The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Barns Restorations in Iowa  (Read 846 times)

Offline Brian_Weekley

• I am Batman!
Barns Restorations in Iowa
« on: March 21, 2015, 08:55:31 am »
Just an interesting short video on barn restorations in Iowa.  Hard to believe that barns in Iowa are disappearing at a rate of 1000 per year.  Having bicycled across Iowa a few years ago, it's a beautiful state.  Very sad to see this happening here and across the country.  Save your barns!

e aho laula

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
Re: Barns Restorations in Iowa
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:30:13 am »
When IA farms changed from dairy/beef/pigs/chickens around the mid sixty's and moved to mostly grain, there was no need for a barn. New construction turned out to be large sheds to hold machinery, or hog/turkey/chicken factories where they didn't see the light of day.

No need to have the added expense of keeping a roof on the barn and when the rain leaks in, the structure goes in a hurry. So not hard for me to believe, as Iowans want to keep it looking beautiful.

I contend that if people want to see the old barns saved, they should dig in their pockets and donate a new roof so the rain cannot leak through. That is a huge expense.

But no, they just want to get a grant from our taxpayers (who get fewer every year too) like a grant is just free money falling from the sky.  Save a barn or two, not everyone seen in disrepair.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others