The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Sawyer\Sawmill\Forester help in Sylacauga, AL  (Read 1549 times)

Offline CJ5

Sawyer\Sawmill\Forester help in Sylacauga, AL
« on: December 11, 2015, 08:55:52 pm »
I am looking to build a relationship with a sawmill in my area. I have a property with all hardwoods and am building a shop, campground and eventually cabin. looking for ideas on using some of my own wood and or getting rid of wood as I clear areas.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
Re: Sawyer\Sawmill\Forester help in Sylacauga, AL
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:44:09 pm »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

That sounds like a good plan, to build a local relationship.
If you find a sawmill, see if they may need an extra hand once in awhile when short-handed. Gets your foot in the door, and may lead to something down the line.
Or if possible, start off buying some lumber from the mill.

Wish you well, and hope we can join you on the "ride"..  8)

Click on your forum name, and it will take you to where you can fill in at least a location in your profile. Helps interpret your post(s) as you probably already notice when reading other posts here. ;)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:39:16 am »
CJ5,

Good luck on your plan. Sounds very reasonable. I wish you lived near me as I'd sure be willing to jump on such an offer.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:14:58 am »
Hello CJ5, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Unfortunately looking at the Member Map, I do not see any active FF members very close to you.  I like your plans so maybe you will be the one that others will want to seek.  You certainly are in a beautiful area of the state. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline CJ5

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 09:11:00 am »
Thanks, Guys. I will keep looking. In the meantime, I will keep reading and learning and asking questions.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 07:30:47 pm »
CJ5,

Just a thought - go to the link for Woodmizer on left, click on services, select find a local sawyer, enter Ala and search and see if any of the guys listed are close to you. If so give them a call and see if they are willing to mentor you for some free labor.

The other mill sponsors may have a similar service but I am not familiar with them. If nothing at WM you could contact the other mill sponsors and they may be able to refer you to some of their customers close by.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"