The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Forged in Fire  (Read 8485 times)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
Re: Forged in Fire
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 12:38:40 pm »
Fantastic video links.  Great, there goes another whole segment of my life watching YouTube! :D 

I, too, want to be able to do a little forging.  I made myself a anvil from some 120# rail with added mass and have a semi brake drum I will turn into a forge.  Just need to get (or make?) a hand crank blower.  Wish I was closer to Kbeitz so I could go "shopping" :)  The plan is to make big hinges for my cabin doors.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Farmerjw

• I'm so far behind I think I am in first place.
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 01:22:54 pm »
  Just need to get (or make?) a hand crank blower.

Many people pipe in a hair dryer.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 04:28:47 pm »
I know, but too stinkin' loud!  I'm planning on no power available, 12vdc at best.  What would be cool is a foot powered one, like bellows or maybe a old peddle sewing machine.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2017, 07:58:54 pm »
If you want a bellows blower, there are plans online to build them, I found them when I was looking for a blower and was going to make a forge using a brake drum or a large brake rotor. I got lucky and found a nice vintage cast iron Champion #400 blower in good condition at a fair price. I had been casually looking for a forge for maybe 2 years when I saw an ad in our local Pennysaver. I called and went to look. It turned out the guy had just gotten into it 3-4 years earlier. When he did, he started going all over 3-4 states looking for forges and related equipment. He had acquired 4-5 coal forges made 2 different size gas forges, he had 2 power hammers, about 10 or so post vises, maybe 100+ hammers of all descriptions a bunch of assorted tongs and about 20 or more anvils. However they were not all for sale. I bought what he offered for sale in the adv. plus I also talked him into a 165# Vulcan anvil in like new condition that he didn't really want to sell.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 05:50:30 pm »
Now my next move I think is to build a blacksmith shop. I'm thinking something in the 16-20' wide and 20-24 long. I plan to make it simple, just a basic pole type structure with 10' to bottom of the truss cords, likely stone dust floor, packed, anvil mounted to a "stump" made from a log buried below frost line and plenty sturdy. My Coal forge has no hood, so I'll make a hood and then run the stack up thru the steel roof. Might likely be sided with board hemlock and no batten. A couple of windows and I will wire it from the main panel at the sugarhouse, which is 200A, might run 60A 240 direct burial to the shop. Will have LED lighting which is bright.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2017, 07:09:51 pm »
Well my name is Smith and yes I came  from a long linage of metal workers .I know basic blacksmithing and although I've made knives I've never forged one .

As for the show,like any reality thing it's obviously scripted .----BTW a power hacksaw blade makes a dandy knife .