The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Starter won't stop on International pickup  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Kcwoodbutcher

• Startin' to get the hang of it
Re: Starter won't stop on International pickup
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 03:10:17 AM »
I would still try shimming it out with a couple of washers. I had a ford starter that would travel too far and lock itself to the ring gear destroying the bendix when it did. it took about five replacements ( under warranty) before the store figured out that the rebuilder was leaving out a washer at the front of the shaft that limited the amount of travel for the gear.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Offline Logger RK

• I'm new!
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »
On my Detriot motors if it's been -10 or colder & batteries are low, I've had the starter stick on. I'll shut battery master switch off & back on again & most times it stops it from turning. But if I leave it on to long i'll have to tap on the solenoid to get the contact apart. Mine are Delco solenoids which I've taken apart & took emery cloth to get a better contact till I can get a new one. That's what I meant when I said"wielded together",the inner contacts get hot & stick together. If it's that cold I'll put jumpers on while I'm heating the motor to avoid starting sticking problems. And I do keep two good 1000cca batteries in each machine. But most times if it's that cold I'll wait till warms up a little to avoid other cold weather hazard's

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 04:54:30 PM »
Hello,
 If the solenoid is part of the starter then there is a pull in winding and a hold in winding. Once the starter starts ( pull In) then the hold in winding takes less amps and will lock in if the flywheel ring gear is worn or maybe if the spring is incorrect on the solenoid.

hope this helps.
Marty
A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Online starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 05:40:07 AM »
Did you ever get this sorted out?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline chep

• Full Member x2
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 07:10:05 AM »
I just went through this on a 79 f600. Put in a new solenoid. Turned out i over tightened the posts. So when I hooked up the battery the the starter would turn the motor over. Super scary when the truck tried to take off with me under the hood.
 The over tight posts got welded together with the current and created a continuous path for power to the starter. A new solenoid solved the problem...
Good luck

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 07:24:30 AM »
And do disconnect the battery when under the hood. I've even hit it with the oil filter wrench on the ranger.

Online ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »

Put a new starter drive on it.   Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Online richhiway

• Rich
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 08:30:24 AM »
the delco starters with the mounted solenoid are different then starters with remote solenoids. The large wire is hot and runs the motor. The larger wire to the small stud comes from the ignition switch (or from a separate relay or solenoid used as a relay) The smaller wire from the other stud is the ignition bypass. When you turn the switch 12V  energizes the magnet and pulls the lever that engages the drive to the flywheel. When it gets to the bottom of it's travel it closes the contacts and powers the starter motor. It also supplies 12V up the smaller wire to the coil to provide hotter spark for starting. Points can only use 6 volts and use a resistor coil or a ballast resistor when in the run position.
So if the drive gear sticks into the flywheel ring gear the starter will continue to run until the battery goes dead.
Most likely a different starter will solve it. The nose has a bushing that can be bad or the is a stop ring on the shaft that may be missing . Other wise first inspect the flywheel ring gear for burrs. Usually you can just file them off. Next install the starer without the solenoid and engage it manually to see if the gears engage without binding. You can use a wire feeler gauge to check the clearance. You can't shim a international starter like a GM it mounts differently. I have never seen the spring have anything to do with it. The rpm of the running engine throws the drive back,the spring just keeps it there.
Logosol M-7
New Holland 35 hp tractor
International T-6 Dozer
Takeuchi mini excavator
Stihl Chainsaws