The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: How to get wood for turning from fallen trees  (Read 1196 times)

Offline samadhavan

• Member*
  • I'm new!
How to get wood for turning from fallen trees
« on: August 20, 2016, 04:31:11 pm »
I am a turner in Toledo, OH. I recently moved there, and am looking for wood sources, especially hard maple, Bradford pear, holly, box elder, etc for making platters and vases. I am searching for 9-10 inch square by 2 inch pieces. Any help will be appreciated.

Offline JohnW

• Full Member x2
Re: How to get wood for turning from fallen trees
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 05:39:00 pm »
Since you're asking, you must not have a chainsaw and trees.  I'd say contact a wood turners club, or individual wood turners.  They're all over the place.  Second choice would be saw mills and firewood sellers, and ask for a favor.  I hope this could be of some help, and let me be the first to say welcome to the forum.

Offline low_48

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 11:45:17 pm »
Sorry for a late reply, but call tree services. Tell them what you are looking for, and negotiate the costs for sections of logs to be dropped in your drive. Buy a chainsaw, you're going to need one sooner or latter. I've been turning for 31 years. Once you get a good relationship with a tree service, you're home free. Always give them a free bowl from each batch of wood delivered, and a bag of ornaments at Christmas. After that you will have all the free wood you ever wanted. Hopefully!

Offline Bob Howell

• I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:19:58 pm »
I have been scrounging wood for bowls for 25 years. I listen for a chainsaw and go check it out. I know many of the tree men around here now. They know what is prized here now.

I had a great day splitting wood for Windsor chairs long ago. The next day I woke up feeling UNCOMFORTBLE. Hemorrhoids!! You can hurt yourself. I pay for the wood to be cut into small pieces.

95% of the wood seems to be pine or oak but maple is what I look for here. Find a turning club near you. That's where I learned how to find wood.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:34:55 pm »
Id walk up to whoever i saw in the next log truck and ask about big block cutoffs from the bucking site.  In mature hardwood logging you tend to skid to a landing and buck whole stems into saleable length logs then load them out.  That means trimming back double hearts on the small end where the crown forked, into single hearts which leaves a foot or two of a crotched chunk of stem.  Theyre hard as a rock, therefore difficult to split, and weigh a ton.  Even i leave them there, and i sell firewood.  Just not worth my effort for a few pieces. But theres some beautiful figure in there to be revealed.  Itd be a rare logger who didnt say yes please, come clean them up for me.