about sting I think I would have rather got hit by the tree we said a few words to one another but I never did that again cause I never new if he was going to be there watching  ;D