The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Finding a driving job  (Read 962 times)

Offline Jerrycan

• Member*
  • I'm new!
Finding a driving job
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:53:17 pm »
I am a 36 year old looking to get out of the oilfield and into logging
On vancouver island, willing to work anywhere
I'll would love to get Into strictly off-road logging, in the oilfield that's where I'm most comfortable
Is off road, I'm having trouble finding any leads into the industry, I'm visiting my daughter on the island and planing on touring a few companies to talk to someone.
I have tons of off road experience and love challenges
I've never logged but work around loggers frequently.
I've hauled heavy equipment
And moved drilling rigs my whole driving career, raised in a truck right from the start *DanG near, I eat sleep truck
Would love to get in a P16.
I posses a
Class 1
Clean abstract
I'm not union but will to do what ever I have to fit in
I'm a level headed safety orientated person, very hard worker and a fire under my ass to go.go.go hard

If anyone has someone or knows what steps I should take would be greatly appreciated
Looking at moving in three years but will go sooner for the right candidate or position

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
Re: Finding a driving job
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 12:19:52 am »
Welcome to the forum. This is not the time of year to be looking for jobs in logging on the west coast. Pretty much everything is shut down due to the hot, dry weather. Consider starting to pound pavement with a clean, concise, up to date resume in late fall, winter is prime production time once the roads and landings freeze up. Of course they don't do that on the island so you will have to talk to local contractors to get a feel for their needs.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 08:51:49 am »
I wish you the best Jerrycan, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline BradMarks

• Foresters are TREE-mendous
    • Pacforest Supply
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:19:09 am »
An eye opener:   Log truck drivers make a LOT less than oilfield workers.  But hats off to you for seeking another profession.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:33:21 pm »
An eye opener:   Log truck drivers make a LOT less than oilfield workers.  But hats off to you for seeking another profession.

A lot of truth to that statement. lol
I bought my first log truck and last winter was my first logging season, which in turn caused me to by a mill somehow. Financially neither really makes sense, especially at my age. lol
Last month a terminal manager was trying to get me to lease on, I told him no as winter is their busy season and I would be running my log truck. He ask if I thought I would make more money with the log truck. I told him heck no, there was no money in it, but that is what I was going to do. lol Sometimes, it is just not about money.
Good drivers that can run off road and keep the equipment together are few and far between, so you should not have a problem finding work.
Something my grandfather said some 50 or more years ago comes to mind. Anybody can drive a truck, but there just isn't many truck drivers.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.