The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Bears  (Read 11602 times)

Offline pep

• Full Member x2
  • Lucas Owner
Bears
« on: April 11, 2015, 09:36:03 am »
Was cutting firewood at my shop this week with my side kick(4-1/2) year old German Shepard when I hear a big commotion.  When I shut off the saw and look up I see a black shape in a tree not far from me..  I call the dog and she comes, I put her in the truck.  Then I see two cubs(last years) about 30 or 40 feet up the tree with the sow about 20 feet up.  They stayed in the tree for 2 hours.  Ever since the government cancelled the spring bear hunt, I've been seeing bears regularly at home and at the shop. Getting too close for comfort.  Think I will bring the 12 ga. With slugs to work.  Never had a bear problem till about 4 years ago.  Ever since u see them all the time.. Some big boars too.  When we go to the dump on Tuesday or sat the Bears r there and they aren't  afraid, even with Cubs.
Sure wish the DanG Liberals would bring the hunt back.  They have their hands full with the more than 2 million raccoons living in Toronto along with the 2.6 million people.
Cheers
Pep

Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Offline pabst79

• The irons have melted
Re: Bears
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 10:09:42 am »
Hey Pep, 

That fish camp up by Pickle Lake we go to, has had a huge bear problem ever since the spring hunt was shut down, the lodge owner has to shoot on average 5-7 problem bears a year. 5 years ago a large boar ripped the door off the cottage that my folks were staying in! Dad chased him out with a mop!  :D  They are so overpopulated that the little one's are starving and will do anything for food. Silly how city folks decide what happens in the bush, just ain't right. say_what

Josh
4th Generation Plumber/Fitter who moonlights in too many hobbies to master any, 2 little girls are a blessing and ensure that a new mill may be a few months...years away.

Offline DonT

• Lifes rough wear a helmet
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 11:29:07 am »
I thought they had opened the spring bear hunt back up in Northern Ontario,or was that just in certain areas?  It would be good for Northern Ontario tourism.

Offline pep

• Full Member x2
  • Lucas Owner
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 08:17:48 am »
DonT. They opened the hunt in three areas.  Sudbury, north Bay and I think thunder bay . The liberals think Northern Ontario ends at north bay. Little do they know it takes two days to drive out of ontario.
Pabst79   The north has a huge bear problem.  I've heard of farmers combining their fields and seeing ten bears pop up.  Once the blue berries and choke cherries are done, the Bears start moving north of me to the fields for oats.  The farmers have culled quite a few.  Also been lots of sightings in the neighboring towns.. Just getting too close for comfort.
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 01:04:51 pm »
Never had a problem in 60 years here in NH. Maybe we need more Bears. :D :D :D :D
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline DDDfarmer

• did you know 4/3 people don' know their fractions
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 03:02:16 pm »
bears pop up and.... pop.. back down  ;D
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Offline DDDfarmer

• did you know 4/3 people don' know their fractions
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 03:05:56 pm »
Two years ago I counted 18 within a mile of the farm.  That was in the spring not quite sure how many were around to den up in the fall. quite a few were harvested in the fall hunt, well the ones that were left.

I think there is a spring hunt south of hwy 11 on the Timmins side.  There's more north of 11 due to the crops but that guy was almost killed south of town, maybe that's why its open there?
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Offline pabst79

• The irons have melted
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:06:58 pm »
We always spend a day or two in Ignace on our way to Pickle, not sure how far East or West on 11 your talking about, but there is a dump just north of town on 599, 9 times outa 10 there will be bears in the road when we travel through.  :rifle:
4th Generation Plumber/Fitter who moonlights in too many hobbies to master any, 2 little girls are a blessing and ensure that a new mill may be a few months...years away.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 04:46:27 pm »
Camera Shy Bears

~Ron

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 10:37:32 am »
DanG Ron, that middle one looks like a pig to me  ???

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 05:31:59 pm »
This might be the smaller one that looks like a pig. They keep trying to avoid the camera. I had moved it to try and get a better picture of the larger one, but it must have swiped the camera as it was moved out of position and the tree attachment strap to the tree was partly broken. It's a good thing that I have a bear cover over the camera.

~Ron

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 06:26:45 pm »
Must associate your camera box with a bait box...  some good closeups.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 07:03:53 pm »
Bear still traveling this area for the past two weeks.

~Ron

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 10:02:35 pm »
Stepson got a few pictures of a bear on my land a few years back. The other night I saw a bear cross the road. First bear I have ever seen myself around here.. My Father hunted this land his whole life and never saw a bear.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 10:25:15 pm »
come to my place theres lots of them and when you leave take them with you  :) :)

Offline pep

• Full Member x2
  • Lucas Owner
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 09:12:33 pm »
X 2  no shortage of bears here. Saw 3 Saturday , 1 on Tuesday  and 1 today. Got to have eyes in the back of your head.
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 07:08:01 am »
Napadogan area is full of bears. It's almost like a circus. I managed to see a lynx out there Thursday as well as two moose. Lots of rabbits to eat, at least 6 per mile early in the morning. Two make a dozen and by 3 generations a year you can't count'm all. :D

I've scared off 2 bear this past month off the roads I work along (walking). Amazing how they don't see you and then when they do they are scarce quick.

I think the bear hunt has been declining in number of hunters. Gun laws (err tax) have not helped.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline pabst79

• The irons have melted
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 08:50:44 am »
We came back from Pickle Lake 2 weeks ago, seen lots of bears along road, and a couple in camp by the cabins  :rifle:  Locals are begging for a spring season!

Online coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 05:53:03 pm »
 ooops there is a season  on them :laugh: :laugh:

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 07:27:03 pm »
No Bears here wish we did have some sure would like to have some Bear fat to render into lard for dough nut's
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets