The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: DanG Laptop  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
Re: DanG Laptop
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 08:03:53 am »
I did not have Word & Excel on the dead HP laptop so I loaded Libre Office.  It worked fine but I never could move an Excel file to it.  I dunno, but it is a mute point now.  I would feel much more secure if both laptops had the same program so can open or duplicate my spreadsheets.  I surely would hate to have to rebuild all of those formulas again.

I am looking at a 14" Dell and I saw last night where MS Office 2010 was available online for ~ $70 and they said that it would work with Win10.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • SEWA-Darts.com
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 08:33:24 am »
Try Open Office.  I find it reads the MS files just fine.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL

Offline clearcut

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2016, 11:00:40 am »
OpenOffice is having trouble attracting developers and is considering retiring the project.

In particular, security vulnerabilities are taking a long time to be addressed.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/09/openoffice-after-years-of-neglect-could-shut-down/

In LibreOffice you can just use File / Open to import Excel files. Or right click and select Open With / LibreOffice.

An advantage to using Google Sheets which also can open Excel files is that your spreadsheets are automatically backed up.

Lots of choices.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 04:04:44 pm »
I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 14 3000, which was $229 and free shipping.  I'll deal with the spreadsheet when it gets here but I surely was not about to pay Dell another $229 for Office.  If I can get the Libre Office to work it would simplify everything, plus free.

I hate to even think about the boot/startup procedure.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • SEWA-Darts.com
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 01:10:07 pm »
Boot/Startup for Linux?  It's easy ;)

Or did you mean something else?

I'll admit, Linux isn't for everyone (don't pounce on me Penguin users!) as software installation isn't always the easiest (and how easy in my experience depends on versions used -- ie.e Debian vs RedHat vs SuSe etc)...but install is easy, bootup is easy, it comes with most of what you need (if not all) and never seems to crash ;)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 01:33:30 pm »
I hate to even think about the boot/startup procedure.   :-\
They seem to come empty and spend hours loading and updating stuff.  After that I will need to transfer all of my bookmarks.  I have done it before but who remembers such stuff?  I am sure that I can Google and find an easy way.

Offline Czech_Made

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 02:10:01 pm »
Boot/Startup for Linux?  It's easy ;)

Or did you mean something else?

I'll admit, Linux isn't for everyone (don't pounce on me Penguin users!) as software installation isn't always the easiest (and how easy in my experience depends on versions used -- ie.e Debian vs RedHat vs SuSe etc)...but install is easy, bootup is easy, it comes with most of what you need (if not all) and never seems to crash ;)

+1 on Linux.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 02:26:32 pm »
I Googled Linus and all I got was confused  smiley_dizzy :

Technically, Linux is not an operating system. The Linux kernel, originally written by Linus Torvalds, is open source software that forms the basis for all Linux distributions.The kernel is the base layer of code that communicates down to the hardware and up to software packages that need access to the hardware. A Linux distribution combines the Linux kernel with additional software, including package managers, libraries and system tools, and user-level applications. Although most Linux distros include windowing systems and managers, some lightweight distributions contain only command-line interfaces, or CLI, as their desktop environments.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 04:09:31 pm »
I'd say Linux is not JUST an operating system.

The common distributions come with all sorts of open source software bundled in them already, for whatever the intended use is.

So if you pick a popular Desktop version like Mint it's set up to run as a regular desktop computer, very much like Windows. It will have Firefox web browser, Libre Office, a media player and all the normal desktop utilities you might need all ready to go. It's so simply you can actually run the whole system off a USB thumb drive without even installing it, and look so much like Windows that pretty much any user can find their way around it, often easier than with the different versions of Windows.

Other versions are more aimed towards acting as web servers, Internet firewalls, database servers etc. The majority of Internet is running on Linux of various flavors.

But if you just need a computer to use NOW, you just go and buy a new laptop and if has Windows pre-installed.

I'd leave Linux for a rainy day and an old PC that you want to have a play with.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • SEWA-Darts.com
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2016, 08:43:59 am »
I have Ubuntu on my old laptop (cabin laptop) and it was a very easy install (one reboot if that and done).  If you might want to try it, go to Ubuntu and download the file to burn onto a CD Rom (if you know how to do that?) and then boot off the CD Room (I can tell you how to do that too)....or try SuSe and use a USB drive but I think Ubuntu is better on laptops (or used to be).

By definition an 'operating system' is just what you described ;)  It's software that lets the hardware operate for the user.  Technically a 'DOS' is any hardware that operates the disk drive.  WinDoze is much like 'x-windose' in that it is just a GUI that interfaces with the DOS to allow the user to well, use the computer.  Windoze has a kernel too ;)  It's just not as good as Linux

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 09:03:08 pm »
The new laptop came while I was away sawing.  Oh my, I hate getting it setup.   :-\

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 09:57:48 am »
I seem to be going in circles.  I have not figured out a (simple) way to move my Firefox Favorites to the new laptop.   :-\

Offline clearcut

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 10:14:48 am »
I found this recent link to three methods, maybe one will work for you.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1137082

Offline Czech_Made

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 10:47:08 am »
I seem to be going in circles.  I have not figured out a (simple) way to move my Firefox Favorites to the new laptop.   :-\

Show All Bookmarks, Import and Backup, Export Bookmarks to HTML - to get old ones  out

and reverse the process to get them back.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2016, 11:53:00 am »
Thanks all, I had already digested most of that, but I got sidetracked and am running a different rabbit right now.   Gotta figure out how to move/add my Reload/Refresh button to the left so that it will be beside the left & right arrows??   smiley_headscratch

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2016, 12:00:22 pm »
I ain't believing that this touchpad will not scroll.  I know that I bought cheap, but I never figured that they even made them without the scroll.  Of course PgUp/PgDn work, but it's certainly not what I am accustomed to doing.   :-\

Offline clearcut

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2016, 01:26:28 pm »
Are you using 2 fingers for scrolling? 
Is scrolling turned off in trackpad settings?

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2016, 02:01:54 pm »
Are you using 2 fingers for scrolling? 
I am now, but how the heck was I supposed to know that?  Thanks!!     :)

Now I gotta figure out how to move/add my Reload/Refresh button to the left so that it will be beside the left & right arrows??   That plus killing this McAffee.   ::)

I think that I have everything else in my Firefox/Addons done plus the Win10 shell. 

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2016, 02:51:25 pm »
The two fingers move the page instead of the the slider on the right which is a bit backwards from what I am used to, but it is OK.  I looked in the mouse/touchpad options but did not see any way to reverse it.  Actually I guess that it makes more sense anyway.  I am happy.   ;)

Online breederman

• Senior Member x2
  • getting by the best way I know how
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2016, 03:08:28 pm »
The things you learn here ! :) I havent been able to scroll since I bought this toshiba .
Together we got this !