The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: LT15 vs LT15 wide?  (Read 85 times)

ronwood, brianb88 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline gump

• I'm new!
LT15 vs LT15 wide?
« on: Today at 10:08:35 AM »
After considering buying a bandsaw mill for sometime now, I have narrowed my search to the Wood-Mizer LT15 or LT15 wide. Original thinking was to go mobile and be able to generate a bit of income in retirement. I have enough planned projects to do that I do not need to travel and I can save a lot in the initial capital investment by down grading from an LT35 to LT 15. I also don't want the headaches of other peoples schedules or commitments. We will be moving off-grid to our woodlot (160acres) and homesteading there. We currently have a very comfortable log cabin with minimal solar power and running water during the summer months. I have made the decision that a stationary mill is all I require. Over the next several years I need to construct several buildings... a structure for the mill, new bathhouse/sauna which will give us running water year round while building the new house, new wood shed, equipment storage shed, maple sugar house and finally new house!! I have a nice woodlot with a nice mixture of wood of different age classes and species.
I am considering sawing the bigger soft wood on the woodlot myself and selling the more uniform smaller diameter logs locally as they would rather that type of wood anyway. I also have a fair amount of Hardwood that is saw log worthy which I would like to saw as well.
This leads to my recent dilemma of getting the wide mill or not. I had already decided on upgrading the LT15 to the 25 hp with power feed. Seeing I plan on cutting larger diameter trees and potentially sell some wider type material I have been thinking of the LT15 wide. Given the upgrades I was making to the LT15 this would only be a little more than a couple thousand canadian dollars more. I do have a loader to help with bigger logs etc..But essentially I am all alone with no help unless grandchildren want to help once they get old enough LOL.
I have searched and haven't found anything in helping me finalizing this decision yet. I am ready to "pull the trigger" on this mill within the next week or so.
My background is forestry and woodlot management. This sawing adventure is completely new to me. Looking forward to retirement within 5 years and enjoying my woodlot.
Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
Re: LT15 vs LT15 wide?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:25:13 PM »
Those big ones are a bear to handle alone. They can make a "thud"when they hit the mill too. I sell my big logs and saw the small ones.   ;D About 1 feet across is good for me. I had a big one on my manual mill, I could turn it,but could not dog it in,until it was squared on 2 sides. I had to get the wife to dog it in. Yes,you can use a tractor,but lots of getting on and off and only one more inch,turns into 2 inches than back to one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Stuart Caruk

• Woodmizer Stationary timber processing
Re: LT15 vs LT15 wide?
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:42:29 PM »
Ordinarilly, I'd say that you can always run the blade guides in on a wide to cut smaller logs, but you can't cut big logs on a smaller machine. But, yes, with a manual mill, unless you have the support equipment to roll the logs and flip the cants, you're just creating a ton of work for yourself. I can't imagine a mill without hydraulic log handling anymore.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker, Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.