The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Looking for Someone to Mill a Tree in St. Louis  (Read 582 times)

Offline StephenMusial

• I'm new!
Looking for Someone to Mill a Tree in St. Louis
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:14:30 am »
Hi,

I've come into possession of a White Oak tree about 300 years old.  I'm needing someone to mill it for me.  Anyone interested? 

It's about 5' diameter and spreads to about 8' at the crotches.  I just need the main trunk and crotches slabbed.  I have someone with a Woodmizer who will do the larger branches (unless you want to do everything)

Below are some of pictures of the tree as it was being cleared off the street and as it sits today.

It's in Webster Groves, MO (St. Louis)

If you're interested, leave a message or you can email me directly at info@musial.ws

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
Re: Looking for Someone to Mill a Tree in St. Louis
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:15:39 am »
I have someone with a Woodmizer who will do the larger branches
Hello Stephen and Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

Just as a pointer, limbs usually so not saw out very well.  Look and you will usually see that the heart is off center because they spend their lifetime bearing a horizontal load.  As you begin sawing this stress is released and the boards will begin to lift, curl, or shift sideways.  The lumber can behave like unruly fourth graders.  :-\

Prepare for much chainsaw work breaking that trunk down.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline StephenMusial

• I'm new!
Re: Looking for Someone to Mill a Tree in St. Louis
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:47:28 pm »
Thank you for the advice.  These are anywhere from 24-32" branches and the heart seems to be generally centered so I'm hoping for the best... 

I've talked with a guy with a Lucas mill which can handle the 5' trunk but he wants to do it for some of the wood but is afraid that the core core of the tree could be rotted and he will be out the time and the wood so I'm just trying to line up other options.  I'll be buying a bigger chainsaw but the most I can do right now is a 26" Stihl which won't quite go all the way through but I have my wife's great grandfather's 2 man saw to finish the cut if necessary so we can see what the inside looks like.