The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: DanG Laptop  (Read 3554 times)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
Re: DanG Laptop
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2016, 03:35:47 pm »
I,us,never could get the 2 finger scroll with the wife's laptop. This was 5-6-7 years ago. We just was not forced to do it. A simple plug for one of the ports in the side and a mouse did it for us.
I have no idea what is out there now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline clearcut

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 03:40:08 pm »
There are a number of useful "gestures" for controlling modern touchpads:

Scroll: Place two fingers on the touchpad and slide horizontally or vertically.
Zoom in or out: Place two fingers on the touchpad and pinch in or stretch out.
Right-click: Tap the touchpad with two fingers, or press in the lower-right corner.
Drag windows: Double-tap and drag the menu bar (top of app window)
See all open windows: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe them away from you.
Show Task view: If you're viewing all open windows (from the step above), swipe up again with three fingers.
Show the desktop: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe them towards yourself.
Switch between open windows: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe right or left.
Cortana/Action Center: Tap the touchpad with three fingers.

Many of these can be set in Touchpad Settings, or from the Touchpad's manufacture control panel (Synaptics is a common manufacturer)

Though I think my most common "gesture" towards Windows 10 is the 1 finger salute. :o

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2016, 05:32:26 pm »
So far (and with clearcut's help) I think that I am doing quite well.  Bookmark/Favorites are done, but I have not ejected McAffee yet.  There is no real rush because I can keep it for a year.  I also have to move MalWarebytes Pro (or whatever it is) to this laptop but I will have to find my key number, etc.  Last time I had to contact them for the OK.

The only issue that is still bugging me is moving that Reload/Refresh button to the left so that it will be beside the left & right arrows.  I did it on both the dead laptop and also on the still working laptop so I know that it can be done, I just do not recall how.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2016, 06:47:50 pm »
I did it!!

I put me some "Flexible Space" in that area which allowed me to move the Firefox Refresh icon into that space beside the left arrow. 

I also have my old standby photo resizer installed so I can zip through uploading pictures into my FF Gallery.

A few more tweaks and it will feel like it is mine.  This old Fart is on a roll.   8)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2016, 10:15:44 pm »
Good news!  You're a tenacious "old Fart" aren't ya?  ;)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2016, 09:11:01 am »
OK, I am gonna like this new little laptop.  I intentionally a wanted one that was only 14".  The surprise was how thin and light it is, and also no heat.  There is not even a cooling fan.  There is also no disc drive.

With the Win10 shell and the Traditional Firefox, everything is exactly (well almost) like I am accustomed to.  The two finger drag will/is taking some practice.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2016, 03:56:23 pm »
Yea, I got rid of the touchpad tap and turned my scroll direction around.  The different options are all in there, it just takes finding them and clicking the right button. 

Speaking of buttons, I accidentally turned off my "mouse" buttons.  Think about that mess.  I could move the arrow, but I could not click on anything, even the option to turn the buttons back on.  Thankfully I had a wireless USB mouse that I plugged up and used to turn my buttons back on.   ::)

Hopefully this journey will help someone else or at least let them know that them smart people ain't the only smart people especially when you have this FF following along and offering pointers.   smiley_thumbsup

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2016, 08:39:55 pm »
I downloaded Libreoffice, but Microsoft did not go down without a fight.  It slung everything that it had at me to try to prevent/discourage the download.  I will now try to open a saved Excel file from the other laptop and see what happens.

I also got the printer hitched up this evening so hopefully I will soon get this thing tuned up.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2016, 08:58:16 am »
I spent probably a couple of hours last night deleting and uninstalling Trojans and other stuff that had crept in while I was installing and downloading what I need.  Some of them did not go down without a fight either. 

Malwarebytes is a lifesaver and I should have installed it immediately after the first boot up.

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2016, 10:21:06 am »
We went through the laptop replacement not to long ago.   Our 8 year old Dell Inspiron went belly up.    I was able to back up all the data from the old one which was good and we didn't lose anything.   

The Dell Inspiron series are fairly reliable and rugged laptops, so we stuck with them for the replacement.   And, for the record I think Windows 10 is the best operating System to come out of Microsoft.   We have 2 laptops, 3 desktops and one of the new HP systems with the computer built into the monitor and they all work great with Windows 10.   The 3 desktops were upgraded.  One from Windows 8 which sucked.  The other 2 desktops and the 2 laptops were from Windows 7.   Upgrades went flawless and it really didn't take much time to do it except on my one machine.   It has some unique hardware and I use a non-standard directory path for saving data that Windows has a minor issue with. 

Now tablets and Android operating systems, which I'm using now are a different beast........
Hidden Acres Farm
I got a shotgun, a shovel backhoe and 57 acres!

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2016, 10:48:33 pm »
I am getting comfortable with Win10, but I cheated and download the shell.  Thankfully I have been using two laptops for several years and each are loaded the same and with virtually the same programs and files.  I say virtually because only one has Excel & Word.  I'll soon make a test run and see if I can move the Excel files to Libre.  I thought that I had unsuccessfully tried it in the past but as they say, I have slept since then.

I am enjoying this new one because it is so small, light, and no heat.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2016, 07:01:47 pm »
OK, what to do with two crapped out laptops??

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2016, 03:08:51 am »
What's died on them?

Common problems are dead hard disks, blocked up cooling fins on the heat sinks, or just corrupted installations of Windows (virus and other malware)

Depending on what's wrong you can ofter get them going again, or at least salvage the Ram and Hard disk to fix another machine.

If you can get one going I'd use it to play with Linux, just cos you can.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2016, 06:36:38 am »
OK, what to do with two crapped out laptops??

I have found that because of changes in technology, they are just about worthless.   Replacement hard drives are expensive and usually harder to find since technology has advanced.   Usually older one also are in need of battery replacements which are very expensive.   You can quickly have more cost in parts than a new laptop cost.    They are also slower and much of the new software will not run on them.

Clean them up, install an old operating system and a few games and give them to the grandkids.   ;D
Hidden Acres Farm
I got a shotgun, a shovel backhoe and 57 acres!

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2016, 08:52:36 pm »
My two spreadsheet are now on the new laptop.  I was able to copy the Excel files to an SD and then paste the files into Libre on the new laptop.   8)

Happy, Happy, Happy.   :)

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2016, 09:47:56 am »
Reading this thread makes my hair hurt.
I ungraded to windows 10 and went back to 7.
Old dog no new tricks.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2016, 08:24:41 am »
@Jeff slight problem.  Something on my "Sound" is either turned off or not enabled on this laptop.  I can listen to videos on the web fine, but the sound in links to videos here on the FF is somehow blocked or not enabled.  Actually, I do not know if the video sound here on the FF has ever worked on this new laptop. 

I watched the same video on the other laptop and the sound was OK so it is a setting somewhere.

OK, I can click on the YouTube icon in the lower right of the video and get sound.