The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Solar ???  (Read 4977 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
Re: Solar ???
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2016, 09:04:10 am »
BTW, Klunker, 20K BTU/hr for a 2800 sq ft house is pretty impressive. Is that your expected peak load?  How cold does it get in your area?

At any rate, you must have an incredibly well sealed and insulated house.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Klunker

• I'm new!
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2016, 12:30:22 pm »
yes, thats peak load.
8" neopor sip walls with and an additional 1" of foam on the outside.
So what about R35-38 walls and R60 ceiling, R24 on basement walls and under basement floor.
Triple pane Fiberglas windows R5.5.
we get about a week or two of subzero weather usually during the winter, I'd say the ave. temps in Jan . are around 10-20 deg F.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2016, 07:38:13 pm »
The system I posted about back on April, 17 of 2016 is at my sugarhouse. I now have added another system at my home. There I am completely isolated from the grid (the solar, not the home). I put in 1710 watts of panels (6@285W each). The power enters the home thru a basement wall. In there I have an MPPT charge controller, an 3524 Outback inverter and the energy is stored in a 24V Rolls battery bank at 683 AH. I started back in June, but didn't finish in time. When I started NY State had not yet adopted the 2014 NEC. I thought I was finished on Oct. 18, 2016. However I then discovered that NY had adopted the 2014 NEC effective 10/3/16. As such, my final inspectiohn then required me to conform to the new code, specifically relating to "Rapid Shut Down" requirements. A good idea, but one that cost me $2500 additional. All solar systems, both grid tied (they had to since the 2011 NEC) and off grid required a "rapid Shut down" feature. In case of any emergency, fire or other, first responders must have a single point shutdown control to shut off all power in the system, it must break power from the panels, and the charge controller, the inverter and the battery bank. Those controls are far pricier that the simple shut off switch required under previous NEC codes (but are much safer for firemen and other first responders). In my situation I needed 4 points that shut down the entire system, one at the location of my electric grid meter, one within 10' of the solar panels, one within 10' of where the power enters the home and 1 near the panel board where the charge controller, inverter and close to where the battery bank is.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline gimpy

• Full Member x2
  • Finally an owner
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2017, 02:10:14 am »
Darrell,

PM me if you are interested. I recently went to a Solar presentation there in town put on by individuals. A few people doing it and a few of us just starting research. Really good folks in your neighborhood. I'm in K-Falls & Chiloquin so we're close.

If I can help get you to people who might be able to help that have a good handshake.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box