The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Watcha Growing  (Read 7101 times)

Offline ppine

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: Watcha Growing
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 11:10:22 am »
I like silviculture.  Our growing season here is 90 days.  After growing gardens in places like western WA, it seems like a waste of time here in Nevada. What I grow are trees like sequoia, ppines, Austrian pine, aspen, Oregon ash, crab apples, ornamental pear, golden locust, silver maple, ornamental plum, hawthorne, squaw bush, currants, Arctic willow, cottonwoods, western white pine, incense cedar,  and Rocky Mtn junipers.  I like to prune them, water them and fertilize them once in awhile.  With the wet spring some of the conifers have one foot candles on them this year.
Forester

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 04:07:42 pm »
21, looking good! It's a great year for gardens in the northeast, as long as you can supply water. No tomatoes yet for me, my early corn is about a week out.

Thanks with the current drought my wife & I each spend at least 1 hour a day watering. Every week  we get about 5 minutes of rain and high winds that are of little help. I hope my well holds out for a couple of more weeks. The good thing is every day is sunny. We planted 100 day corn so it will be a while for ours. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 08:54:12 am »
One of the joys of gardening. We had about 2 dozen of our first 12 ounce and up plum tomatoes that were just about ripe yesterday. Went out to pick them this morning and each one had a bite taken out of it by a skunk. Going to set the have-a-heart trap tonight and am wondering the best way to release one if it is caught. Is it better to let them back out or go foward?  electricuted-smiley
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline 69bronco

• Location: Upstate New York when it's warm, southwest Fl when it's cold!
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 09:07:35 am »
Phew, glad I don't have skunk issues (knock on wood). I have caught a "phew" as by catch, walk up slowly with an old blanket or something and put it over trap leaving the door end open. When it comes out, the direction will be his choosing.  smiley_airfreshener
Lt 25, New Holland 555e backhoe, Ford 2120 and a sore back

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 09:18:23 pm »
Try to teach him to swim.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2016, 11:29:07 pm »
better keep that quiet it is against  the law to  catch and release skunks to a different place  in NY  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2016, 07:01:31 am »
better keep that quiet it is against  the law to  catch and release skunks to a different place  in NY  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Turned out to be a squirrel.  Caught him munching. Never knew they liked tomatoes. Phew that was a relief. We were going to call animal control if we caught  a skunk. Saw a beautiful  red fox walk through the yard,  that should help controlling the critters.  :)

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • PC Specialties
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2016, 05:47:32 pm »
Patti has six raised beds. Every year she leaves one fallow to compost kitchen scraps. As usual, the other five look great but she has to water them almost every night. No ripe tomatoes yet but her plants are loaded with green tomatoes which are growing fast.

Offline ppine

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2016, 10:26:02 am »
21incher,
Would it make sense to install a drip system and save yourself all of that time watering?
Forester

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 12:40:00 pm »
21incher,
Would it make sense to install a drip system and save yourself all of that time watering?

I don't think so. We usually can go the whole season without watering once. Hopefully it will not get this dry again so I really do not want to spend alot of money installing tubing. We use watering cans that allow  us to target the plants just like a drip system, and we usually find some weeds to pull at the same time. I am celebrating today because we got .17 inches of rain this morning. :)

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 02:59:02 pm »
Started picking beans yesterday. Been canning and pickling for the last 3 weeks. My wife has a freezer 1/2 full of zucchini bread, zucchini cakes, And fried eggplant.  digin1

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2016, 09:05:02 pm »
Here is what my garden looks like now. Never had plants grow this big before. :)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2016, 05:59:55 am »
I spend time watering with a can,peppers and tomatoes. I fertilizer them at the same time. Tomatoes I may not use so much fertilizer,but feel the peppers need all the help they can get with my short growing season.Peppers are not doing as good as in past years. Most years I pick them just about like tomatoes,alot of them. I did a shallow trench and plant the cukes in it. I lay the hose at the start of it and turn it on and come back in 15-20 minutes and the trench is full. Celery I do the same thing.
Some of her herb beds are looking dry. Most years I don't water them much,I should be watering them more than what I have. As I say,it's on the list.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline 69bronco

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2016, 04:00:28 pm »
Been a good year for onions.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2016, 04:33:03 pm »
They look good. I skipped onions this year, but everything else has been fantastic. I have to admit that I just go to the public market in the fall and buy my onions and potatoes anymore for about $10.00 for a 50 lb bag of each right from local farms. :)

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2016, 10:38:07 pm »
what is the best way to keep onions all winter if I try they end up as mush and rotten

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 07:31:39 am »
what is the best way to keep onions all winter if I try they end up as mush and rotten
I put mine in plastic baskets with ventilation holes in my root cellar and they will last all winter. Try and keep the temp in the 40's. Make sure that they are hardended off and there are no wet spots on any of them when you put them away. Then about once a month I will check for any that may be getting soft.  Cooking onions will last the longest and the large sweet ones should be used first. Also be carefull what you store near each other.  Some veggies can out gas gasses that cause others to spoil faster. :)

Offline 69bronco

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 07:45:19 am »
You have to keep them cool- 30-40. As 21 said, the sweeter the onion the shorter the storage life.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2016, 06:53:49 pm »
I just picked and tried to eat my first sweet corn. It is the worst corn that I have ever tasted.  It looked good, but tasted like a old dry starchy rubber tire. I guess it is like that because we have been in a severe drought and I tried to save water by not watering the corn.  I was wondering why the coons did not touch it this year >:(

Offline 69bronco

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 08:49:53 am »
Funny, I'm getting the best sweet corn I've ever grown. Started picking the last week of July, 4 different varieties should run through labor day. Mine is in gravel soil, haven't watered it.