The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: My cancer journey  (Read 19319 times)

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
Re: My cancer journey
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2017, 08:36:33 am »
Ed, if Cowboy Bob can learn to use an iphone, you can learn that tablet.   :D  I have confidence in you. 
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2017, 12:19:19 pm »
 I had an awful hard time coming to grips with the desk top. Putters are not my strong suit. But I think I'd go nuts if I can't check in on the FF.
 As far as going fast 72 ford mavric 302 4 speed at 135 racing a heavy chevy out of Portsmouth, N.H. Ya I got caught  :D . $300 and 6 months loss of lic. Can't do that now a days  ;D .
Ed K

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2017, 12:35:25 pm »
 8) :D :D :D That's fast.
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2017, 03:07:36 pm »
 :D :D I was talking to a retired RCMP officer who had served in the local detachment. He asked me if I was one of those he used to run in on a Saturday night. I said no but I gave you plenty of opportunity. I liked speed too. ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2017, 10:16:12 am »
 Friday the 24th, we went to the oncology dept. here at home and got the chemo injection to start the cell harvest. Since then Rita has been giving me shots to make the good cells come out of the bone marrow.
 Tomorrow we go the Dartmouth to start the harvest. They say if they can get 5 million cells first day it would be great, but it could take 2, or 3 days if they have a hard time with getting a place in each arm to do it. If it don't work they will put a catheter in my shoulder to get blood.
 With this chemo injection, it's supposed to tell the bone marrow that something is attacking my system and make more cells to fight it.
 Well they only mentioned that I would have pain in my back, joints and large bones. Wow  :o :( this pain is worse than when I ruptured my L4-L5 disk. We called them back yesterday morning to hear, it only last 24 hrs.  >:( . It started Fri.630pm and has finally slowed this morning.
 I still have pain but I can at least sit and make it go away. Pain meds dulled it some but I don't know how it'll be riding up to Lebanon, N. H. to stay over night tonight. Thought it better than trying to drive up at 5 am to be there for 7:30 am. there's a half way house we can stay in.
Ed K

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
« Reply #225 on: March 06, 2017, 08:17:28 am »
   Ed there are folks reading this thread of your journey/struggle that will have to travel this same road, they just don't know it yet. How you have delt with it is nothing short of inspirational.  Good luck my friend.. GIVER   :)

Online gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #226 on: March 06, 2017, 09:07:36 am »
stephen......
Ed there are folks reading this thread of your journey/struggle that will have to travel this same road, they just don't know it yet. How you have delt with it is nothing short of inspirational.  Good luck my friend.. GIVER   
x2
gww

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #227 on: March 06, 2017, 10:30:34 am »
Good luck Ed
Will be thinking of you
Bruno
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #228 on: March 08, 2017, 08:30:04 am »
 We made it up OK. Stayed at a place called Maynard house. It works with the hospital for people who need a place to stay while loved one's are hospitalized or waiting for admission to the hospital. They charge $25.00 per person per night.
 We got admitted at 7:30 am  and by 9 had me all hooked up to the machine. They are very good with getting the needles in. The machine is like a clarifyer,it spins the blood and separate the cells good from bad. It also takes some platelets out too.
 It needs 5 million cells to save for implant. They said it would take one to three day's to complete this. Rita Say's I'm fertilizer in the field ☺. They had enough cells in three hour's to freeze.So we were on our  way home by 3.
 The chemotherapy iv plus the shots for ten days really  got to me ,  as I said in my last post, there was a lot of pain involved. The pain  was due to cells being pushed out of the bone marrow. I need to stress this as it is a good pain for once, it tells you it's working. All tho you think your having a heart attack. Your lower back and into your chest will scare you crazy. I found that I could sit in the recliner just so the pain  would subside some and you can sleep that way.
 We have another meeting next Thursday for more explanations and sign a consent form for the transplant. Then go back on the 22nd to do it. This takes up to four weeks. The first two weeks are critical, as I won't have any immune  cells and it is real easy to get sick. So that's it for now.
 Thanks to everyone for keeping up with my story.
Ed K

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2017, 03:16:48 pm »
A great story for sure! Great endurance on your part.
~Ron

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #230 on: March 08, 2017, 03:39:05 pm »
Stay put and stay well.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #231 on: March 08, 2017, 06:18:12 pm »
You keep posting and I'll keep reading.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #232 on: March 08, 2017, 10:36:53 pm »
Hang in there Ed, you're an inspiration! Praying for you!
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #233 on: March 09, 2017, 01:24:52 pm »
And Thank You Ed for keeping us in your loop.  Mt prayers will continue for your full and complete recovery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #234 on: March 17, 2017, 08:01:42 pm »
 Yesterday we went back up at noon and spent the afternoon going over what they will be doing. Next Wednesday we start the day by putting in a catheter in my right side just below my neck, they will use this to put in the saline, large dose of chemo, blood transfusions and stem cells.
 Two day's after the chemo they will put my stem cell's back in. Then we wait for the cell's to start growing.
 They said that usually they send the patient home in 14 day's. 100 day's at home for recuperating. The first 4 week's I have to go back for checkups. The first week home I'll be the weakest. Then better each week afterwards.
 This whole thing is unbelievable. I went to this hospital 22 year's ago, I couldn't walk from a blown disk, I got from tipping over backwards on a four wheeler dragging a log home for cordwood. They had  me up and walking two day's later, a miracle, I believe. Now I'm there again looking for another.
 Oh, you do lose your hair 😂.
Ed K

Online gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #235 on: March 17, 2017, 08:56:30 pm »
Hey ed
Hair is over rated anyway.  Wishing you the best.
gww

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2017, 06:13:28 am »
 smiley_thumbsup
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #237 on: March 18, 2017, 06:26:04 am »
Spend time thinking about the things you will do when you get up and going again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline plantman

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #238 on: March 18, 2017, 08:08:50 am »
I've heard remarkable things about immunotherapy. Immunotherapy is essentially stimulating your own immune system to fight the cancer so it's not going to make you feel worse. Sometimes doctors simply prescribe what they have to offer and don't bring up other therapies that are offered at hospitals outside of the area. President Jimmy Carter received immunotherapy and is doing well.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2017, 05:02:22 pm »
You are tough
You will kick this
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools