The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Bears  (Read 11575 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
Re: Bears
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 07:35:23 pm »
You can still buy Tenderflake by the bucket.  :D ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 10:02:09 pm »
I have seen some really big ones in Colorado. but I doubt that we will ever have a hunt-able population here. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2015, 10:34:25 pm »
Many counties in WV have open season on them. Ours opened a few years ago. We occasionally have one come across the pasture or yard. Wife saw a cub in front yard last year - I guess mom had already crossed under neighbor's fence. (One stepped on my gas valve several years back while I was overseas and reduced flow on the ball valve. Wife talked with plumber and decided bad water heater and replaced . No change. More troubleshooting found the valve under crossing half shut. I now have it taped open with duct tape.) I have eaten it but don't care for it and my land is posted so I have told all neighbors off limits if he makes it to my place. They don't do any damage to anything I have. Saw first one here last year in October while bowhunting back side of my place.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 05:45:28 am »
They are bad around the lake cottages. They have learned how to push up and open those lidded community dumpsters. I bet they could open a jam jar.  ;D :D

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 06:51:24 am »
We were sitting outside a nice restaurant about an hour south of Anchorage AK a couple years ago waiting for them to open when my BIL noticed a black bear come out and try to get in the dumpster. My wife jumped out and started taking pictures. Bear walked around then climbed on top and bounced up and down trying to get in but no joy so he took a crap on the lid of the dumpster, climbed down and went back in the woods.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 08:03:44 pm »
Close ups.

~Ron

Offline pep

• Full Member x2
  • Lucas Owner
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 07:58:49 am »
Had another bear at my shop yesterday, the eleventh since April. My G-Shepard chased it away.  She was about 10 ft. From it by the time I called her back. Sure am glad that I bring her to work everyday otherwise I would need eyes in the back of my head.  I'm not a bear hunter but I might have to change that.  Ever since the spring hunt was cancelled the Bears have been multiplying like rabbits. 
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 05:17:31 pm »

~Ron

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Website Link
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 05:24:16 pm »
We were sitting outside a nice restaurant about an hour south of Anchorage AK a couple years ago waiting for them to open when my BIL noticed a black bear come out and try to get in the dumpster. My wife jumped out and started taking pictures. Bear walked around then climbed on top and bounced up and down trying to get in but no joy so he took a crap on the lid of the dumpster, climbed down and went back in the woods.

lol lol lol lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 04:56:46 pm »
Bear in the Night

~Ron

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 05:05:46 pm »
My bear on the woodlot likes pruning saws.....to eat the handles. :D

Dirty Harry

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2015, 06:44:01 pm »
When I worked in West Virginia on the Monongahela National Forest, the bear there would eat and destroy our wooden road and trail signs. We would have to place stiff wire over them for some protection.
~Ron

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2015, 12:56:11 am »
I saw a young bear this summer at a new sign post on the highway. It's a treated post and he was clawing and biting it. I put up a bat house on a treated post set in cement and one liked to claw and bite at it to. He only made his mark once and figured it didn't taste too good. ;D :D I think it must relate back to them clawing and pushing over dead wood to find grubs or something.  I know the old rotten solitary logs on the ground get a good role every spring. :D

Dirty Harry

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 07:57:45 pm »
On the bear trail. Headed northeast again, similar to previous years photo, but later in the day.

~Ron

Offline Carson-saws

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2016, 07:42:02 pm »
Ron Scott...you aughtta be on a first name basis with them there bears by now...You have you a regular crowd.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2016, 07:43:12 pm »
A bear didn't like the bluebird house in this area.

~Ron

Offline Carson-saws

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2016, 07:49:02 pm »
didn't like the house, but them birds sure were tasty.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2016, 02:52:20 pm »
I see where one bear marked his home territory with some big dung piles. Don't see that too often in this neck of the woods. Used to find it all the time in BC.  ;D

We have blue birds nesting by the garden, but no bears. ;)

Dirty Harry

Offline ppine

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2016, 10:03:21 am »
A friend of mine is a timber framer and does a lot of work around Lake Tahoe. Two years ago he was out on the Cal/Neva Peninsula which has some large lots and many big rocks and denning sites.  Every day at least 5 bears would go by the job site. They had names for them , and had no troubles. The largest a garbage eating bear was huge, they called "Minivan." He always went through fences instead of over them.

One afternoon a new bear shows up. He was a young male, blondish fur, kind of beat up looking and under weight.  He was probably searching for a new territory.  The bears hangs around the the job site for half an hour.  The guys working there are going up and down ladders and keeping an eye on him. My friend is eye balling this bear.  All at once the bear lowers his shoulder and comes at him at a dead run. No warning signs of woofing or clacking of jaws. My friend runs to his truck and gets inside with about 30 yards to spare. He has a revolver but did not use it. The bear finally wanders off.  After some discussion, it was concluded that this was a predatory charge. We reported this bear to CA Fish and Game and NV DOW.  Black bears are typically not predatory but a few are and you don't know what order they come in.
Forester

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 10:48:03 pm »

Looking good. ;D
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987