The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: 82nd annual Fla. FFA Forestry Camp  (Read 618 times)

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
82nd annual Fla. FFA Forestry Camp
« on: July 15, 2016, 02:58:43 pm »
Several students and FFA advisors have been at Florida's 82nd annual FFA Forestry Camp, which has been held at O'Leno State Park since its inception.  Rangers and foresters instructed the students on topics such as dendrology, timber cruising, map interpretation, bugs, disease and rot, compass and pacing, general knowledge, hydrology, BMP's, tools, fire, forest products, and probably a few that I have omitted. 

How was it?  The Santa Fe River was open to swimming.  This always makes camp more tolerable.  Some years the bacteria levels in the water are too high and swimming is prohibited and other years the flow rate is too high to safely swim.  After spending several hours in the humidity and heat, the coolness of the river provides relief.   There is no conditioned air at forestry camp.  The FFA members continued a tradition that began in 1934.  Many of these students will compete in the FFA Forestry CDE (career development event) this fall.  The first day or two without mommy and air conditioning were tough on a few of the campers but this group really benefitted from the experience. 

The campers found active southern pine beetle sites, climbed a fire tower, cruised longleaf pine, participated in competitive team events, and a host of other activities.  They were able to meet other youth from around the state who have similar interests and were able to be immersed in forestry education and issues.  Yesterday evening a banquet was held and awards were presented.  This morning the students headed home.
Caveman

Kathleen FFA members at Forestry Camp
Caveman

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: 82nd annual Fla. FFA Forestry Camp
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:02:13 pm »
I am sure that they really enjoyed the experience.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline dchiapin

• TK B-20
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 01:10:12 pm »
I went in 1963.
Wonder if it influenced me in my decision to start a native plant nursery and of course my purchase of a TK B-20.
Bet it did have a lot of influence  ???

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 12:23:46 pm »
A great experience for young people.
~Ron