The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Dovetail Log Cabin  (Read 11917 times)

Offline bama20a

Re: Dovetail Log Cabin
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »
Greeting Fred: Was wondering? The cabin you built in the 1st set of pics- what type of stain or sealer did you use? Sure like the looks of it.Mark,,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Offline fred in montana

• Full Member x2
    • log dovetail jig plans
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2015, 08:35:13 PM »
Not sure about the codes everywhere in the state but I would suggest checking with the county.

As for the stain, there is a technique to that I have described on this page:

http://logdovetailjig.com/11x15build-4.html
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Offline PA_Walnut

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2018, 07:24:33 AM »
Very interesting thread! If you have larger logs, should one box the heart and use the centers or can you cut multiples from a single log?
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline kantuckid

• Full Member x2
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »
PA Walnut- when I built my home in 1979-80 (from an even aged stand of CCC planted SYP) I specked the logs at 6" thick, 2 natural sides, 8.5" small end/12" large end. That yields some narrow boards as off cuts but obviously includes the heart which is not an issue now or then. I know a guy locally who did a large A-frame using big yellow poplar roof beams and remember him being displeased with the amount of large cracks to the heart in his home.
A local company sells and builds EWP log homes which are made in the "hewed look" what with larger rectangular cross sectioned cants and I have seen those homes after some years and very few cracks that would matter.
This time around on a smaller cabin, I'm using self sawed, "D" logs, 6" thick and have Fred's plans and will be making my jigs when the weather moderates a bit! I will definitely go for multiple "D" logs on larger trees and smaller one try for two if they get my width spec of ~8". Some of the smaller trees may saw into the first run which will be 6x7" to allow for slabs to cover the floor system and that first run.

It's been too cold to heat my shop of recent or saw outside. CALL ME A WUSS? :'(
  Todays weather for central FL-in the 70's! We leave mid month for some bicycle weather, my hands are chapped and need a break.

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not