The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 224989 times)

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #1920 on: November 07, 2017, 07:16:10 am »
Ship it off to the hamptons.  Theyre only getting $700/cord!  ::)

https://hamptonsfirewood.com/mobile-hamptons-firewood.php
700 seems like a lot but just think how much it costs to them to prep it there is a guy that does about the same thing he getting 500 a cord   told me after all expenses hes only making 90 a cord   he told me the biggest chunk goes to the court house for tickets  :D

Online mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #1921 on: November 07, 2017, 09:53:29 am »
I get $100/cd before expenses.  Our markets might be a little different

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1922 on: November 07, 2017, 05:51:42 pm »
that's all you get is a 100 for a full cord of wood down there  :o  its funny how different parts of the country is cheap on some things and expensive on others  ill send down some of the cheap skate NY people  for ya  :D :D

Online mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #1923 on: November 07, 2017, 08:23:08 pm »
Delivered.. Ill stack it if i hafta. 

I could probably do $150 a cord if i was willing to do this "rick" crap.

Ricks are basically any old 4x8 row of wood.. But then one guy wants 24" row and the other wants 17.  One guy tips you, one gripes.  I hate ricks. 

Next year ill be more established and will get $150 a cord or not bother.   Alternative income streams will be more developed by then. 

Chippin away at it.  Just glad i can afford to work this cheap.  Most people cant.

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
« Reply #1924 on: November 07, 2017, 08:47:22 pm »
barge do you process outside now? I assume so since  the bells has a cab  ;D
john

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1925 on: November 07, 2017, 10:12:50 pm »
 I've got an "Italian" customer who has been after me to send bundled wood down to the island, has to be perfect, at the end of the day your not making much. A guy about 1hr of me does alot of bundled wood, you can sell alot of wood cheap when your labor force doesn't have a green card. I'm 230-240 a cord local right now, @ 150 a cord there's nothing left, doesn't cover the fuel to deliver it.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1926 on: November 07, 2017, 10:16:24 pm »
barge do you process outside now? I assume so since  the bells has a cab  ;D

The heat actually works pretty good, I'm 6'1" and about 220 and the cab is kind of tight for me, your not getting a 400lb guy in there. She will be getting 4-6 LED lights ASAP, load the trucks ahead for the next morning, all my neighbors say that slasher saw has quite the echo.
 We went with this used one because to fit it inside I've got to basically cut 1/4 of the machine off. Cut the hitch and move 1 leg and shorten the livedeck length wise, I want to get the room and livedeck pad poured 100% in concrete so it's going to be a summer project.

Online mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #1927 on: November 08, 2017, 01:13:03 am »
Whats the retail price on bundles up there?   I just started experimenting with them here yesterday.  5 gallon bucket worth.

Offline brianJ

• Full Member x2
  • Only get excersize if I choose the right hobby
« Reply #1928 on: November 08, 2017, 07:51:59 am »
Im getting 180 to 200 a cord depending on how far delivery is.    @Barge I graduated SUNY Cobleskill and now live a bit west of you.   Got some family in that area.   

Anyhow for me I am trying to get customers that will take green wood the season before rightout of the field.   Saves me stockpiling then handling another time.   I will stay small enough firewood is fun for me and just a side revenue stream.   

Online mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #1929 on: November 08, 2017, 10:01:09 am »
Im fairly stunned by it, but people in middle tn will buy completely green firewood to burn that winter.  Many prefer it, seriously.  Im out of seasoned and selling wood right off the splitter, first thing i say when they call.    Up north id be getting sued.

Just started mixing in bone dry hickory slab chunk from a mill to help my conscience.  Atleast that was they have something to light easy and help dry the other pieces.

Online TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #1930 on: November 08, 2017, 10:13:43 am »
LOL I hear that to.  I know several people that prefer green wood, "Cause it burns longer."

Nevermind that you have to burn more of it to get the same heat and clean the chimney more often...  ::)
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Online mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #1931 on: November 08, 2017, 03:03:03 pm »
Well, i will admit there are cases where a little wet aint so bad.  A lot of folks live in singlewides and uninsulated shacks.  And we dont really have a "winter" by northern standards.  Last year the ground was only frozen 4" deep for maybe a week.  Itll be cold at night and sometimes almost hot in the daylight if its sunny.  So the need for max BTU is rare, but its a pain to either start several fires a day.. Or have to keep feeding in tiny amounts of wood to not cook yourself out.   But with no insulation, 80* will turn into 50* real quick so you still want the stove on a bit.

The people that like wet wood are the ones that want to pack the stove and just let it simmer.  I know a guy with a dry pile and a wet one to control what temp he wants.  I mean sitting in the rain wet.  Chimney is just a scrap of rusty tin pipe out the wall. 

The simple life.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1932 on: November 08, 2017, 05:31:14 pm »
we never burnt season/dry wood ever when I was growing up   and never had issues with chimney plugging up or getting enough heat 

Online TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #1933 on: November 09, 2017, 08:39:44 am »
I know a guy with a dry pile and a wet one to control what temp he wants.  I mean sitting in the rain wet.

Sounds like it the stove could use a new door seal...   :)

Green wood on a windy day plugs up my raincap.   >:(  Hedge is fine anytime, but Elm has to be well dried and kept dry.  Even standing dead oak, we try to let it dry a week or two.   ;)
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Online mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #1934 on: November 09, 2017, 06:44:28 pm »
Door gasket?  Its made from a water heater. :D

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #1935 on: November 10, 2017, 08:53:58 pm »
here in my area you would be hard pressed to get $150 a cord, 2 hours east its $350 a cord . up north its $250 to $300 a cord .

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #1936 on: November 10, 2017, 08:55:20 pm »
Barge its a good machine and will do you well , sure does not look like its got many hours on it

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1937 on: November 12, 2017, 10:40:01 pm »
Im getting 180 to 200 a cord depending on how far delivery is.    @Barge I graduated SUNY Cobleskill and now live a bit west of you.   Got some family in that area.   

Anyhow for me I am trying to get customers that will take green wood the season before rightout of the field.   Saves me stockpiling then handling another time.   I will stay small enough firewood is fun for me and just a side revenue stream.
Somewhere I've seen a meme about the "Colby college starter set" which had an ag sweatshirt, a can of Copenhagen, boots and a truck. 😂 I'm in the southern end of the county in Gilboa.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1938 on: November 12, 2017, 10:42:21 pm »
Barge its a good machine and will do you well , sure does not look like its got many hours on it
307.6 on the dial as of tonight. It's one thing to watch one at the show, yeah ok yeah yeah, sit in the cab and slam 8-12cord thru it, that thing doesn't care. Never seen a splitter with so much force. That splitter chamber is solid and the main bar behind is solid but I can see down the road something is going to fatigue.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #1939 on: November 13, 2017, 07:50:12 am »
Barge, their pretty good, have not heard much trouble on welds breaking , thought it looked nice and pretty  ;D, so now what are you going to do with all this money your making ?  new 635 TC ?  you cannot take it with you so you might as well spend it LOL