The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: diesel lombard tractor  (Read 42505 times)

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
  • Just hangin' around :)
    • Johnson Hollow Sawing and Shingle Making
Re: diesel lombard tractor
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
 ;D  Just light beer !! in my old age. ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offline ozarkgem

• Senior Member x2
  • age 65 yrs old
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 06:25:03 PM »
Al, i get all my best tools at the junkyard!!!people throw away good old american made stuff and buy new chinese crap !!!! ??? actually today i found a standard cutlery Bowie knife made in England around 1900, one on e-bay for $400 !!!! ;D
Do your local scrap yard sell by the pound? Its 15 cents a pound here. That is where I am getting most of my metal for my mill build. If I had time I would see if I could build a mill totally from the scrap yard.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 06:54:09 PM »
It depends on what it is to sell,just steel pretty much by the lb.old equipment,engines ,stuff like that he just sets a price on.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 06:07:39 PM »
Heres a few more pictures,i have the hood handles on, the steering chains on, fitting the td-18 fuel tank,and the newly cast platform chairs bolted on. I have a radiator core being built by Maine radiator in Auburn Maine,and today sawed out a big white oak to build the platform that the cab would bolt to. I am bolting down the platform green so it will dry in place.Heres a few more pictures.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »
 smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup  Great project  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »
So what are you going to do with it when you're done? :)
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »
Peter,I haven't thought that far ahead ! ;D ;D I know i will run it a few times at some snowmobile meets, got to compete with the model"T" ford snowmobiles.I intend to finish making a couple sets of sleds to pull behind it ,for a historic display. Don

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »
Auburn is only an hour from me. When you come pick on the raditor,just a little bit more will bring you to my place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »
Who do you use for casting work? We use an Amish place in PA.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 07:08:10 AM »
There is a non-ferrous foundry in Franklin about 30 miles from me,Patriot Foundry,great people to do work with,young couple own it and are very accommodating,i brought parts in loose with no patterns,and they did great work.The only iron foundry left in N.H. is in Nashua. Years ago when i had iron castings made i used Buchanan brothers foundry in Chelmsford Mass.

Offline Don_Papenburg

• Senior Member x2
  • I need
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 09:35:03 PM »
If you need iron cast , CanDo in StAnne ,Illinois will ship across the country . send him a part or pattern . He will make the parts you need .  I watched him cast an exhaust stack  for a Case steamengine . It was about 65" tall .  He makes brake shoes for modelT fords on a standing order .  I have had a lot of parts cast myself . I think he does a good job . let me know if you need any info for CanDo Metals
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Offline Skip

• Saw hard or stay home.
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 08:43:40 AM »
I gottta throw my 2 cents worth in this one of the most interesting posts I have followed in a long time loggah you the man !!  ;D

Online Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 05:27:18 PM »
Hi Loggah
I live in NH and my BIL lives in Campton and is in the logging trade .
When you run the tractor I  would love to see it run .
Thanks Jim/Bruno of NH
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »
Jim, Who is your BIL?? send me a pm with his name ,pretty shore i know every logger in town. ;D I wont have this machine running until next summer. I got called from Maine radiator today ,my core is ready headed over to Maine on monday morning. I have the deck half done,will finish it tomorrow and then finish mounting the fuel tank. Don

Offline ozarkgem

• Senior Member x2
  • age 65 yrs old
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 05:30:44 AM »
Heres a few more pictures,i have the hood handles on, the steering chains on, fitting the td-18 fuel tank,and the newly cast platform chairs bolted on. I have a radiator core being built by Maine radiator in Auburn Maine,and today sawed out a big white oak to build the platform that the cab would bolt to. I am bolting down the platform green so it will dry in place.Heres a few more pictures.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.) (Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
I the last pic you may want to beef up that center drive shaft. Looks a little weak to me. ;)
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 07:44:46 AM »
The Lombard factory tried pretty hard to build things that wouldn't break ! ;D the shaft is solid 2 1/2" diameter steel and has some massive u-joints on each end. I have seen main axles spirlal twisted off and left in the woods and they are 3 1/2" in diameter! :o Don

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »
Over the weekend i finished building the deck and then i finished bolting down the fuel tank.The floorboards in side the cab area are removable and the center panels over the driveline are also.I bolted and screwed this together out of White Oak we just sawed last week had about 500 board ft out of 1 log,i had a bunch of it sawn into 1 3/4" that i will stick and let dry to build the cab frame. Heres some pictures of the deck.

Offline Buddyw

• Full Member x2
  • I'm old
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 01:28:38 PM »
Nice work Loggah.
Wish I could be their to lend a hand.
I like that old equipment. ;D

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 06:07:26 PM »
Buddy, My work is pretty crude compared to your restored equipment!  ;D Snowing and raining today drove to Lewiston Maine and picked up my radiator core. I plan on bolting the radiator together tomorrow,and then start building my front skis.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »
Are the skis W Oak too?
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987